Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone!

I've been thinking about building a relationship system into my game.
By that I mean you can interact with characters and gain "points" that help you to achive a different ending for the game and maybe even start a romance.

I thought it might be interesting to exchange, how systems like these could be build/scripted, if you find relationship systems engaging and if you think there is a general interest for games based of relationships.

What do you think?

~ Jassy, the penguin

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Romance in games is a very common mechanic nowadays and in fact, a lot of people look forward to there being some kind of romance subplot or event chain.  It's all a part of the role-playing experience.  I've evented things like this before in Ace and it turned out pretty good, so it's not that difficult, just tedious, but worth it if done right.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Relationships are part of character developments. Even stubborn characters like mine, making fun of anything related to romance at first, change with time without even noticing it. But the interest will also depend on the kind of game you're creating.

In terms of building, you don't necessarily need scripts to do it. Play around with variables, and many conditions. It might appear a bit tedious, but I think it is the easiest way to deal with it. Don't hesistate to use common events for dialogs in different maps for example.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My game has relationships that build over time, and I'm using variables to keep track of each relationship value. So far it's working well, no need for a script as far as I can see.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm doing this in a game of mine too.  Your choices increase or decrease variables that represent your relationship with characters, which will affect the ending.  Think it's a pretty standard jrpg mechanic and works well.  

Esados

Lv. 9 Spoony Bard
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Having a "Relationship System" can work pretty good for some games, especially if yours is focused on history and/or characters. It's not really difficult to implement in a game, a bunch of variables and lots of events and it will work. You can add mechanics to the System, for example, being in battle with a character will give you points of love, friendship, etc, you name it.
In my game, the Relationship System is an important part of gameplay, it's a way to improve the characters stats and unlock new items, locations and even bosses, that way, you can make sure that almost all the players will enjoy it. You don't really have to come with a lot of new ideas for the system, just the ones that fits your game better. 

Brillenpinguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well, the project I work on is rather puzzle- and story-heavy, so I thought a relationship system might work in favor to that.
Thanks for the multiple hints to variables! I'll try that one out!
Thank you! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Lost track of a huge brazilian wandering spider inside my house. In other news, I'm moving again.

Currently working on the second protagonist's story and her companion, making good progress. But I am looking forward to return to my other protagonist and continue his story and have him joined by a new companion. :)
mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.
rux
Just 80% of my motivation on game making lmao, anyone got tips on how to not be unmotivated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Springy120