RMMV Remnants of Ardrus (Episode 1 - OUT NOW!!! Playable in your Browser!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by padr81, Apr 18, 2015.

?

RoA Is shaping up to be Huge. Would you guys prefer to see it in 3 10 hour games or one thirty hour

1. 3 games of 10 our so hours is great.

2. 1 big game that I can play start to finish.

3. I don't care really.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    September 2019 - Update II - Episode 1 is here!!!
    Episode 1 of Remnants of Ardrus - Wheels in Motion is available now to play in your browser. Join the fun and give it a try, I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer.
    Play on GameJolt
    Play on IndieXpo

September 2019 - Update:
    So I've had to break this game down as life took over. Added to the change in PV Sprites and Tiles style, I opted to keep those awesome sprites for a new project. RoA has undergone a transformation and now uses Time Fantasy Assets!!!

The plot and gameplay is very much the same but the game is designed to be played in the browser, this means that I had to optimiize it for mobile too, so had to save on certain graphic and audio space.

The Story of RoA:
    The story of Finn and Eeva. Its set 20 or so years after a war which nearly tore the world apart when the armies of Ardrus, a nation of people who are born with what is known as "the gift" tried to conquer the world.

They were eventually beaten back and their entire nation all but wiped out. Our two main characters, will set out on a journey where they will track down their Ardrusian heritage while hoping to avoid the Seeker division of the coalition army who are determined to wipe all traces of Ardrus and the gift from the world.

Characters:
    Finn Undertree
    Age - 17
    Weapon - Bow

Bio
    Finn has led a fairly sheltered life, living with his uncle deep in the Claur Woodlands. He is soft-spoken, polite and a little bit innocent. Occasionally visits the local village with his uncle when supplies are low. His sheltered existence is a result of possessing the Gift, which is usually only present in Ardrusians. During his early years and up to his teens, Finn struggled to control his gift and as a result and the result is why his uncle moved him deep into the woodlands. He has zero experience of the real world and can be a bit naive taking just about everyone at face value.

Eeva Dewfoot
    Age - 18
    Weapon - Staff

Bio
    Eeva is a somewhat bossy bookworm. She lives with her father and local mayor Biggs at and helps to take care of Tommens Rest, the Inn of Clonfad village. She is almost always positive and is one of the only similar aged people Finn knows. Like Finn, she also has the gift but unlike him, she learned to control it at a very, very early age. It is said in Ardrus that women always had better control of the gift though men could grow vastly more powerful. Eeva in spite of her polite and similar nature to Finn though has much more life experience from dealing with customers at the Inn. Quick in battle but lacking a little in strength.

Sago Undertree
    Age - 46
    Weapon - Axe

Bio
    Following the death of his sweetheart at a young age Sago, spent his early years in the army. Eventually joining the great war. Sago was the most skilled of the team from the Claur Woodlands who eventually struck the fatal blow in winning the war. Fierce and loyal but with a distaste for taking orders, Sago never rose high and after the war, returned home to Clonfad village with his brother Faro and now mayor Biggs.

Upon the death of Faro and his wife, Sago became the sole protector of Finn and moved deep within the woodlands to hid his gift from the locals and any ears which could carry it further afield.

Sago is quite sarcastic by nature and is not the easiest person in the world to take to.

Screenshots - Updated 06/01/2018
    2.png
    3.png

Social Media
    Facebook Discord

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like a good start! For some reason your game reminds me of the Eberron setting in Dungeons&Dragons.

3. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like the story-may sound cliche at first but some tweaks gave it originality. ^^ One thing I have a question about though it could be more of a misunderstanding on my part-Elayne's father is supposed to be an Ardusian or not? If yes-then how is he the mayor of the village when the Seeker Division is after their blood? I would think that he would prefer to remain in hiding and all, do his best not to show up?

The mapping is ok in some parts but plain in the others. The castle map is looking good but I would expect more protection around such a castle, you know, not have it in the middle of the forest? :D

The desert map also feels very empty-I'm aware that IT'S a desert after all so emptiness isn't strange, but still, more rocks, dunes and perhaps more elevations would make it a lot more interesting.

Good luck with your game! Looking forward to more updates. ^^

4. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Watermark - Thanks dude, I dunno what Eberron is but you've got me curious and I'll google it.

Miss Nile - Thanks for playing. hopefully it will get less cliche as it goes on, I think the endgame will be well away from the usual, but someone will probably guess it anyway.  

I originally had the castle alone away from the capital but decided that it was a bit silly and have already changed the map.  I really struggle with sand tilesets in general, they always look either too empty or too symmetrical when I fill them up.  I should probably find some tutorials.  Thanks again for playing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  5. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update 30/04/15

Demo 0.1 is now available.

It doesn't go as far as the previous demo but it gives a better demonstration of where I'm headed.  Graphic and mapping is improved (I hope). Character sprites are changed. Battle system is closer to how I want it to be and will be tweaked even more.

Notes:

I haven't had time to do up a tutorial on battle or skill learning.  Limits are now combo's for Camryn and Oyrin and using the q,w,a,s,d buttons will keep limit chains going.  Oyrin has pretty much a full chain at the start, not so for Camryn who will learn as he levels up.

In game skills are now acquired through a LP system.  Defeating enemies earns SP (thanks to Yanfly's Script) which can be spent in the skills menu to learn new skills.

Tips:

When heading to Zarbia Tower with Elayne, I suggest you use skill points to buy the light skill. Its the quickest and most effective way to get through the enemies there.
     Along with that you might wanna get unseal and save your Limit Skills making sure you have 100 points from the end of floor 3 on.
    Here's a picture of a forest.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I lost this entire game when my computer died and am back to the drawing board. Oh well.... we start again.

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's why I always make sure my games are linked to a Dropbox or some other cloud service. This way you can be sure never to lose anything. I started doing this after losing very valuable data due to hardware deaths years ago, and this practice has saved me countless times. Well, best of luck!

8. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    thanks dude. I can get back to where I was in about a month of hardwork I'd say. Here's hoping.  Dropbox from now on for me too. Thanks for the idea

9. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A little update, I've being rebuilding this for awhile and with very little scripts added back. I'll be officially building this with MV from now on.  New engine and hopefully better resuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  10. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    An update to this and some updated screenshots from the new look, darker game its going to be. This and another screenshot at the top of the page.

Screenshot.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  11. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Heres a few new Screenshots and I've added a quick demo to the original post.

BattleView.png

OutsideInnSS.png

12. Katsudoom

Katsudoom Noodle Head Veteran

First Language:
    Unknown
    I didn't expect the game would be 3d-ish. *thumbs up*

Question:

Why does the wolf doesn't have shadows? (I mean the person or mc/player and the things and houses has a shadow, and the wolf's the only one doesn't have)

Still the game is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
    padr81 likes this.
  13. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

In battle or the one in game? Either way its because I completely forgot to add them I'll fix that asap.

Thanks for playing, delighted you enjoyed it.

Katsudoom likes this.
  14. Katsudoom

Katsudoom Noodle Head Veteran

First Language:
    Unknown
    No problem, just a friendly developer passing by and a tester at the same time.

padr81 likes this.
  15. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update - Battle System now using SmeRndmDde's timed attack to go with Yanfly's ATB.  Sorry about the lag, doesn't lag when screen recorder is not on.

16. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Another new video.  Curious and wondering if you guys think these kind of action sequences along with timed attacks are too over the top?

17. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've now been working on this for 18 months, wow.. considering the restart and other bits and pieces its amazing theres only a half hour of story on the demo. Once I have everything how I like which is pretty close now I should be able to kick on and finish it relatively quickly.

Story is now 100% and won't feature and major changes at least from how I currently have it.

NEW DEMO + UPDATE - October 23rd 2016

First the Good Stuff the Updated Current Game

https://rpgmaker.net/games/9663/

Heres a half hour demo of the early game. Some grammar and spelling mistakes and a couple of the cutscenes need perfecting.

Now the long winded update stuff....

