Regarding Licensing

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Treynor, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Treynor

Treynor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I looked through the sections but I wasn't entirely sure where to post this. I recently bought an asset pack on the Game Dev Market. According to them, that pack comes with a 'Pro-License' which, according to them, means:

'The Pro Licence allows you to use an asset in a game that is released for any price and/or is monetized in some way. The licence is not exclusive.'

I just saw that same asset pack on this website however it has something different on it's page:
    stuff.png
    Does this mean that it's licensed to be used only in Game Maker for commercial purposes? Or that it can't be used at all in commercial purposes? The dollar bill with the slash through it makes it seem like it's not usable for commercial purposes. Sorry if this is an obvious answer but I'm new to this site and I'm finding conflicting info on different sites.

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

What the description "Maker only" means is that it can only be used in an RPG Maker engine. "Commercial Use" means that it can be used in commercial games.

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Also we're not as familiar with this Game Dev Market that you mentioned. Can you post a link to it please?

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    some packs are sold in different places with different licences - and usually for different prices.
    Several years ago this site even had a section for "non-RM licences", but that section was removed.

basically the resources now sold here have the additional restriction "maker only", but are cheaper as a result.
    for example you need to read the second symbols as "Commercial Use: Only with a Maker", which means you can use it commercially as long as the game is created in one of the makers sold on this site.
    That is a lesser licence compared to that"Pro Licence" that allows the resources to be used in games done with non-maker engines - but I suspect that unless you got that Pro-Pack on a sale, you paid much more for it than the maker-only pack on this site costs, even if they are the same pictures - but they have different licences, and it's the licence that makes some of the payments.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game Maker is a completely different game engine, and anything that says Maker Only cannot be used in Game Maker. RPG Maker is the "Maker" engine referred to here, so anything with that label can only be used in RPG Maker.

6. Treynor

Treynor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here it is:
    https://www.gamedevmarket.net/