Region Map Loader

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by Azarael, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Azarael

Azarael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Due to a forum software problem during a migration some time ago, several posts have been lost and can't be restored.

The first posts in this topic are among them, including the link and description of the script.

You can still find it on Fomar's Blog

http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?p=334

Hey, Fomar. Quick question for you, because this script looks insanely useful and I would really love to use it in my first project. Do you know whether or not it's compatible with the scripts found here: http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/ ? Much as I love the idea of this script, there is so much Yanfly did that I am going to be using that I HAVE to rule this one out if there are compatibility issues. Thanks for any info you may have on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  2. joeyhugg

joeyhugg Ace Attorney Member

First Language:
    Snarf
    So, in theory, this could be used for things like, buying furniture and upgrading houses in a hub town? The ideas are flowing...

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a REALLY simple looking script. Why not just pop it into your project and see if it works? Would be easy to remove if it doesn't.

4. joeyhugg

joeyhugg Ace Attorney Member

First Language:
    Snarf
    I'm just bursting with examples for this script, too bad my game wouldn't have a use for this... But one day...

5. Azarael

Azarael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz: To be honest, because scripts in general make me a little nervous. Like many people who don't understand programming, it smacks of high-powered techno-sorcery to me. And if you knew nothing about magic, and someone came up to you and gave you a powerful grimmoire (assuming, of course, one dwelt in a reality in which magic was real), you wouldn't just start $%^&ing around with random spells, would you? Of course not. You might blow yourself up, or something even more horrifying. The possibilities for bad stuff would be literally endless. That's how playing around with scripts looks to me... I want to know VERY WELL what I can expect to happen before I start toying with forces that I don't understand.

6. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As a user, you just need to check whether your game crashed or not. If it crashes, then it isn't compatible. Maybe submit a bug report to help the dev out, but that's as much as you would need to do with regards to the script.

I don't expect users to figure out how to fix code, for example, though some devs feel it is better for users to dig right into it.

As for compatibility with hundreds of scripts that is an unreasonable request, especially since there is no incentive.

Drakath likes this.
  7. Azarael

Azarael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, if crashing is the worst I have to worry about, I will jump right in. As to incentive if it doesn't work, I can always provide incentive. I find money is a great motivator, and if I were asking someone to take on anything LIKE that kind of effort, I would naturally offer proper compensation. Looking at the sort of things it effects, though, I doubt there will be any real issue, in hindsight. Only real likely conflicts MIGHT be the map-based Yanfly scripts, and I (thus far) don't even plan to use those.

8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Crashing is probably the best thing to worry about.

There may be subtle compatibility issues where certain things don't behave the way they are expected to, and those may be difficult to catch without extensive testing. But yes, since the script is focused on maps, you have better chances if you are not using map-related scripts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had a look at the script before I posted that, and it's a VERY small script. Unlike some others where you need to use multiple slots, this one would only use a single slot in your script list. So you could put it in, right at the bottom, and test it out. The moment something doesn't work, you can take it out again (by selecting that slot and hitting delete).

10. Azarael

Azarael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the tip. :)

11. Internetakias

Internetakias RPG Maker VX Ace Noob :P Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Would it be possible to load maps using script calls instead of map note tags? Cause there'll be several house expansions in my game.

12. Travalisfox

Travalisfox Villager Member

Wow this really looks perfect for what I had in mind!

But I'm still pretty new to this and wow.. script stuff is diving into something big.  I mean by appearance It does look simple enough,  I made two maps one with the house and one without.

But as silly as this might sound.  How does one map the regions to be changed back and forth?  Is there a tool that does it?  I read the blog but do not understand that part.

Is it done inside the script itself?  And if it is I would so loooooooove to see at least that part done step by step, since it's the part where everyone can mess it up.  *laughs*  If it wasn't too much trouble of course.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to create several maps - one for each version of the house. Then you define the map it's to pull the image from, and the switch that controls when to replace the tiles.

14. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I haven't played with this script yet but those regions are designated with the region tool. If you look at the top of RPG Maker, there is a tool bar there with a Pencil (for drawing mode), a little head and shoulders (for placing events), and a icon that looks like a grid with colours to the right of the Events icon. That is the region tool. Once you click on that tool, it should be straight-forward how to use it...

...if not, check out one of the beginner tutorials for RPG Maker VX Ace because those tutorials show how to do regions.

15. Travalisfox

Ok!  So I have four maps, because the building has four upgrades.  I figured out the region tool and each map is covered with its own number.

I put a character in, to build the house *just to make sure it works* with a menu and even a variable so each time you tell it to upgrade it increases "housebuild" by 1.  Which I figure will activate the next map teir.  *or that's what I want it to do!*

Er... and now I'm stuck.  I can't figure out what to do next! 

I think you can see what I'm trying to do.  What part am I missing?  I can't figure out what I am "switching" on.

16. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Notetag the main map with:

<regionmap  regiondid,mapid,switchid;regiondid,mapid,switchid;regiondid,mapid,switchid;regiondid,mapid,switchid>

So probably something like:

<regionmap  1,2,1;2,3,2;3,4,3;4,5,4>

And then turn those switches on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  17. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For some strange reason I can't access his blog right now.. but I wonder if you are using the last step of the instructions, which is to do with the "refresh" of the graphics/map?

EDIT: yeh.. just can't access from here.. I tried pinging the IP and got no response at all.. it's just a connection issue from here I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2013
  18. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    My blog's fine on my end. Anyway the line in question is:

$game_map.refresh

which you only need to call if you are on the map when the change happens.

Internetakias likes this.
  19. Internetakias

Internetakias RPG Maker VX Ace Noob :P Member

First Language:
    Greek
    Oh, ok. Thanks!

20. Travalisfox

Hmm for the life of me I cannot get this to work.

I made a simple map with a blank space and dirt, set to region mode and covered this dirt with "1".  Copied the map and put some items on the spot.

Went back to the map with dirt *it's id is 008*.  Opened the map properties and put in the notetag <regionmap 1,9,9>  *there were a few other maps made this was below them so the map id that has the items I want to appear is map 009.*  And made switch 9 the map alter switch.

Made a little person event on the map and put in a control switch for "yes" to make *switch 9 map alter:on" and under that put a call common event "map refresh"

That common event has simply has     script: $game_map.refresh in it.

In playtesting, I can walk up to the person, say yes to building the upgrade.  And checking F9  See that switch 9 is "on"  However nothing changes.  So I don't know where my mistake is. 

Any help is appriciated!  I bet it's something really silly I missed heh.