RMMV Red & the Wolf [My First Game Jam: Summer 2020]

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I'm making a short game for the My First Game Jam: Summer 2020 over on itch.io. I started officially getting assets together today, but I had a few days of planning before the jam started.

I'm making somewhat of a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, from the point of view that the wolf isn't a bad guy. You play as Red, a young woman who needs to help care for her elderly Grandmother. Her Gran lives in the woods in a small cottage and has started struggling to get to the village by herself, so it's up to Red to deliver little care packages every day. One day she meets a wolf but he's not a bad guy, really. Maybe a bit understood. :kaojoy:

The game has small quests in it where you need to gather items from the townspeople to take to Granny's, and it has a story you go through including an end. It'll be free to play over on itch.io once complete so I'll be sure to announce when it has been released! I also might look for some play-testers before I officially release it, so that I can make sure it works as intended.

• My first goal is to create a finished game in 2 weeks (and actually finish it, not give up or run out of time)
  • The second goal is I want to utilise parallax mapping for my maps so they look cool
  • The game is going to be more a story driven RPG, so there won't be any battles. There will still be gameplay of course, but there might be more dialogue than your typical RPG. I suppose it's planned to be a cross between a Visual Novel and an RPG.
  • And, I would like to have some basic quests in the game (probably very basic.. like fetch item A for villager B, etc.)

• I don't have too much planned yet of course, but I'd like to have character busts for when people are talking
  • I want to have the script for the game written up and finished within the first few days of the jam starting
  • I'd like to stick to my schedule as closely as possible!
  • Take breaks every so often to avoid burn out and give my brain a rest!

• Day 1
    • Create game project in RPG Maker MV (yay, first steps!) ✔
    • Start making character sprites and busts (I'm using the Stella Character Generator so this step shouldn't take longer than the first day to make all needed characters, theoretically) ✔
    • Start writing game script document ✔
  • Day 2
    • Continue writing game script?
    • Finish making characters if I haven't already managed to get them all done
    • Start planning map layouts
  • Day 3
    • Finish writing script if I haven't already
    • More map layout planning
    • Start putting together parallax maps
  • Day 4 - 5
    • Finish parallax maps, including lighting and shadows (giving 2 whole days for this because each map will be like a mini art project, and could take a few hours each time...)
  • Day 6
    • Start putting events into place for all the objects the player can interact with (no NPCs or cutscenes just yet, purely drawers, decorations, etc, that the player can interact with for flavour text or to find items)
    • AFTER the above is done, start eventing the actual gameplay
This is all I have for the plan for now, as I want to see how I go... and planning more than a week in advance will be difficult!

I already have almost all characters finished, I bought the Stella Character Generator last week and it's pretty cool so far. I love the art style! I will also be using the portraits as busts when chatting. I have 2 more planned characters to make, though that might change as I write the script.

The wolf is a sprite by Avery on this forum. I just changed the eye colour!
I had quite a productive day because as well as making the sprites I completed 2 parallax maps!! I was working from 9am until 5pm so I'm pretty proud of myself. This is the most work on any game I've ever done in one day. :kaopride:

Uses RTP and PandaMaru's spring & summer set.

And that's it for now! From now on I'll probably update this thread as I do my normal Devlog over on the jam community, so maybe once or twice a day. :kaohi:

Last edited:

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Devlog Day 2 - Morning

Oh my gosh, I spent all morning trying to get the title screen working. I think I've spent about 5 hours on it, I keep tweaking things and moving things around and I really need to stop because there is more important stuff to be doing! It was nice to get a break from doing sprite work or maps, though.

Anyway, I think I'm at a point where I'm happy with it! For now at least. I'll probably change the background image when I have more maps made, but so far I don't hate it.

This afternoon I plan on getting the last sprites made and also making some major progress with the script! I might also make another parallax map but we'll see how burnt out I am once I have my other jobs done.

Devlog Day 2 - Afternoon
I did more work than I intended to again... well I suppose that's what happens when you have nothing else going on at the moment, haha. I made the 3rd and final forest path, wrote a bunch of pages for the script (at least I can say I've started that at least), and finished the last character portrait and sprite. I was thinking of having another villager but at the moment I can't think of where to place them in the story so I've decided to leave it. If I need more characters later on to fill the village up a little, then I can make them as I need them.

The new villager, Delia, is on the top left!
I also shot a really quick video showing the main menu and a walk through all of the paths. I really like how it's coming together!

I think my plan for tomorrow is to stop putting the script writing off and try to finish it. I have a way to go yet and I really want to get it done within the next few days... and then I think I might attempt making the map of one of the interior buildings. I'm getting a little tired of seeing trees and forest, I must say!

Last edited:

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I edited my last post to add my afternoon work, and I have shot a small video showing the main character walking through the forest. I love how it's coming together (there are a few things I will be tweaking on the maps so this is still a work in progress!)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Always interesting to see other people's interpretations :)
You have quite a schedule posted, but seems like everything's going smoothly so far.

Good luck and keep it up!

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you!! :kaojoy:

Devlog Day 3 - Morning
I wrote some of the script today. It's now up to just over 8 pages long... (with directions for me so I know how to script cutscenes)

Then I had a break to watch a funny musical on YouTube and it did feel good to have that downtime. But this afternoon my goal is to try and finish the script completely. I'd say I'm about half way through it, or probably just over half way.

