Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Rem Dictionary

Introduction

This plugin is an extension of the Rem system; it takes advantage of the predefined dictionary tab in the plugin to create a scene that allows the developer to create a dictionary, or book of sorts, of important need to know terms in-game.  This is great for world-building.

Version: 1.00

Script File

rem_heart

rem_dictionary

Features

• Dictionary Scene
  • Increased world-building capability
  • No real limit on the number of dictionary elements
  • Word Wrapping
  • Improved Scene
  • Text Code Support

Instructions

1. Download the plugin and save it with the name "Rem_Dictionary" inside of your js/plugins folder
  2. Place the plugin below Rem_Heart in your PluginManager.
  3. To add new words to your dictionary, simply create a new text file with the word inside of your dictionary folder (this will be created after play testing the game once)

Type the definition into the text file.
  4. Enjoy the new added word to your in-game dictionary.

[*]To access the scene use the script call: "SceneManager.gotoDictionaryScene()"

In-game Examples:

Updated Screen Version 1.01

Thank you to anyone who decides to use this script; I appreciate it! Also, if you have any suggestions for this plugin, please comment down below with your thoughts and opinions. I would love to hear them.

Also, I would love to get more feedback on what could be improved in future plugin development.

Last edited by a moderator:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome stuff. Thanks!

Could totally use this for "game lore" and whatnot. Very cool. 

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I hope it's useful to you. Lol

Yea it should be good at "game lore", I agree. BD

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is that compatible with text codes?  I want to use this to write tutorial content in it as well but I need text codes for element icons and for the currency.

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This one is pretty basic, so there are no text codes, but since you like it. I think that would be a good addition so I will be changing it up and adding more features.

KingGodzilla

King of the Monsters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've noticed a slight problem with capitalization. If the text file in the dictionary folder is called "Age of Fire" then it will show up in game as "Age of fire." I've even tried making a file with all caps, such as "TESTING THIS" and it reads in game as "Testing this." Can you look into this?

Edit: To agree with Hoppy, text codes would be so amazing. Thanks.

Edit 2: Is there no way to apply a page break? My sentences run off the screen with seemingly no way to prevent that, even though the text file has proper page breaks. I see your example picture has word wrap, but that's not very ideal either as it cuts the word in half and continues it on the next line. As much as I want to use this, I'll have to wait for an update or two.

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I appreciate you playing around with it King. These things will definitely be  fixed in an upcoming  update. Right now I'm currently improving the book system,  which is pretty similar to this, but making it more user friendly.

KingGodzilla

King of the Monsters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll make sure to check in every now and again to see when you update it. Looking forward to using this!

Solis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can implement images/icons to be used :D

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm actually working on something right now that really fits this. If you check out the librarium,  it has word wrapping and icons support. We'll be adding that to this one too. @Solis @KingGodzilla Been working on and the new one is just about done with text code support and icons included, with word wrapping.

FDSuprema

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is actually really close to a feature I've been thinking about for my own game. Only things it's missing to be absolutely perfect is the option of having certain entries flip a switch when you look at them, and being able to categorize the the entries on the list into tabs, kind of like a navigation tree.

Also, is it possible to add new entries into the dictionary mid-game? Like, have certain entries hidden until the player reaches a point where an explanation of a specific thing would be relevant. If not, I'd say that'd be a good feature to have. Players don't really like being bombarded with walls of information right off the bat, so being able to give them each page on a need-to-know basis would definitely help with that. 

Otherwise, this is a very awesome plugin.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I like this very much!

Will there be a way to add pictures and categories ?

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FDSuprema  Adding things such as switches would be fairly easy; I think that would be a good option to have. Adding categories is harder, but doable, but if you're looking for something so detailed, take a look at this: http://endlessillusoft.com/eis-librarium/ . This has a lot of the same features. And I'm currently working on a tool for it to make it easier to use, similar to the Dictionary. No categories yet, but there is an option to select a specific book and only show information for that single book.

@Iliketea What do you mean by pictures? Do you mean like background pictures, or something more detailed, such as pictures incorporated directly into the text? Implementing background pictures would be fairly easy.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Kino Hmm, I guess both? a background picture could be handy but what I meant was a for example a picture of the actor or person you currently are reading about or a picture of the item you are looking up on

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Iliketea Hmm,I see, that could be useful. In that case, do you mean like having a layout with an area for the picture? Kind of like how you might have an icon for an inventory item? So, just a small window for the picture in this case.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Kino

Hmm, to make it simpler to explain I made this incredible beautiful sketch 

Things that could be useful:

[\spoiler]

1.  Icons 

If you can add Icons to the category names or in the text you could organize things nicely and make it look better  ( ALSO Categories and sub categories would be       awesome)

2. Anding pictures like face images or similar in the text 

3. Adding pictures BEHIND the text. To give each category an unique feeling for example

4 The ability to switch dictionary entries IN an entry so you can just browse the dictionary with out having to go out and in for every entry. 

Your plugin is very usefull and cool as is, and I realize how much work making a plugin is.

But these are things that could make your plugin even awesomer, maybe this can help you in any way ^^''

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there a way to have words/terms added using events, instead of them just being just there in the dictionary?

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not as of yet; I'll take a look into it. And, what do you mean by added by events? Like commands run inside of an event?

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not as of yet; I'll take a look into it. And, what do you mean by added by events? Like commands run inside of an event?
Yes, like have a plugin command say 'add word  x' where x is the name of a file. And then it's added.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.
The only thing getting me through today so far is coffee. And lots of it.
Amazing. I had seen it more than 10 years ago, but seeing Monster this year was an incredible experience. It was certainly one of the best endings I've ever seen in anime.
It is so infuriating to know a package I ordered went right through my state possibly even through my town only to arrive at the fedex in another state, now at...”ready to be delivered” status. Sigh :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYOSS