Releasing games without needing RTP, lightweight and easy

Discussion in 'RMVX Ace Tutorials' started by Tuomo L, Aug 6, 2012.

1. CrypticCuddler

CrypticCuddler Free Hugs

First Language:
    English
    ;_;  I'd be so lost without this forum, WAS lost before this forum! Thank you very much Mister Big T! Exactly what I needed! X3

2. Tyler Clark

Tyler Clark Villager

First Language:
    English
    what game folder?

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'

First Language:
    Tagalog
    the folder of your game...

Tuomo L likes this.
  4. terwilliker

terwilliker Veteran

nice, thanks!

5. smarty3b

smarty3b Programmer

The U.S., Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way,
    I'm not sure I understand: when finalizing, does it automatically put the RTP in the game folders, or do you have to do it manually prior to finalizing?

Also, the instructions for the fonts are not needed if only using the default one, right?

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    This is for releasing the game without putting the whole RTP, but also makes it so that the game don't look for the RTP (because you could pack the game without the RTP by not checking the include RTP option but that means it will look for the RTP on the player's computer).

Any file that you would need should be added manually by you into the project if you're gonna go with this route. You would need to do it because you won't even have resources on the editor once you do the first procedure of this method.

As for the Fonts, you still need to put VL Gothic into the Fonts folder. Whether or not ur using that font or not because the engine was hardcoded to look for that font.

7. HaiseSasaki

HaiseSasaki Warper

First Language:
    English
    I tried to use this method, and it was going fine and I was adding all the missing files, but after I added Window, I started getting an error message that was not "Missing File".

[​IMG]

These are the lines I think it was referring to:

[​IMG]

Does anybody know what the issue might be?

8. BCj

BCj Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I just tried this one out, by my steam keeps overwriting my game.ini. That's so annoying :S

9. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I was wondering about removing RTP stuff and was thinking if I should ask the community for that. Now I don't have to.

To make sure - If I'm not using Erics etc. then these files will not be included in my exported game folder right? Only files marked in RED in resource manager will be exported?

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If you do this trick, then yes only those marked with red will be.. You also wont see any blue resources. If you still have blue resources in your project then that means you havent done the trick yet

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @rikifive

No, that's not right.  Anything that shows up will be included in the final file, whether it's blue or red.  The red is merely there to indicate what you have imported.

I think using 'exported' is liable to cause confusion, because that's what you do with the Resource Manager.  I am assuming that you are talking about your compressed game which may, or may not, be encrypted.

If you are not using the RTP, then you have to go through the processes described in this thread.

12. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Engr. Adiktuzmiko I didn't do the trick yet, I'm just asking for future, so before compressing, when I do the trick the blue thingies will be disabled even in resource manager and not included in compressed file, right?

@ksjp17 Yes I know that, but I was asking if the blue ones will be not compressed after doing this trick. I also know, that first I need to export necessary files.

Sorry for confusing by 'export' but yeah, I meant exporting a game (compressing).

So basically, before releasing compressing a project, I need to export any necessary 'blue' files to make it red (present in game folder) for example iconset etc.. then do the trick.

After that the blue ones (like actor stuff - Eric and many other, that I don't need) will be 'hidden' in resource manager and not exp... dayum compressed with the game? Is that right?

also checking 'include RTP stuff' is only to prevent from ERROR? To lie a game, that there is RTP stuff, but actually there's not?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  13. Kes

Kes Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My brain hurts.

No, not exactly, sort of.  If any file is showing up in your resource manager, then it will be included in the compressed game.

If you check the 'Include RTP' box, then you will get it.

In essence what you do is:

• Remove the RTP by changing the line in the game.ini file.  You then have no RTP at all, whatsoever.
    • You then import those RTP files that you will be using, typically these will include the battle animation sheets, SEs and MEs, plus anything else that you will actually be putting into the game.  For example, I tend to import things like the character sheets for smoke, flames, switches etc.  These will show up as red, even though they are RTP items.  Anything you import is red.  You should have no blue at all.
    • Do this as early in the game as possible so that you can be sure you haven't accidentally used something which you have not imported back in.
    • At the time you compress the game, do not check the 'Include RTP' box.  You've just gone to all that trouble to get rid of it.

Aoi Ninami likes this.
  14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I would say, do the trick before you start on the project... That will be easier than doing it once the project is finished as that increases chances of missed resources and such

15. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    So far everything is clear to me, but I'm confused, in that tutorial there is:

[​IMG]

OK, I'll try that now as you and ksjp said.

I'll do a backup, then I'll try some things.

16. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Tick it off, it actually wont matter as the game doesnt know which RTP youre using anyway... I've always ticked that off when using thia trick...

And oh, even if your game doesnt use VL gothic it should still be included in your game's Fonts folder.. Make sure to make one in caae it doesnt exist...

Rikifive likes this.
  17. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Now everything is clear, thanks for answering my questions. =)

~ I'll remember about that font.

18. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, this has nothing to do with this method as it does not change any values. I think you have script error or some other incompability that's causing it. 

If you use the Steam version, delete the RTP line as well. Only delete the RTP line if you use the Steam version. I added this to the tutorial since Steam version is becoming more common.

Hi, since you have changed the path of RTP, the game cannot include stuff from the RTP folder but rather handles the game folder as its RTP folder. That is why I have told people to tick the box, to ensure the compability.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
  19. GinDjinn

GinDjinn Villager

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Does anyone know how do we make this work for RPG Maker XP??? :| I tried a few things from here, but it is not compatible with xp... ;_;

20. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think this workaround works with RPG Maker XP but let's just make sure you have it down right. I never used it much but in your Game.ini

[Game]

Library=RGSS104E.dll

Scripts=Data\Scripts.rxdata

Title=Project 1

RTP1=Standard

RTP2=

RTP3=

Did you try and replace the RTP1=  with blank name? So it'd be

[Game]

Library=RGSS104E.dll

Scripts=Data\Scripts.rxdata

Title=Project 1