Recommended software for managing complex/branching story

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by gundriveth, Jan 5, 2018.

1. gundriveth

gundriveth Medievaliant Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heya there!

I was wondering what did you use to write a long and complex story for your RPG? I am getting quite trouble to write complex stories with Notepad alone. (Preferably a free-to-use one, but paid software is ok too. xD)

Thank you

atoms likes this.
  2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    good ol' Word?
    you really only need a search function, pages, tabulations and columns.
    pretty much anything out there has that, except notepad.

I use notepad myself too! it's quite handy for writing down things so you don't forget, but for the final draft (Final Draft is also a software lol) you need something better.

atoms likes this.
  3. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Scrivener is an amazing program for managing stories and all associated resources. It's got a steep learning curve (do NOT skip the tutorial) but once you get used to managing multiple documents of different types inside your project, using documents and folders interchangeably, and hotlinking your documents together, it becomes an insanely powerful tool.

Edit: Oh, and the trial version only docks you for the days you actually use the program, in 24-hour chunks starting from the time that day when you open it. That really impressed me before I bought it.

EpicFILE likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Articy:draft is probably the most powerfull and professional tool in that are, but it is not free.
    An older version was sold cheap (5$) on bundle sites two times before, and you might want to keep a look out for that, because current version full price is much higher.

There also is a trial available on their own site (steam has no trial of it)

atoms likes this.
  5. gundriveth

gundriveth Medievaliant Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whoa, never heard most of it, even after some hours searching it on the search engine.
    I will try them and choose which one suits my workflow best, and also learning some tricks to work with Word would be nice too. Honestly, I always think it's very linear writing software. xD

Thank you for the suggestions!

Edit: Word with Navigation Pane is best for me. Think there's more than meets the eye of this software to explore.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    atoms likes this.