RMMV RED REAPER | a dark fantasy RPG set in the land of the dead

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

(A dark fantasy RPG set between this life and the next.)

BACKGROUND ON THE GAME
Once upon a time, I wrote and self-published a novel.
And I thought to myself, "Hey! Wouldn't it be hilarious if there was a video game based on my book?"
Unfortunately, none of my friends in the game industry were hiring any writers. So I just bought a copy of RPG Maker MV and started from there.

A writing exercise gone out of control.
A vanity project that shouldn't be this long.
An exercise in futility and mediocrity.
But first and foremost, a role-playing game.

Welcome to Red Reaper.

THE STORY
Hades. The world of the dead. A realm between this life and the next.

In this world, Lost Souls wander its vast wastelands looking for the afterlife. Among them are the Reapers. The Reapers serve a single purpose... and that is to usher the Lost Souls into the afterlife.

But with all the powers the Reapers have, they are under a terrible curse. There can only be seven Reapers at a time. If there are more than seven, a countdown begins. If the Reapers aren't culled by the time the countdown reaches zero, all the Reapers will perish.

The Reaper in charge of culling their numbers is called the Red Reaper.

As for you...
...you are the eighth Reaper.
The countdown has begun.

THE CHARACTERS

The Protagonist
  • This is you. You are weak. You are helpless. You are the eighth Reaper. It was nice knowing you, pipsqueak.
  • You can choose between three genders: male, female, or neither. Can be named.
  • Can be either harmless or homicidal, depending on your choices.
  • Considered the "magic caster" of the two main characters. Has low physical defense and attack power, but makes up for it with high magic defense and attack power.

Narcissa
  • The fearsome yet misunderstood Red Reaper. She finds you shambling about her territory of Lethe. After beating you to within an inch of your life, she decides to spare your life. Huh. That's odd. Maybe there's more to her than first meets the eye.
  • Considered the "tank" of the two main characters. Has high physical defense and attack power, but does not have any offensive magic. Her magic spells involve buffing the offense and defense stats of the party during battle.

GAMEPLAY
  • The game is largely linear, and story-heavy with some RPG-lite combat.
  • The game is relatively easy. I designed it to appeal to people who have never played an RPG in their life.
  • As of right now, the demo contains all of Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, amounting to about 6-8 hours if you're playing at a normal pace.
  • There are no random encounters. Most hostile encounters can be avoided with stealth.
  • There is no grinding. You don't gain experience. The only real reason to fight the limited amount of encounters is to earn money.
  • There is a simple morality system. Depending on what kind of protagonist you are, pieces of dialogue and the story at large can change quite drastically.

TRAILER/SCREENSHOTS

screenie2.png
screenie6.png
screenie9.png
screenie5.png
screenie3.png

Q & A
Why did you make this game?
It's mostly a writing and game design exercise. A learning project, if you will. It's a way for me to showcase what I'm learning so far about RPG Maker MV and all the little techniques I've picked up as I'm making the game.

Is it really based on that book you wrote?
The basics, yeah. It's a retelling of sorts.

Why does the game look so... generic?
I'm using mainly just RTP resources apart from the one weapon that you use. There are no original resources used in the game. Music included. It's just the story and text that's original, really. That's pretty much the only thing I'm mildly proud of. The story.

I found a bug/typo!
Oh no! I'm sorry. :( Tell me immediately. I'll correct it as soon as I can. If it's a big bug, I'll try my best to fix it.

DOWNLOAD LINK

STUFF I'M WORKING ON (SOME SPOILERS)
  • Chapter 3: The Drowned Mother
  • Chapter 4: The Judge and Executioner
  • Chapter 5: The End Of Eternity

CREDITS

ORIGINAL STORY BY:
me

WEAPON SPRITES FROM:
whtdragon's Joke Weapons

MONSTER SPRITES FROM:
Battlers by Thalzon

FACE PARTS FROM:
RPG Maker MV Add-On Pack and Essential Set DLCs
Hiddenone's Resource Warehouse

