Releasing my game on Steam, any opinions on DRM?

EVXA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's my up coming RPG MAKER ACE Game, if anyone wants to check it out the game is called "Gears of Phantasm" list on steam, the date was mis-labeled as Nov 17, however it releases around Dec 1st.

I've used "DRM" more or less if you can even call it that to make my game less pirate-able & while I don't endorse trying to decrypt rpg data files, if anyone wants to look at how I've handled it maybe it could proof useful to other RPG MAKERs to implement a method of encryptions for devs so they don't have to rely on third party software that likely won't work very well or be priced within the range or a small dev/team.

Just a thought I had, as its been quite the ordeal trying to overcome the fear of my first game just being instantly cracked & given out day 1.

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was thinking about DRM as well, but decided against as I worry that I'll mess it up. Essentially, what if the player buys the game and then due to my lacking programming skills the player get's an error saying it's pirated or similar. Then they'll need to make a ticket and ask for help and such.

I don't know your level of programming experience of course, just really think about if it's worth it to prevent X amount of players from pirating the game if there's a chance it might go wrong. If you don't know exactly what you're doing of course :)

This kinda goes for anyone reading this thread as well I suppose.

I'd offer to check the code, basically to see if I could crack it, for QA, but I don't know the Ace code.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't use it.

No regrets.

Ellenor

Artist: Digital/Pixelart/3D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
To be honest drm are pretty useless, at most it will get you a day or maybe 2 weeks at most, if someone decides to pirate it. And many times it ends up being in the way for paying customers.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

DamageEvil_5.png added!
index.php

Rendering the intro for the 4 time today, everytime it finished I noticed something that I found off and had to fix it and render it all over again...
Would not be so bad if it was not for my PC having the speed of a slug.:kaoswt2:
Tried something. Little sneak peak of Unity AD.
M42S7Us.gif

It's the little things. Lengthened the time the bar fades in and out to be a bit more comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pseudodachi