RMMV Reincarnation Assistant: 9 to 5

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by hiddenone, Apr 21, 2019.

1. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    AKA:
    [​IMG]
    Welcome [insert name here], to the Reincarnation Selection Center! We are in charge of numerous important tasks, from sending Heroes to the Worlds that need them to [insert other task here], so your employment here as an Assistant is an important part of everything getting done properly! We only employ the best of the best, so to make sure you live up to our expectations you will have weekly evaluations... But no need to fear, as long as you do all the tasks assigned to you you'll be fine. We at the Reincarnation Selection Center look forward to working with you, [insert name here]!
    - Hey new assistant, I'm the God of Reincarnation you'll be helping! I know the default welcome message is boring, so I'm sneaking this little welcome in. It gets preeetty busy for me, so I'll be counting on you to take care of some of the work that's just too much for me to do. Don't worry though, you passed the interview so I'm sure you'll be fine~

Your new boss, Re-God <3
    [​IMG]
    Reincarnation Assistant: 9 to 5 is a simulation game where you take on the job of assistant to a God of Reincarnation... Who unfortunately for you isn't the most motivated when it comes to work. The main goal of the game is to not get fired, a task that's made infinitely more difficult with a lazy boss who loves to shove his work onto you.

This game was inspired by all the Isekai stories out there where random people (usually high school students, because they're known for making good choices...) are sent to another world where they become heroes by all sorts of gods... And all I could think about was what it would be like if all those gods worked at a company.

After having so much fun with my One-Map Challenge version of the game, I decided to make a full game for the idea! It's still early in development, so I'll be looking forward to feedback and suggestions for what y'all would like to see.
    [​IMG]
    • Brain-twisting decisions based on what Worlds' need and what Heroes are available!
    • Isekai-inspired and trope-filled characters to meet, and send to their possible doom!
    • Train your favorite Heroes to make them more likely to not die horrible deaths!
    • A break room with a working coffee maker! (Note: Coffee maker is only available to employees not on probation)
    • Chat with your coworkers, and romance them! Follow the much loved isekai trope of making a Harem in your own office! (Note: The HR Department has outlawed harem-making after the incident in Marketing)
    [​IMG]
    Example of how the Hero info screen is being updated, from the One-Map Challenge to the current version
    [​IMG]

Spending some effort to help out around the office can take up precious time but the love of your coworkers is worth it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The game is still very early in development, but some of the important mechanics have be roughed out:
    • Display of Hero & World information
    • Time system
    • Randomization of World's requests available
    The next step will be to come up with some more heroes and worlds to add to the first demo, which will look at a week or two of office life for Mana.
    [​IMG]
    I'll be posting short updates on my thoughts and how I'm planning on doing things over on my site's blog. I don't want to bore people with all that stuff here, so if you're interested in the more nitty-gritty work behind the game, you'll find it over there. :rwink:
    [​IMG]
    Graphics:
    Logo by Plueschkatze
    Font by Matthew Desmond
    DS+ Resource Pack
    Prototype busts by BlackRoseMii

Plugins:
    Yanfly
    kido0617
    Mokusei Penguin

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Licosda, Sunjean, l8rose and 15 others like this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Woohoo! so glad to see this thread :D
    Really looking forward to this one

hiddenone and TengHu like this.
  3. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've made a bit more progress on the mechanics, nothing all that exciting to look at but I've figured out how to get a bunch of conditional branches and variables condensed down into easy-to-manage script calls which will make life a lot easier in the future when I get to the actual cutscenes and events.

To keep my sanity while eventing, I started looking through my resource collection to see what would be funnest to use for this game. And I've decided to use the DS+ pack. It's got a lot of useful modern tiles and it's in a cute pixel style, so it felt perfect... The only problem is that it's for Ace, not MV. So because I'm crazy, I'll be resizing all the tiles I need so that I can use them in MV without any plugins needed.
    DS+ resize test.png
    Clearly not all the tiles have been resized, but this should give you an idea of how it'll all look.
    Now, I've got a question for y'all: which version do you prefer for the stats of the different heroes? I can use either numbers or descriptions, but I can't decided on which would be better. It's important to keep in mind that the stats won't have a major effect when choosing which hero to send to a world, as there won't be required stats (but maybe bonuses if the stat is high for certain requests).
    stat display comparison.png

mathmaster74 and Finnuval like this.
  4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You already know what i think of the resizing so I'll skip that bit ;)

As for the stats. I prefer the text-based one as there is no need for the specific numbers and this gives an easier quick-glance info (to me anyway) :)

hiddenone likes this.
  5. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really nice. I like this. I love the premise especially.

