Remember Event remaining movement commands on map switching.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone! I am working on my first video game in RPG Maker MV. And I am interested in creating highly mechanic-intricate situations, however... My students moving around in the large maps that I have comes with a problem... The upper floors of the University are on a different map, and based on the time system that I use (MOG's timer plugin) the students in the ground floor map will just reset when getting back to this map, while also no longer doing their movements. Supposing I can get around the timer part, I would require 2 plugins for my Chapter to go on:
<> mainly, a plugin that allows the remembering of event remaining movement commands when coming back. I will tinker the remaining aspects as I can (since I always check for all the possible exploits that come with my mechanics).

<> a timer plugin that allows me to create time-based conditionals to control event movements (or a tutorial on how to use MOG's timer plugin, because the conditionals don't seem to follow the time exactly - I set it to trigger something at 7:30, but it triggers at 07:08 for some reason). Thank you all! Am working towards a demo (but will take a long while).

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!
I think for the timer, it's better do it by events, it's not that hard, and if it is your first game, it would be nice for you to do a lot of eventing :)

Anyways, for the movement question, I think you can use Yanfly Save Event Locations( or another plugin that do the same. I think Quoxios has one, and Triacontanee too):

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can't work that way for a lot of reasons

1) events only exist on the current map. other maps and other events don't exist in memory and cannot be handled as such.
2) events cannot transfer to different maps, you can only pretend they have done by using two events on the two maps, one of which turns invisible if the NPC is supposed to be on the different map.
3) different maps means that you'll have different events pretending to be the same NPC. And that means the engine would not be able to know which move commands to assign to which other event unless you're adding special identifications.

and those are only the problems before going into details of what is on those maps.

The only thing that you can do is to pretend to have simulated the other map based on time.
That will NEVER be step-synchronised because that would require too much work from the computer, but a step-timed-synchronisation is not neccessary at all. No player will count how many tiles an NPC has been gone to the other floor before following, it is enough if it is roughly handled.

That said, you should check on the timer system as well as how you handled those events. I have several suspicions as to why the events are off time, but searching for a solution to that is something else - most likely it was due to the build-in anti-lag features as well.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, thanks for the swift replies! The events are not offtime, and MOG's time system does not use the timer itself (tested it, it appears separately). The students won't continue their movements because they have multiple pages that link one to another through variable values. Tested this and it works, the reason why they won't resume their movement is each page has a switch that is only triggered once, at day's beginning (first time when reaching the school). I am using Yanfly's copy event plugins to replicate them from a dummy map where I design them, so I can safely put them in other maps, to do a certain different mechanic based on the behavioural variable I will give (which does not reset with map change). Only problem is to keep them continuing their trajectories if player moves away and back to map. I have a solution for this yet it's a bit tedious XD

Also, about eventing... I have been working for 10 months on this project, only for 6 on the current Chapter. It's gonna be a Visual Novel with lots of writing and reading, also with RPG features from time to time, especially in the other Chapters (gonna end up as a Visual Novel- RPG hybrid). I have 1200+ hours in it and have reached the 999 event limit on this main map (300 event slots are animations that repeat). Slight lag when the students pop up. Am mingling with that as well.

Last edited:

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, well, one solution would be to keep the core data of each map loaded in the background. Each stored map would update whenever the primary map does, so student events would be able to roam around. That would most assuredly require a plugin, but would simplify what you are attempting.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your reply! That event on transfer sounds interesting. Meaning it is run before ANY other events on the map? Sounds really tempting to think I can restart the switches of the students when I get back. Basically, why I am requesting these is because I am a maniac on exploit-hunting. Usually a player will go around and see what they have to do. This came to my mind as a result to the question: "what if I just keep switching the maps"? I also came with a solution for this. It's somewhat tedious, but I checked it on a small test map with a parallel event that moves around. It preserves its remaining movement route.

<> "one solution would be to keep the core data of each map loaded in the background". That's something I'd really be looking for. Am working on the ground map now, the upper floors will have their own students, each assigned to own classes. Each student has a main page that leads the AI overall, since each page (most) are parallel, I need to turn them off when pointing to a new page via a (self-)switch.

<> Only big thing for me left is to figure out why MOG's time plugin (does not use the in-game timer) does not work on any of the other conditional lines, IF they actually work that way. OR, actually find a plugin that creates time and I can use conditionals to point the AI to do certain movements only between certain time-frames (that trigger specific switches, etc.)

Last edited:

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Annwfn Yeah, the Event on Transfer plugin will run the selected common event before any other event.

Not too simple of a task to keep maps loaded and updating in the background, though. Each one might need to be isolated from the main game, so any errant commands do not tinker with the current map (script calls, screen tinting, etc). Which is basically loading a second, third, and fourth game in the background. But it could probably be whittled down to only updating the location of the event. Probably be a bit of work regardless.

I am slowly tinkering with a Visual Novel scene plugin, as well. Basically, allowing the developer to switch between a pure Visual Novel environment with no map in the background, plus custom menus, and so on.

Annwfn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cool ^^ that sounds like a superb feature of a plugin to add :) But I don't mind the background. It's actually helpful. I am also using additional software to create (at least place-holder) busts and other images that will appear over the map in some situations.

Regarding my visual novel:
<> Students will perform the actions based on an AI I built through variables that will declare which pages will be used and when for each.
<> Will change the movement to a "MOVE TO" plugin function instead, allowing me more control at the cost of taking more time to implement. Each movement will trigger a variable when done and they can also be now set as Through Off (since they were set as ON in order to not bump one into the other/ player and freeze), since MOVE TO plugin function has them move around obstacles.

<>Each section of the MOVE TO will have one such command, will trigger when the corresponding variable has that specific value only, while also having a pair of Teleport Event functions: one to relocate the event to the previous locale they had to go through (when map resets, based on variable value they will be repositioned there and attempt to reach next point, where, at the end there is a teleport to take them there (I've seen situations in which even if my command prompts were correct some would not reach the destination, so they will be ported there to make sure they start from there on the next section, and the variable is SET to the next value AFTERWARDS - and it is set not incremented, cause if I reset the map like a troll the variable will go to the next value on and on and the next conditional won't trigger anymore - I think on each feature how it would be put into the game, and how it can be exploited as well).

<> Their AI variable won't allow them on more than 1 map (will simply not spawn due to variable value - but have not reached this point yet).

<> Need to find a way with time, or, if not, make a time system myself. With your plugin that triggers before everything else it will allow me to trigger the main switch of the students at any given time ^^ Thank you for the help >:D< Hugs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1st of March 2014 I joined and it has been a great experience for 6 whole years. The only thing I can say is a huge thank you to ALL members of this forum.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!!
Now irinea just blocked me in discord
Just finished making a character selector at the beginning of the game that allows the player to pick gender and skin tone. I couldn't be more pleased.
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrunkenDwarf0098