Reducing project's file count? (For itch.io)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by MechScapeZH, Sep 14, 2019.

1. MechScapeZH

MechScapeZH Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello,

I've recently discovered itch.io, and I tried to put my game up there as a browser game. However, when I did, I got this error:
    upload_2019-9-13_9-20-36.png

I'm interpreting this error as meaning that there are too many individual files in my game's .zip file. However, I have not only used the "exclude unused files" option when deploying, I have manually checked all my files and deleted anything unnecessary. However, the error persists. My game is only an hour long- it is very small, and I don't see how it could be too large for the website. I noticed that many RPG Maker MV games are playable in-browser on itch.io, so there must be a way to solve this.

Does anyone know what I can do to reduce my game's file count or solve this error?

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    it says it contains 771 files, and should be 500. I dont know why 500 is maximum number.
    if you have for exsample 20 characters separated with a $ in front, you can put those together into 3,
    saving over 17 files on that part (this is also alot of changes to get your character back inside your game)

other than that, idk why it is restricted.
    You might find more info on the site itself about this.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  3. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you. I did try and find info on the site itself and emailed their support as well, but I couldn't find any info on their FAQ and their support people appear to be very busy. I thought it might be good to ask here since I saw names on the RPG Maker games on the site that I recognized from here.

All my character files are optimized in that way already, and it's still over their limit- thank you though. :)

4. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    check the plugins list, do you use every single plugin? do yo dont use some? (which you can disable to test run)
    if not used, delete it? keep in mind, if you use separators (-------------------.js) (even if its one) you can remove it)
    but keep the backup of the project that still has it.

if you use multiple like "----battle plugins-----.js, ------material plugins-----.js etc etc) than you can make less files.
    but I dont know how to reduce the files otherwise if you all files though.

or you might need to host it on a different site or create your own (free webmaking plugin)
    but I wish you good luck on the game and finding a good host where you can put it on :)

MechScapeZH likes this.
  5. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did remove all the unused plugins and I don't use separators, so that isn't the issue either.

As for other sites... I'll look into it. Thank you for your help.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    try encrypting your game
    encrypting should combine a lot of the resource files into a single encrypted datafile, and that would reduce your filecount a lot.

encrypting is also required as soon as you include any purchased shop DLC, but it can cause problems with some plugins that were not written to be compatible with encryption.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  7. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My game is encrypted, but I don't see any combination of files happening- you mean in the deployment menu, right? The process where .rpgvo files are created? Or is there another way?

8. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's really weird, since I'm pretty sure my game has more than 500 files and it uploaded to itch.io just fine.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  9. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, really? Did you do anything special to accomplish that? If you don't mind, could you share your process?

10. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MechScapeZH You could try using Enigma Virtual Box to pack the game into a standalone exe, which would effectively take that 771 down to about 3. That is what I did with Downfall FES Re:Boot.

SumRndmDde used to have a video showing how, but he deleted it for some reason I don't know.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  11. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can you use Virtual Box for web deployed games? I don't believe so- itch.io asks for a index.html file.

Thank you for your help, though.

12. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did what people usually do: Encrypt all my files, put the game folder inside a zip file, and uploaded to itch.io.

However, to upload to itch, I did use their butler API instead of uploading directly. Using butler and command lines to upload is far better than regular uploads because you can have a auto-update feature for people who are using the itch.io desktop app.

EDIT: Maybe the limit is only there for web deployed games? That's a possibility.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    MechScapeZH likes this.
  13. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mechscape would be the perfect fit for itch.io, especially with your recently announced monetization plans. Good call, really!

MechScapeZH likes this.
  14. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Didn't know you were aiming for web-based. My mind just automatically assumed exe. My bad.

MechScapeZH likes this.
  15. MechScapeZH

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I assume so... I just tried uploading the desktop version of my game, and there was no such error. I think that's it.

Thank you! I didn't know the site existed until recently, and once I saw it, I knew it'd be perfect. :)

No worries- I should've been more clear in my initial post.