For now here's a little snapshot of the script. The dialogue probably isn't the best, I've never written a script before, but I'm hoping to fix it up as I'm writing it into the game. Make it seem more natural in places, I suppose. I'm always self conscious about my writing lol

Devlog Day 3 - Afternoon

This afternoon I wrote another 2 pages for the script... then it was kind of boring me (writing for too long drains my energy sooo quickly) so I went and did the parallax map for the upstairs of Red's house! I actually struggled pretty hard with this. I definitely need practice with interiors because I found making the forest maps so much easier. Hopefully now I have finished the upstairs making the downstairs will be easier.

But I still like how it turned out!

One thing I find funny is that because the sprite I'm using is smaller than the default sprites that come with RPG Maker, the toilet looks HUGE compared to Red. Hahaha, I'm leaving it as it is because it amuses me (and I'm a bit lazy now because I've been looking at it for hoouurrss, it took me so long to finish because I'm indecisive)

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Devlog Day 4 - Afternoon

This morning my mum came over so no progress was made then. And then I was kinda procrastinating, I will admit... but I was determined to get something done so I forced myself to get the downstairs of Red's house complete! I hope tomorrow can be a bit more productive and I want to get some more maps done... I have finished 5, and I still have 6 to go. Busy, busy, busy, lol.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am interested in playing this once a demo is available. :)

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! :kaopride:

Devlog Day 5 - Morning
This morning my plan was to make some more maps but then I didn't feel like it, oops. I was super excited to get some gameplay completed and since I have the house maps made... I decided to do just that! I managed to finish the beginning cutscene (where Red wakes up) as well as the small control tutorial. It's about a minute long so far but I quite enjoyed putting it together. Also it means I have finished putting the first page of the script into the game!

I uploaded what I've done to YouTube so give it a watch!

This afternoon I think I will do the downstairs cutscene, but then I need to get the village map made before I can do anything else... so if I want to do it, I need to stop putting the maps off!

Devlog Day 5 - Afternoon

This afternoon I'm a little ashamed to admit I didn't do much (I'd feel better about it if I had to do something important but nah I kinda just played some games and watched some YouTube hehe), however I still feel happy with where I'm at in the project. I scripted the second cutscene and have that done, I also started to make the village map but I've never made a village before and I'm struggling for how I want it to look... so tomorrow I want to knuckle down, find some images for inspiration, and try and finish it.

The basic idea I have is that it's a very small plains village, so no hills, it is surrounded by trees with a path leading through the centre connecting the route to the forest and the exit (that you can't go down because this is a small game lol) to the outside world. There are only a few buildings in the entire village. Red's house, the butchers, the bakery, a farmhouse (with farm + livestock), and maybe a few small NPC homes. I also want there to be some sort of centre point like a town square with maybe a fountain or a well in it (leaning more towards well). That's the plan, anyway! I wanted to write it up here in the devlog so I have a point of reference tomorrow and don't forget it!

Anyway, here is the video of the second cutscene! From now on any cutscenes I make won't have videos, to prevent too many spoilers!

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ngl, the long path gives me The Witch's House vibes? Idk, nonetheless it looks really good! :kaojoy:

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! I haven't heard of The Witch's House so I had to look it up. It looks interesting, though I really don't like horrors so I don't think I'll play it any time soon... :kaoswt:
I'm a big 'ol scaredy cat :rheh:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks pretty nice :)

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! I haven't heard of The Witch's House so I had to look it up. It looks interesting, though I really don't like horrors so I don't think I'll play it any time soon... :kaoswt:
I'm a big 'ol scaredy cat :rheh:
It's a really good horror rpg, with one of the biggest plot twists I've seen. I won't spoil it, so you should play it whenever you get the chance! :kaojoy:

KittHaven

idk
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Devlog Day 10 - Afternoon

Finally I've been able to continue working on it! The past few days I had some family stuff come up that's kept me away from working on the game, but I managed to get some more done today. My schedule is a little messed up now, but I still feel I can get everything done. I just need to try and finish the maps tomorrow or the day after. Once the maps are done, the actual gameplay and eventing shouldn't take more than a day or two. Even though the script is quite long, most of it is instructions for my events and not actual story!

Here is the Bakery:

Lol my maps are like a weird blend of modern and old fashioned but honestly I don't mind it. Though I think if I was making a commercial game I would try to stick to one theme.

Well, this is only my 3rd indoor map so I don't think it's too bad...

And here is the butchers! I didn't go into too much detail in the back room but I think I get across what it's used for. (The shadow is darker in-game as the overlay is set up as a shadow, which is about 20% darker maybe?)

But yeah! I hope to get more done to the maps tomorrow. Specifically the village map as I really have been putting that off lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just for the lols I have taken the Szondi test. That test looked like a load of bull. But for whatever reason it was incredibly accurate.
How can a society function with an entire media establishment that is complicit in publishing partisan slander and easily disprovable lies right alongside each other with no accountability whatsoever? After I live through it, maybe I'll make a game based on it. The level of dishonesty at this point just astounds me though.
If you download a resource, be it art or plugin, please thank the creator for their time. We are all guilty sometimes of just grabbing something without commenting. Now is the time to go through your credit list and visit the threads/site where you got the resource from and leave a heartfelt thank you!
October is officially here. I'm hoping to get a call from Spirit Halloween soon. It didn't happen today, but I've got to keep my head high.
So, what is this "Inktober" everyone's speaking about? Because apparently, I have no idea what happens on this site...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CStrife912