I like the text based stat screen also.

hiddenone and Finnuval like this.
  6. pandadodod

pandadodod Wannabe of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My vote goes to Text based stat screen also

7. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would go with star icons personally. 1 would mean low, 2 medium and 3 high.

hiddenone likes this.
  8. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Biestmann That's a brilliant idea, using icons hadn't even crossed my mind! I think I'll be going with this method, it shows the info quite nicely.
    stat display with stars.png

9. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Though the star icons do a good job in giving the info quick their color kinda bothers and distracts me (i dunno why). Maybe In alone in this in which case you should probably ignore this comment :D

hiddenone likes this.
  10. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hiddenone I think everything you've worked up is going in the right direction so far. The larger sprite has my vote although both have great character qualities inherent in the art. You should be proud. The colors on the stars shouldn't distract too much as they're gold, silver, and bronze, and coincide with the number of icons, which can also be counted easily at a glance.

11. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That one I figured :guffaw: I think for me what distracts me is that with the color coding I'm pulled to look at the gold first then at the others whilst with the text or if the stars wouldn't be colored I'd see all of them in a single glance. But like I said that could totally be me (and I for one know I'm pretty weird at times haha) so yeah. :D

12. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval Thanks for the feedback on the star colors, I went with different colors since I thought that may be easier on people, but I can see how it's distracting. The icons are placeholders, so I'll play around with it more and see how it looks with them all being the same. :)

@mathmaster74 I'm glad to hear you like how things are looking. The tall sprite is what I was planning on using, the smaller one is meant to be an example of the default tile size.

With the new approach to stats, I've had to tweaked the hero info layout a bit more. I'm not quite done with it, but I am happy with its new look, the icon-based stats definitely is the right choice.
    After deciding that drawing all the characters myself would just be too much on top of all the tile resizing, I've chosen to use @BlackRoseMii's character generator. Now I don't need to spend hours tweaking characters, which means that the main office people have been designed! With their busts ready-to-go, I only need to finish their sprites and I can have them wandering around their workplace (hiding from work).
    bust ex.png

Finnuval likes this.
  13. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just do what feels best to you :) Im only a single fool with An opinion and weird peeves haha ;)

I like the busts :)

hiddenone likes this.
  14. mathmaster74

mathmaster74 just...John Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hiddenone Cool busts! Hiding from work...Lol! :smile: Another good aspect of the icons...localization! Icons speak a universal language. :wink:

@Finnuval Single fool with an opinion and weird peeves? Wow! And here I thought I was the only one... :biggrin: Keep sharing your opinion. Trust me. We all really do want to hear it. :thumbsup-left:

15. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mathmaster74 haha only real fools out there are the ones that think they're always right ;) dont worry im foolish enough to share even if you didn't wanna hear :guffaw:

hiddenone and mathmaster74 like this.
  16. Flaming-Fox

Flaming-Fox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pretty interesting, and quite funny! But I wouldn't reccomend resizing tiles as a substitute for plugins. It just looks... off. The pixel sizes are different from pixel to pixel. Though, by now you might be too far into development to fix this... At least it's better than using the default RTP that many people are sick of by now (I know I am :guffaw:) Overall, I would like to see where this project goes!

17. hiddenone

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Flaming-Fox You misunderstand, I'm not just resizing the tiles, but resizing and editing them to look nice at the larger size. It's just that there are a lot of tiles to do (and I'm not positive which ones I really need yet), so I'm making all my rough maps with the un-edited tiles. :rswt But I'm happy to hear that you find the premise for the game funny. :rwink:
    [​IMG]
    An example of how I resize tiles

Finnuval likes this.
  18. Flaming-Fox

Flaming-Fox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, that clears things up.

19. Amenti

Amenti *Grandiose* Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Whoa, what's this my eyes see? Looks like fun, the story and graphics to make it happen. I like your project and will be ready to play it when it's ready. Will be keeping up with this thread.

hiddenone likes this.
  20. VitaliaDi

VitaliaDi Jedi Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I loved the short version, can't wait to see what this one turns into!

hiddenone likes this.