BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in the course of working on my game project I ultimately reached a point where I had so much to rewrite from the original concept that I completely gave upon the project in its original form, cancelled the game as it was and basically started over from the beginning. The game is now significantly different and no longer resembles the original product (to the point where I closed the original Microsoft Store entry and created a new one seeing as I didn't know at the time of either how or if I can request a name change on that compared to Steam). I have also now reached the point where I am in the process of determining the best way to return my project to Steam under these conditions. This will be in two phases:

1: updating my publishing identity, and
2: updating my game information

The publishing identity could probably be handled more easily, however my concern is that since I started over and had to create a replacement entry in the Microsoft Store to accommodate the name change. For this reason I wanted to check to see if it's worth returning to my existing game entry or if it's more appropriate to pay the $100 again to do likewise on Steam (which would seriously bust my budget, and for obvious reasons).

As a side note, this assumes that I proceed without contacting a third-party publisher, which due to references that I have researched using information obtained during PAX Online is now also under consideration. And feel free to move this if it works better in another forum - I'm trying my best to match questions with the requisite audience here.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My suggestion to you is that you actually finish a game before trying to decide all the intricacies of publishing it. You have already wasted time and money on a game that you have had to cancel, it could happen again. In fact, iirc, you drastically changed the game several times. You have no way of knowing if you will have to do similar overhauls of the new game. You are dissipating your energy instead of focusing.

Given the amount of time you might need to finish, the situation might be very different to what it is now, so specific advice given at this stage could be irrelevant.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I second Kes here. Finish the game first. Then worry about the rest of the details like getting it set up for the store. That way you don't have to change it many times.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I third Kes on this topic. The publishers will ask see your finished product. Again, I am just the hobbyist and please taking my words with a grain of salt. You should forcus on finalizing your product and set limits on yourselves.

Last edited:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the input. However, I have other reasons for this:
  1. I may end up using it as a means of distribution for testing and/or publishing reasons
  2. The concept is unlikely to change again, and in fact it only changed because of the scope of my work and how the original was increasingly disjointed by the existing content (which happens a lot in the business)
  3. I'm also at a point where I plan on offering an early access period
Furthermore, the entry for the original concept is already there and has not been used since the restart. The question therefore is if I should reuse it or not.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BreakerZero, early access is a great idea. It helps you with catching the bugs, but remember not everyone is helpful and kind when they see the bugs.
I mean if you would like playtesting is not a problem because not any people see it.
Updating is fine and quick fixes are fine. But changing the cores of the games can be problematic. Actually, people like updating because the players feel like the developers looking after them.

Last edited:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updating is fine and quick fixes are fine. But changing the cores of the games can be problematic. Actually, people like updating because the players feel like the developers looking after them.
So based on that I will probably end up doing the $100 again... Thanks for the input, though!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can still do all of those things by getting your game to alpha stage before worrying about setting up distribution.

If someone were to ask you, when you first started this game, if you were going to do major overhauls, you probably would have said no. So you can't really be sure that you won't do it again, because you don't know what's going to happen over the course of development.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Again, it's unlikely to change at this point as I have made a final determination of the central plot. Only the details are subject to change, and in fact between my endgame plan and everything before the third associate guardian I'm basically like over halfway done. Or 52% to be specific. That's not including any rewrites of existing material, of course... but I expect that you get the general idea.

ADMtn

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like you already know what you want.

Can't say I have much experience, but my plan for my project is to not bother setting up publishing (Steam and Google Play is what I'm looking at) until the game is in beta. I.e., the only thing left to do is fix bugs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DawnStar