Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was asking myself if there was a way to change the region number as we can do with tileset... All that without copy a map nd change the region common event number... Just a plugin command like swicth 1 to region 2 as for a: a level up region...
B:u were not able to pass now u can...i know there a way like explain in region restriction but im asking my self if it doable inside the plugin or just with a swicth on / transfer to map x(2) ( this is with yanfly)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can we have a bit of clarification please.
Are you asking if you can do this with a plugin command which acts on a particular Yanfly plugin? If so, can we have a link to the page on Yanfly's website where the plugin is, so that people don't have to go hunting. This thread will then be moved to Plugin Support.

Or, are you asking if this can be done by events using a switch?

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
so for my really bad english, you make me doubt of my english skill, maybe i should release my game in french....lol

so in other word im asking myself if there is a $gamePlayer.ChangeRegionId() script or plugin

Last edited:

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think he is asking, can we change specific coordinate's/tile's game region number through eventing, either by the maker already, existing script commands, or with plugin.

Many plugins use the region ID's for various purposes, and in some of those cases being able to redefine them in the fly (during the game) might come handy.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do it as a script call, but every time you left the map and returned (which includes going into a menu or the battle screen), it would be reset. If you want to be able to change it and make the change permanent you would need a plugin.

You might also make it incompatible with plugins that use region IDs, if they read them when the map is loaded.

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
what method rtp use then to change tileset, in a event, it should be the same method for region id, probably a bunch of function () and programing( i really need to go back to school and learn how to do it my self..lol)

if regionId is 1
then changeRegionId to 2
the only problem is that there no button for that, it just check variable region x,y for player teleport...

and if you use yanfly region restriction, which just common event each square region why would it break any plugin, it not Qmovement there is no
diagonal or isometric 3d, it plain 2d 4direction...48*48pix

and the problem here shaz is what would be the script call for that you got more exp than me in the rtp library, i check all the scriptcall list and it not there...
migth be possible to do it aint sure which ()function to call...

or should i say with which word $changeRegionId doesnt seem to work, something i said to my self logicaly must work if there is a scriptcall that goes about the same for $gameplayer.ChangeTilesetId()

Last edited:

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing tileset is not done on per tile basis. Thus it doesn't need to go as deep as accessing each tile separately. Basically it draws the exactly same map, using same map data, just pulling the graphics from different file. It doesn't edit the single tiles at all so it's rather different thing than changing region ID.

Since you seem to be eager to code, this here is reference to the existing script calls.

https://kinoar.github.io/rmmv-doc-web/index.html

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
what method rtp use then to change tileset, in a event, it should be the same
method for region id, probably a bunch of function ()

not directly as you would usually do it through the editor, but it should be doable since regions are part of the map file, so, yes.
I'm thinking of one procedure that might solve it, but it involves overwriting the map file from outside the editor (if *that* is even possible), basically, "saving" the map and only the map, manually, through code.
if it would fail, it could break the file itself, so I wouldn't recommend it.

if you need to change a lot of maps involving tricky region numbering.... maybe it could be worked out.
but you're always safer by changing it manually, through the editor.

if you must work with region IDs on the fly, I'd suggest you introduce a second object, a control object, which would be read/write during run time, keeping the original object as read-only.
basically, take the whole table of IDs into another table where they would be just numbers, and direct all the processing towards that table.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is not a default option to change the tileset during play, is there? That would also require a script call or plugin.

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
eee maybe im explaining it wrong, @Shaz, sry language barrier i guess, ok it is not inside game, anyway why would i want to do it inside game ,
it is trougth eventing normaly, and ya @Alisu i was expecting ((without copy/paste map) something that would be easy, but here im thinking about file size)) to just change one region id at a time a simple 48*48 pertaining to mv resolution...

so from what im understanding is that tileset change is define by a coordinate on a map...called table, so if the region is acessible on map creation
how to say "onglet" you know MapWorld_A, MapWorld_B, B, C and D then Region table, i or someone would have to redifine that region table
is working like world a to d table...

Hey, i know, i go to far for someone who does'nt even know how to code a simple alert window...
but i guess if it to complicated
ill just return to copy map paste map and change id overthere...but it should be simple i mean for coder...not me and ty for your support it apreciated.

im no coder, im musician where you see poem, i see giberish, and where i see poem u see a mathematic formula ! lol

and answer to @gstv87 i dont event have an idea of what you mean by i should introduce an other object ( probably speaking about coding aliasing an other one ( a node ) but hey if there is a preschool to coding im just starting to learn the word...
and some formula exemple that are on the net, im just really curious and logic, so i try...but still really far from understanding what your all speaking of, for a coder there is always the code option but for me there is only dead end, ok backward, lol

oh an ty for the link always appreaciated those, even if when i get there i doon't have a clue what to do with it....lol

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
and i dont get it, how javaScript is not having alias thingy like they use in ruby to make thing compatible...

