Recommendations for commissioned character art?

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where can I go to find *good* anime-style artists? I'm sitting here scrolling infinitely through deviantart's commission group page thingy, and I'm not trying to be mean, but 99% of it is very amateur and the other 1% is only ok. If I'm going to buy something, I want quality, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for quality as character design is one of the lead draws to someone playing your game.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commercial Games Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Going through sites with tons of commission offers will often lead to amateurs. Professionals often have their own circles and get recommendation from past clients who know their future clients.

If you're looking for RPG Maker specific commissions and low prices, I'd recommend our Classified section on this forum. You can find artists, musicians, coders, etc., all offering their services.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
DeviantArt is an amateur site with only limited numbers of good artists - but you can find good artists with acceptable commission rates there. You just need to have the patience to sort through. Took me several years to get a list of good artists to commission on DA, simply by watching them whenever I accidentally found one.

However, that will be more for concept art or wallpapers - if you're looking for art that can be used in RPG-Maker, that is even more limited on DA. In that case your best bet is to start on this forum like said above.

KoalaFrenzy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ehh. The classifieds here are good for RPG Maker specific work. I've used them and appreciate them. But 2d character art isn't limited to RPG Maker and I want to cast a wider net, as it were.

hacksider

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a specific art style in mind?

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I can recommend you Aekashics art :)

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd say try to find artstyles you like rather than looking specifically for commissions. It's possible that they won't offer commissions or requests, but it's still better than only seeing offers from people you wouldn't want to commission.
This method might take longer and you might not have the patience for it, but if one method doesn't work, just try a different one.

Maybe you'll even find someone who's been thinking of offering commissions, but doesn't have the confidence to. Being the first to commission them might make their day (it would for me at least).

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
actually you just don’t know how much price for the not amateur one on deviant art
they don’t go offer
the job go for them
so you need to ask who catch your attention on their profile
and pray that they had free time or interesting to do comissioning you ask

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So are you looking for art for RM or something else?

KoalaFrenzy

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a specific art style in mind?
I'm a little flexible with the style, as long as it's consistent across the PCs and handful of NPCs I plan to get character art for. It's professional quality of any style that's actually for sale that I'm having issues finding.
Maybe I can recommend you Aekashics art :)
I'm probably going to be using a few of his(her?) monsters. But I at least want my PCs to be original designs.
So are you looking for art for RM or something else?
For RMMV, yes.
actually you just don’t know how much price for the not amateur one on deviant art
they don’t go offer
the job go for them
so you need to ask who catch your attention on their profile
and pray that they had free time or interesting to do comissioning you ask
I'm not saying you're wrong and maybe that works well for them. But if that's the case, forcing potential clients to do cold calls is a terrible way of doing business.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
I'm probably going to be using a few of his(her?) monsters. But I at least want my PCs to be original designs.
That's what they meant. Aekashics, as most artists within the RM community, has done commission work several times. Just message them and see if it works out.

There's plenty of talent here in the RPG Maker community. A lot of it doesn't hang in this forum in particular, though. And, besides the ones scattered throughout the other English-speaking RPG Maker communities, there's a lot of worldwide communities with a large number of thriving artists, such as the Brazilian RPG Maker community.

But regardless, I do think that right here, in this forum, there's enough diversity and depth of talent for you to find suitable work for your game very easily. We have artists of all skill levels, all price ranges, and with a very diverse palette of aesthetics and influences.

Raizen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well you can check some arts I have asked commission for, the way I found them might also be useful for you. I met 1 or 2 artists from facebook/communities, even like this one, asked for recommendations and set up a "network", usually artists have more artists that they follow and therefore you can kind of get into their networking to really be inside some awesome artists!

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As mentioned by others simply private message those artist you find appealing and ask if they are interested or know of someone that has similar style or skills that might be interested.

You might get a few no's and some non-responses but it is by far the best way to find what you are looking for and a good way to establish relarions for possible future projects. Just remember to be respectful and accepting towards any no you might get.

KingKraken

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tumblr and Twitter especially also have tons of really good artists looking for work as well. The art community on Deviantart is not really the same as it was 5-10 years ago, and now most professionals and skilled hobbyists are using regular social media platforms to advertise themselves.

I'd also say you might find more professionals looking for work at Art Station, as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I wanna try making my game into an app because that sounds cool but I am so lost on how to :kaocry:
I found some tutorial but they all seem to use an older android studio(2.3.3)? I think the current version is 4.0.1?
is there an updated tutorial or do I need to find a way to get 2.3.3.?
My heart goes out to the family of Cannon Hinnant. Shame on all major news networks in America for not reporting that a 5 year old was executed by a grown man. Absolutely disgusting.
I hope Turkey and Greece can settle on the resources dispute peacefully.
whos hyped for rpg maker mz :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pidogec780