ADDITIONAL PLUGINS BY:
Yanfly
Galv
Degica (TDDP)
Sasuka Kannazuki
SumRndmDde
Dan "Liquidize" Deptula
Hime
Gilles Meyer
Christian Shicho
Yoji Ojima
Tor Damian Design
Galenmereth
TOMY (Kamesoft)

PLACEHOLDER SFX AND MUSIC BY:
Enterbrain
Nox Arcana
Titan Slayer
KASZIN
Varien
Ramon Levy
Dr. Viossy
Myuu
Misanthropy
Bohren Der Club of Gore
Human Design
Helbinde
Fantom 87
Dronny Darko
Zee Idani
ES Posthumus
Knife Party
Akira Yamaoka

With crowd soundbytes from:
Insane Championship Wrestling
World Wrestling Entertainment
MrDeshawnRAW aka Supa Hot Fire

Last edited:

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.8

Changelog:

-Made the big murder mystery puzzle in Chapter 1 easier to solve with visual hints.
-Added one more match to the tournament in Chapter 2.
-Some small typos corrected.

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.9

Changelog:

-Basically a "prettify" update.
-Changed to 16:9 aspect ratio.
-Changes to overworld sprites and faces.
-Added a minimap! Not that you would ever get lost anyway.
-Total Battle UI overhaul.
-No longer using the default "ghost" sprites for Lost Souls.
-All monster sprites replaced with Thalzon's.
-As usual, assorted bugs and typos fixed.
-Made the Chapter 1 whoddunit puzzle even easier.

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.10

Changelog:

-Chapter 2 completed!
-As usual, assorted bugs and typos fixed!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interesting.

Given the premise I think that the Red Reaper intends to train the protag up to replace them at the end of the game. I like the concept. However just a note, and please don't be offended, but the music in your trailer does not do it justice, I had to turn the sound off because it was quite jarring. I'm not sure if its the same music that's in the actual game, but it would put me off playing it.

However other than that I quite like the idea and would be interested to play when I get through all the other games I've been promising people to play.

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting.

Given the premise I think that the Red Reaper intends to train the protag up to replace them at the end of the game. I like the concept. However just a note, and please don't be offended, but the music in your trailer does not do it justice, I had to turn the sound off because it was quite jarring. I'm not sure if its the same music that's in the actual game, but it would put me off playing it.

However other than that I quite like the idea and would be interested to play when I get through all the other games I've been promising people to play.
Thanks for the reply! I like your take on the plot. Also, yeah, I dunno what I was thinking choosing a song by Daughters for the trailer. I promise the in-game music is much less grating. :)

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.12

Changelog:

-As usual, assorted bugs and typos fixed! Including a game-breaking bug for the "revive" spell.

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.13

Changelog:

-General rebalancing of some enemies (esp. in Chapter 2) and some skills

EuphemiaArtoria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for posting a demo, it's much nicer to get one's teeth into some actual gameplay. I played for about an hour, here are some of my thoughts:

• I like the very long queue for NPCs, it goes on long enough to get the point across - that this is an interminable wait - without being *too* long
  • I appreciated the "fast forward" button, but still felt afraid to use it for fear of missing something. There's a lot of text in the first 10 minutes of the game and I, personally, would have liked to get into the action a little more quickly
  • In the queue section, it seems impossible to escape the NPCs that chase you, to the point that it'd be more straightforward if they just initiated combat immediately. Maybe this is to set up NPCs you can get away from later, though.
  • I like the music choices, the map composition and the use of the MV asset set
  • The choice to kill-or-spare is presented very seriously, but doesn't feel as if it has a strong narrative justification. People run up to me and attack me, I fend them off and then am asked if I will immediately murder them or let them live. Everyone gushes gratitude when I choose not to kill them. This isn't a dealbreaker and does feel in keeping with the tone of the game, but I'd like some sort of suggestion as to why I might want to kill these people in cold blood. This sort of moral choice was very big in Bioshock ten years ago but feels without nuance now.
  • I'm a fan of regenerating HP after combat
  • I like the idea of the very high shop prices against your tiny resources, such that you can't really buy things if you aren't killing people and selling their souls for cash. However - at least at the start of the game, maybe this gets harder - the combat is sufficiently easy that I didn't need items, so it's not an especially hard choice to make.