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Shaz meant, there exists a script call to change the tileset ID because that is an event option already in the RPG Maker. It has to exists for that purpose. The Script calls don't just hang around out of thin air, someone has to have coded it. They have coded that one because it's needed for the default event system. There is no default change region ID function, because that hasn't been needed since that option is not included into the RPG maker.

And changing something during play means all events basically. All things you do through events are happening during the game. If you could do it outside of the game then your problem is non existent since you can manually change it in the editor. But I got the impression you want to change them during the game, as they are supposed to be something that changes depending how far the player is in the story.

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Alisu ya i meant inside the editor and no there is no option to code it... but being able to call script inside the game like an item effect... it still in editor no? maybe there a dictionnary problem here, event editor is outside or inside the game, cause to me it all outside, and i see no way to code something inside as you play...like a synthesis recipe kinda....

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

so if i go with this list there is no option to call change region id

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah yes, it indeed is terminology thing here. Think about it this way, outside the game means all the things you can do before hand. Like drawing map, you do that outside the game, or should we say, before the game. You can also change region IDs manually outside the game this way, just go to the editor and draw the ones you use. That is, outside the game you can manually set everything.

What you seem to want to do is to make things happen during the run time of the game. Events do that, while you set them up in the editor of course, they are designed to be run during the game, or in the game. Everything you do with events is meant to happen "inside the game" because of course they don't actually do anything outside of it, as they are not ran in the editor. If you want to make region ID change midway the game, then indeed you want the change to happen inside the game, with events. You code it outside of course, but the fundamental difference is, is it something that can be set in the way you want beforehand, or is it something that should change into the way you want in the middle of the game.

The list you linked is just the script calls to all the already existing event commands. The end has some other usefull functions but as I said, those commands exists because people have done them to do the event commands in the game. If the game doesn't have event command for something, it's likely it doesn't have specifically made function either, since it hasn't been needed.

All in all, you are looking a bit backward to this, while my design philosophy is to try and see how the editor works and work with that, to a point. Instead of figuring out how to change the Region IDs, is it possible to rework your region numbering scheme in such a way you can make it work even if they are always the same?

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@just1witness so much what i was looking for ty a bunch mouah! Big kiss...

Ty @Alisu for your explaination...while first part Make sense the last last part need a bit more clarification...for knowlege purpose only since just1witness find the perfect solution for a newb like me..what were you thinking philosophy speaking...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Shaz meant, there exists a script call to change the tileset ID because that is an event option already in the RPG Maker.

Actually, I was asking if there was an event command to change the tileset. I did not believe there WAS one, but I just checked and there IS. So you could use an event command to change the tileset for the current map, but that has nothing to do with regions, as regions belong to the map, not the tileset.

Luckysince97

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Shaz yup there is...lol...no offence, and now you should check out that awesome link @just1witness just post if you ever need something like it...
the thing here, is i dont know on which tone you are writing this, funny or serious, but in anycase, i think i got nothing to show you....

and if you were serious ( that would mean you never check the event editor and only coding) which is still ,i got nnothing to show you, but then again if i did, it gonna compensate on all the stupidity that i could write down in the future...lol

ty a bunch again..all of you...

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
and answer to @gstv87 i dont event have an idea of what you mean by i should introduce an other object ( probably speaking about coding aliasing an other one ( a node ) but hey if there is a preschool to coding im just starting to learn the word...
and some formula exemple that are on the net, im just really curious and logic, so i try...but still really far from understanding what your all speaking of, for a coder there is always the code option but for me there is only dead end, ok backward, lol

basically, what @just1witness' solution does.
since region ID's are stored within the map file, you can't write a change to it back into the file without the editor handling that save.
so, you take the lot of IDs, copy them over to another table (a logic object, only established at run time) and redirect all calls for region ID to that copied table, which you don't mind losing or breaking.
the original lot of IDs would still be the same on the map file, that's why I pointed out that maybe you needed to replace a lot of IDs for good and have the map file itself store those new IDs.... if it was a lot of work to do manually, it could have been much easier to use a script, but that could fail and corrupt the file.

and i dont get it, how javaScript is not having alias thingy like they use in ruby to make thing compatible...
it does, it's just not an instruction, I think it is just an assignment like you would define a variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The more I read Calvin and Hobbes as an adult, the more I deeply respect Bill Watterson. Plenty of stuff flew over my head, but now that I'm old enough to appreciate the viewpoints he shared with the fun and imagination? I am grateful that C&H was basically my early childhood.
After years of relying on others and the community to help with making my games, I've decided to delve into the world of scripting. Thought I'd share a few simple scripts that I made that I'm very proud of and excited about!

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nimze