Recommend me a noob friendly video editing software.

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Mr. Detective, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys,

I am thinking of making some motivational music video. So what I plan to do is take a song that I like, let's say from a video game, then play it over cutscenes from the same game. I would then add the lyrics in English (perhaps another language as well). Sort of like a typical old fashioned AMV, I guess. :rolleyes: Here's one example:

Not sure how far I want to go with this, but it's something I have been interested in trying. So, can anyone recommend me any good video editing software? Right now, I am trying out Movavi and Cyber Link Power Director programs. I find that CLPD is not really good for adding text effects. It's kinda limited and cumbersome to do, and something complicated like in the video is not possible. :confused: Or should I just create a music video I like and then find another program designed to add subtitles to videos?

For those who have some experience, how hard would you say it is to make a video like the one above? :stickytongue:

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

If you check through the forum I've just moved this to, you will find a number of threads discussing this which you may find helpful.

3. Darkanine

Darkanine ...In my thoughts and in my dreams... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Older versions of Windows Movie Maker (circa 2012) are pretty easy for new comers, and decently powerful. I used to make a ton of AMVs in that software when I was younger. AVS Video Editor isn't terribly complicated either and much more powerful (but expensive), same goes with Sony Vegas in my limited experience with it.

You'd probably want a more advanced editor if you want to add lyrics. Movie Maker supports fonts, but AVS supports layers, which means you can get crazier and more creative. I think Vegas supports layering too, but it's been awhile since I used it.

aironneil likes this.
  4. aironneil

aironneil Indecisive Creator Veteran

I can't think of anything funny to put here...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Most of the simpler video editors don't support text effects and layering which is what you'd want if you wanted to do the kind of text effects seen in that example you gave. I use Adobe premiere myself...though it's not exactly noon friendly, and it's expensive.

In your position I'd try, like darkanine said, an older version of Windows Movie Maker. I remember liking the one on Windows XP back when I first tried video editing. If you have access to a Mac, I also hear the editor on that is pretty decent.

5. Shikashi

Shikashi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I always hear Sony Vegas is quite intuitive and easy for beginners. I use Premiere Pro for my editing, though thats not as noob-friendly. Both have free trials you can try out.

Making a video like the one you linked wouldn't be difficult, at least with Vegas or Premiere, and there's a lot of tutorials on youtube to help you work out how to achieve certain text effects, etc.

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Camtasia is pretty good but I personally like Adobe Premiere. It's lightweight enough for simple videos and not as crazy as Adobe After Effects (Even tho I love AE)

7. hacksider

hacksider Villager Member

First Language:
    tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vegas has been good to me for almost a decade.