8-BitNovels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still just got fresh experience from my first project, and looking forward to gain more in my second project
However, to learn more, any RPG Maker games you recommend?
Both in terms of the game itself and the marketing techniques they've used.

I know stuff at the top such as To The Moon, however, I'm looking for indie budgeted games to inspire from.

Just trying to learn a bit more to increase success >.>

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
here are some games I can recommend:

StoneWorks (favorite) evented abs, parallax, story) (other games are nice too)
Mana Raider (unique battle system) and nice mapping
Mistia (2nd favorite) great story, perfect parallaxing, very nice graphic
in many, many aspect (learn experience here)

there are more games I play and can recommend, but those 3 games can give you
a very nice insight of battle system, story, mapping and unique features that can
be found and learn from how to improve on your own.

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still just got fresh experience from my first project, and looking forward to gain more in my second project
However, to learn more, any RPG Maker games you recommend?
Both in terms of the game itself and the marketing techniques they've used.

I know stuff at the top such as To The Moon, however, I'm looking for indie budgeted games to inspire from.

Just trying to learn a bit more to increase success >.>

If you are looking for traditional JRPG(not horror/adventure/VN), my favorite one in terms of technical aspect is めまぐるしき世界にて.

This game is extremely polished when it comes to plugin use and asset choices. The battles are fast paced and fun with an ATB+break barrier+skill cool down mechanics. Action sequences are fluid, attack animation has weight and good timing(few RPG maker game done this right because action sequence in rpgmaker is so tough to use...). Menu and dialogue box looks professional, with extra effort on animations, transitions and button rotations. Particles are utilized nicely too.

My only gripe is that due to its episodic based nature, game flow is pretty akward. You almost always enter a town by the end of dungeon at an end of an episode, when it should really be the other way around.

As for game design, I think it's more useful to watch extra credit videos for game design philosophy. Or just play games with good reviews and analyze why this game is so good. It doesn't have to be a RM game, you can learn game design from none RM projects as well. I think when it comes to gameplay, budget matters less since it's all about design. If a game's core mechanics aren't fun, then it won't be fun with tons of budget either.

For marketing it's the same deal, go checkout best selling game's steam page and analyze how they market their games. Then just copy their structure if it's the right fit for your project. It doesn't have to be RM game, any game with a successful marketing strategy is worth learning.

Indie game marketing is more about creating a project that gets people's attention to be honest. Try to be different, unique and fun then it'll be an appealing game.

Last edited:

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One that I think it was made first in RPG Maker is Ara Fell.

There are a lot of great games made in RPG Maker that you can see like Lenin: The Lion and Fantasy Farming: Orange Season !

They are all in Steam and everyone one of them have a different focus: Ara Fell has cool combats, Lenin: The Lion focus on a story and Fantasy Farming: Orange Season is like a Harvest Moon.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are there any examples very well polished tactical RPGs made in RM?

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(stabs marketting team)

Evening person creature! I have made game that may aid you in the inspirationing!

Good day and be sure to return the homework. Worship the altar!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know the Garantuan game, also one of its kind front view attack,
same as one of a kind battle system as in Mana Raiders.

that game is also really made well :) (which I could recommend as well).

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
GARGANTUAN
&
BUGGERWORLD

You can learn what makes a game fun from playing these two. :LZScheeze:
Ooh those look great! Buggerworld looks like my kinda jam, I love those weirdo type games.

As for recommendations, I'd have to say Space Funeral, Hylics or One Shot.

If you want like, a more traditional RPG Maker type game though then I'd recommend looking at a game called Umbral Soul. It has some good ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have officially released JABS 2.00.

Do people think there would be value in releasing the non-JABS plugins as separate posts/threads here on this forum?

Additionally, I just would like to drum up excitement/anticipation/hype that I plan on spinning up the following:
- A custom crafting system that grants is modeled after the star ocean franchise.
- A custom menu system to go along with JABS on-the-map.
If a developer focuses too much on describing the game mechanics in the official trailer for their RPG, I'm going to wonder whether their writing is so bad that it doesn't deserve center stage for their game. This seems to be a pitfall for the marketing on a lot of games.
Only 2 projects ongoing, but not quite started yet: World of Persona (you know how it would go by the name) and GAN.
First one would be kinda of a Persona game, (but international not only Japanese!!!), and the other one is just for Spain (at first) (because it needs to be done for each country after all, it's an all-branches educational game)
As far as i can finish World of Persona, it means GAN is viable.
Evening humans! How goes thou day?
Aaaargh I twisted/sprained my ankle a week ago, now Im stuck at home. I mean Im almost healed lol, but my parents probably wouldnt let me go outside because theres a lot of snows and they thought I slipped on a snow (I just had a bit too big booths and thats why :<). Aw man...And a new boruto op came out and its fire. It will be hard not to vibe to it when I cant go out :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weuchyer