Arctorius

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My game consist mostly of boss fights, boss fights that can be refought. That means that the player could break the difficulty of the game by grinding them.

I thought of answers to this problem.

First, I wanted the enemies to give zero exp, and recieve the exp through an "Change level" event after the battle. A conditional branch would checked through a switch if the player had already beated the boss before and if so the leveling up event wouldn't happen. I decided not to because it wasn't as satisfying as seeing your EXP bar fill several times in the victory aftermath screen.

Then I came with the idea of checking at the start of battle if the player had already beated the boss to then apply a ZeroEXP state. The problem was that party members in reserve still recieved the exp, therefore players could still break the difficulty.

Therefore, the only solution is not to stop the characters from recieving EXP, is to stop the boss from giving it.
Any advice? Plugins that could work? I already have some of Yanfly, but I don't know how to javascript. Anything helps and is appreciated.

TL;DR I need bosses to give zero exp if a switch is on.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One solution would be to make two instances of the boss in your games database and set the second instance to give less EXP. So when the switch is turned on, the player fights the second instance of the boss.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Err...if the bosses give 0 EXP why would anyone ever want to refight them? Why not just make them go away after you fight them the first time since there is now no point to fighting them a 2nd time if they give 0 EXP?

Arctorius

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Err...if the bosses give 0 EXP why would anyone ever want to refight them? Why not just make them go away after you fight them the first time since there is now no point to fighting them a 2nd time if they give 0 EXP?

Well, I can think of games where I enjoyed the boss fight so much that I wished I could refight them either because the background music, it was awesome moment for one of the playable characters, etc. The refightable bosses aren't just random tough mobs in the overworld, they are more like bosses at the end of a chapter.

Arctorius

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One solution would be to make two instances of the boss in your games database and set the second instance to give less EXP. So when the switch is turned on, the player fights the second instance of the boss.

Yeah, that sounds like it might work. Thanks!

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antschaz