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for posting a demo, it's much nicer to get one's teeth into some actual gameplay. I played for about an hour, here are some of my thoughts:

• I like the very long queue for NPCs, it goes on long enough to get the point across - that this is an interminable wait - without being *too* long
  • I appreciated the "fast forward" button, but still felt afraid to use it for fear of missing something. There's a lot of text in the first 10 minutes of the game and I, personally, would have liked to get into the action a little more quickly
  • In the queue section, it seems impossible to escape the NPCs that chase you, to the point that it'd be more straightforward if they just initiated combat immediately. Maybe this is to set up NPCs you can get away from later, though.
  • I like the music choices, the map composition and the use of the MV asset set
  • The choice to kill-or-spare is presented very seriously, but doesn't feel as if it has a strong narrative justification. People run up to me and attack me, I fend them off and then am asked if I will immediately murder them or let them live. Everyone gushes gratitude when I choose not to kill them. This isn't a dealbreaker and does feel in keeping with the tone of the game, but I'd like some sort of suggestion as to why I might want to kill these people in cold blood. This sort of moral choice was very big in Bioshock ten years ago but feels without nuance now.
  • I'm a fan of regenerating HP after combat
  • I like the idea of the very high shop prices against your tiny resources, such that you can't really buy things if you aren't killing people and selling their souls for cash. However - at least at the start of the game, maybe this gets harder - the combat is sufficiently easy that I didn't need items, so it's not an especially hard choice to make.
Thanks for picking the game up and playing! Noted on the long-winded intro, still trying to find ways to do all the foreshadowing without being long-winded hahaha. Writing is always the hardest part and it's oft taken for granted.

As for the very basic morality system, yeah, I'll admit it's a bit of an old system that kinda started and ended with Bioshock and inFamous. But I'd like to think that later on (spoilers, but I won't say too much), that the game will try to REALLY tempt you and sometimes outright trick you into killing people and you'll have to resist harder and harder just to be good. But yeah, I'll admit that at first, the game does a poor job of pushing the "being good is hard" concept on you. Maybe I should rub it in a little bit more in the beginning that playing "good" is basically the equivalent of "hard mode" lol. I'll see what I can do. :)

I'm glad you like the regenerating HP concept and the expensive shop items, I seriously just don't like the concept of grinding and just stuffing your inventory with 20 potions and still having loads of cash. I want the gamer to feel like they're constantly on a budget. Later on though, even on "good", you'll eventually have enough money to have a nice healthy set of healing items for those "that one boss" moments. The game never really gets TOO hard later on, I'd like to say it's quite easy with a steady difficulty curve (but I'm the dev, so eh) so I'm constantly making changes as to make it easy-ish but not snore-inducing.

Anyway, much thanks! Really appreciate the thorough breakdown you gave me. Noted on everything. :)

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.15

Changelog:

• Added Chapter 3 intro/briefing
  • General item and skills rebalancing
  • General map cosmetic changes
  • General assorted small bugfixes

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.17

Changelog:

• Added DIFFICULTY SETTINGS (Harmless, Casual, Classic)

RedReaper

Bipolar Goblin
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update bump!

Red Reaper demo ver. 0.2.18

Changelog:

• Overworld encounter system overhaul
  • Added new overworld encounter types
  • Typeface change, modified "___ days left" countdown graphics
  • Reworked the "tea party" sequence in Chapter 1
  • Rebalancing of several enemies in Chapter 2
  • Reworked properties of certain support spells

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Learning Action Sequences!
ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!

Online Platformer TEST DEMO 0.1 - 4 simple Maps. Just jumping test. (I still have 2 minor problems to fix).
So ms store had an idea to nuke the the entire app when the file integrity is slightly broken.
Im on another months long scripting high. I wonder if I can go SSJS3?

Version Fille in english is now complete!
Download the game on itch.io:
Talk about it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/120802/

Enjoy and share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenmai