Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To our RPG Maker Users,

Due to Apple deprecating OpenGL support and other additional changes such as removing support for 32-bit software, RPG Maker MV has had many compatibility issues with the latest macOS updates.

As we are sure you are aware, these are not small changes. We’ve done a lot of investigation into what we can do to make RPG Maker MV compatible with the latest versions of macOS and had a lot of deliberations on the subject.

Unfortunately, the amount of work it would take to update MV to be compatible with the latest versions of macOS would not only be incredibly time consuming, but also potentially break large portions of the fan-made plugins around the web that are unlikely to be updated anymore as most active plugin developers have moved forward to MZ.

In the end, we’ve decided that breaking compatibility with those plugins would be a much bigger problem for the majority of our fans and that the time that could be spent updating MV would be better used to continue improving the latest version of RPG Maker, RPG Maker MZ.

RPG Maker MV is still compatible with macOS 10.10-10.15 but will not be compatible with macOS Big Sur 11.0 or later. Please refer to the product specification page (https://tkool.jp/mv/spec/index.html) for detailed information on a supported OS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this incompatibility also extend to games that have been exported to Mac, or just the MV editor itself?

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So...what about RMMZ then? If i'm not mistaken it's also not compatible with newest iOS?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So...what about RMMZ then? If i'm not mistaken it's also not compatible with newest iOS?
MZ is compatible with macOS. What do you mean by "not compatible with newest iOS"?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aside from greater stability for larger projects and QoL features, another reason to switch from MV to MZ, especially for Mac users who might upgrade to a new computer during the next few years.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ is compatible with macOS. What do you mean by "not compatible with newest iOS"?
I mean macOS, sorry. Can I use MZ on it? Had a friend, he had 11.5 and said that it didn't work for him. That's why I'm asking...

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There was an issue before the latest update, due the new Mac OS release, but that's been resolved. MZ should function properly on Mac at this point.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this incompatibility also extend to games that have been exported to Mac, or just the MV editor itself?
I second this question.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The games are effected too, I believe it's due to OpenGL not being supported on macOS Big Sur 11.0 and later.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The games are effected too, I believe it's due to OpenGL not being supported on macOS Big Sur 11.0 and later.

Oh seriously? Then anyone aiming to release a commercial RPG Maker game for Mac OS has to switch over to MZ or lose out on much of their potential consumer base among Mac users.

Pwa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
To our RPG Maker Users,

Due to Apple deprecating OpenGL support and other additional changes such as removing support for 32-bit software, RPG Maker MV has had many compatibility issues with the latest macOS updates.

As we are sure you are aware, these are not small changes. We’ve done a lot of investigation into what we can do to make RPG Maker MV compatible with the latest versions of macOS and had a lot of deliberations on the subject.

Unfortunately, the amount of work it would take to update MV to be compatible with the latest versions of macOS would not only be incredibly time consuming, but also potentially break large portions of the fan-made plugins around the web that are unlikely to be updated anymore as most active plugin developers have moved forward to MZ.

In the end, we’ve decided that breaking compatibility with those plugins would be a much bigger problem for the majority of our fans and that the time that could be spent updating MV would be better used to continue improving the latest version of RPG Maker, RPG Maker MZ.

RPG Maker MV is still compatible with macOS 10.10-10.15 but will not be compatible with macOS Big Sur 11.0 or later. Please refer to the product specification page (https://tkool.jp/mv/spec/index.html) for detailed information on a supported OS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Could you give more details as to what parts of RPG Maker exactly will break? Porting to MZ at a late stage in development would be an incredibly daunting task and I'd like to understand where the issues lie exactly considering MZ is really not that different from MV.

Shafla

Cute Princeeee
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"has to switch over to MZ or lose out on much of their potential consumer base among Mac users."

This is something I have been thinking about a lot when I saw this news. On the one hand, this hits me hard, me and many other little known developers who want to make themselves seen, but with this makes the small audience even smaller....

But on the other hand... I dislike these kinds of statements, not so much because they may or may not be true, but because of how they are expressed: Several pals have said that the potential mac users for these are rather few, and not really worth worrying about. Similar comments I've seen in this post on Steam.

But in my case I would like to have more direct answers, know statistics and all that to know how many people use mac to play games, and to play in rpg maker, and not stay with the statement of someone who says that Linux has more users than Mac. Even if Apple as a company scares me a lot, I prefer real and valid data, and reflect if it's worth leaving MV.

But leaving MV is not an option for me, it cost me a lot to obtain it, and to acquire MZ I have to stop eating, plus I have an old computer that cannot run MZ according to its requirements....

This frustrates, but you can't say it wasn't something to be expected, I am already thankful to have the MV, these things of millionaire corporations I guess it's a day to day thing. The best thing to do is to try to overcome it and compensate in some way, like giving more love to a Linux version...

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But in my case I would like to have more direct answers, know statistics and all that to know how many people use mac to play games, and to play in rpg maker, and not stay with the statement of someone who says that Linux has more users than Mac. Even if Apple as a company scares me a lot, I prefer real and valid data, and reflect if it's worth leaving MV.
I don't really like this part of your statement.
The % ownership of OS's might not give us a 100% accurate representation of how many use them for gaming, however given that only a minority of computers on the market are gaming computers and macs are too weak to be gaming computers, it is safe to accept that as a not 100% accurate, but highly relevant statistic. If you only have x% macs on the market of PCs, given that none of them are gaming computers, there's no reason to assume the affected playerbase could be any higher than x. It could even be lower as people can have other computers for gaming, it's just impossible to assume how much lower due to lack of relevant data.

So yes, we cannot draw the exact % here due to lack of data. But with a bit of deduction we can make approximations and then see if they're worth it.

Shafla

Cute Princeeee
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't really like this part of your statement.
The % ownership of OS's might not give us a 100% accurate representation of how many use them for gaming, however given that only a minority of computers on the market are gaming computers and macs are too weak to be gaming computers, it is safe to accept that as a not 100% accurate, but highly relevant statistic. If you only have x% macs on the market of PCs, given that none of them are gaming computers, there's no reason to assume the affected playerbase could be any higher than x. It could even be lower as people can have other computers for gaming, it's just impossible to assume how much lower due to lack of relevant data.

So yes, we cannot draw the exact % here due to lack of data. But with a bit of deduction we can make approximations and then see if they're worth it.
Ooohhh, thank you very much, I didn't think getting statistics out of that would be so difficult. And sorry if I sounded nasty.

What kind of assumptions could you exercise to get an average view of macs users on this topic?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's important to point out that RPG Maker games are not exactly resource-stressing for most computers to begin with, so it should be safe to say that most Macs in modern use are capable of running RPG Maker games made in MV/MZ, in terms of system requirements. Normally, one doesn't need a dedicated gaming computer to run a RPG Maker game.

In 2018, it was estimated that around 1 in every 10 personal computers was a Mac.

The percentage seems to have increased to around 2 in every 10 personal computers by 2021.

Compared to PCs, sure it's not a lot, but there are also far fewer games marketed to Mac users, so that 20% might have more value (easier to market to) to a game dev than 20% made up of only PC users.

The value of any fraction of customers ultimately depends on how many copies of your commercial game you are aiming to sell to, how many you expect to sell on average, and how it stacks up against the cost of developing the game.

For me, Mac compatibility is important since I'm making a comparably large game and plan to invest some savings into implementing a marketing strategy for my game, and I want to earn enough to afford making time for my next game afterwards, which will also be comparably large. It's possible that all of my profit beyond breaking even might equal whatever I get from the Mac customers.

Shafla

Cute Princeeee
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's important to point out that RPG Maker games are not exactly resource-stressing for most computers to begin with, so it should be safe to say that most Macs in modern use are capable of running RPG Maker games made in MV/MZ, in terms of system requirements. Normally, one doesn't need a dedicated gaming computer to run a RPG Maker game.

In 2018, it was estimated that around 1 in every 10 personal computers was a Mac.

The percentage seems to have increased to around 2 in every 10 personal computers by 2021.

Compared to PCs, sure it's not a lot, but there are also far fewer games marketed to Mac users, so that 20% might have more value (easier to market to) to a game dev than 20% made up of only PC users.

The value of any fraction of customers ultimately depends on how many copies of your commercial game you are aiming to sell to, how many you expect to sell on average, and how it stacks up against the cost of developing the game.

For me, Mac compatibility is important since I'm making a comparably large game and plan to invest some savings into implementing a marketing strategy for my game, and I want to earn enough to afford making time for my next game afterwards, which will also be comparably large. It's possible that all of my profit beyond breaking even might equal whatever I get from the Mac customers.
Excellent analysis! It's just what you were looking for! And I agree with you. Later to "calm down" I'll look for games that were released only with a windows version, I know their cases don't compare with those of rpg maker games, but.... That's something.

By the way, Omori, a game made in MV and that became popular, has a Mac version on Steam, what will become of it? if someone who owns the game tries to start it on their mac version will they get an error?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
By the way, Omori, a game made in MV and that became popular, has a Mac version on Steam, what will become of it? if someone who owns the game tries to start it on their mac version will they get an error?

If the Mac uses 10.15 Catalina or 11.0 Big Sur for its OS version, it's quite possible that Omori won't work.

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the main reason for this is Apple doesn't support OpenGL anymore, does that mean MZ doesn't use OpenGL? I have opened and tested my MV project in MZ before (as is well known in the community, this is very possible) and it all works actually, exporting included.

Does that mean I could evade this issue by using this technique of opening and exporting my game through MZ? (In theory i mean, I'm okay with this method not being officially supported of course).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the main reason for this is Apple doesn't support OpenGL anymore, does that mean MZ doesn't use OpenGL? I have opened and tested my MV project in MZ before (as is well known in the community, this is very possible) and it all works actually, exporting included.

Does that mean I could evade this issue by using this technique of opening and exporting my game through MZ? (In theory i mean, I'm okay with this method not being officially supported of course).

The devs behind RPG Maker are currently keeping MZ up to date with the changes in Mac OS, so games exported from MZ will work in newer Macs.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, someone "reviewed" my game. Didn't credit me anywhere in the video and spent 2 minutes insulting it. Going to ignore that and move on.
To cut down on map lag, I've been researching how to implement a lighting layer as a single map overlay instead of a bunch of individual lights. Hopefully I'll have a screenshot soon!
Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.
Over 1/4th of the calendars are already out :eek: Have you already put something to a good use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowking1901