UPDATE: 23rd October 2016 (2 months since last update),

1. Massive tweak to the battle system and it now uses only 1 times attack type but imho its the best one.

2. Players can now build characters as they see fit using a skill point system when they level up.

3. Yanfly's JP are used to buy and level up new skills.

4. Crafting (albeit little in the demo) are now added.

5. Switched from parallax to Yanfly's doodad system, maps now look exactly the same in certain areas and better in others.

6. Much updated and improved the map of Clonfad Village.

7. Charcter sprites now change to running when you dash.

DEMO ONLY

• While the story travels roughly the same length you can now explore more....

• You can now visit the world map (well a bit of the first nation in it.)

• You can now visit the Annau Steppe and progress even further north.

• The game now has its first local side quest to experience.

• Treasure Hunting Volume I is now added.

WHATS COMING NEXT UPDATE

For certain:

• Many more npc's in the Claur Woodlands, Clonfad Village region plus one more side quest. Our battle quest.

• All enemies on Annau Steppe will be updated though the current ones will still feature too.

• I want to add more to how much the nation is struggling and the poverty, it doesn't show as well as it can I think.

• Wider variety of enemy moves

• Finally get around to working on the enemy AI core.

• If you get as far north as possible and see the little cutscene
      at Vania's

I will be at least finishing that area and setting our heroes on a major learning part of their journey.

• Tweaked dialogue here and there.

• Fixed animation in ??????'s first cutscene.

• Fixed full screen resolution with updated Yanfly core plug-in.

Hopefully:

Depending on how soon the new resources arrive and I get my music work done.

• Monster enemies and not just bandits and wolves.

• Our first boss.

• Minor tweaks to menu and battle system.

• Guarding and dodging of incoming attacks.

• Another 2 or 3 custom music pieces to go with the feel of the game. In progress atm, Claur Woodlands and Aoibhe's theme.

Notes:

All in all the game should now take you about 1 hour to do including side quests and treasure hunting and maybe half that if you just bomb though the main story.

It should also give you a feel for the story and how big and hopefully violent its going to get. An idea of how the battle system is going to end up. There are only 5 different enemy types (I'm waiting on Degica to release the PV packs) and that is why the story kind of halts where it does too. All in all there are around 20 outdoor maps to explore and should give you a feel for the first nation of our epic quest.

Any and all feedback is good feedback, but the more in detail and structured you get the better. Also please give me a heads up if you can break the game in anyway or find any sort of bug.

Most of all please give it a try and hopefully you will enjoy and if I don't reply to your feedback its because I'm away at the World Kickboxing Champs with my son in proud dad mode.

Random thought upon updating: I'd really love to remake Feral Dreams by Kelarly, was replaying it recently and its probably my favourite rpg maker game.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  18. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Quick update, new screenshots added to the OP.  Little bit of info on the next demo there too.

/monthly_2016_12/585ae5d5b7e50_zarbiaTower.PNG.df68af7043c7d0f0d04f5f0b6826ea6d.PNG

/monthly_2016_12/TestTown1.PNG.95337a6b45ce6b2d7d0d89e3415c8d31.PNG

BloodletterQ likes this.
  19. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Update Feb 6th 2017
    The new Demo is here finally. Should be at least one hour of gameplay though it involves a bit of tracking back it covers over 20 maps, the games first village, a woodlands, early world map, Plains area and the games first dungeon Zarbia Tower.

Latest Battle System Notes:
    The battle system and enemies have again had a tweak making the game more of a challenge. As always the game uses SRD's timed attack plugin for battle.

Enemies are slightly different but will have alot more moves and styles in the finished game.

Action Sequences are not fully developed as of yet but should be passable.

Other Notes
    Early crafting is also possible via Clonfad Village Crafting shop but very underdeveloped atm.
    https://rpgmaker.net/games/9663/

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  20. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Great early review from Driftwood Gaming on his RoA let's play.

"I was impressed by the level of customization in this project, especially the quality of the actor sprites. The mapping was done well and I got the urge to want to explore for secrets hidden in the trees. I did find the game extremely hard while running at 144fps. This is probably decently balanced at 60fps. I found the combat system to be handled extremely well with a ton of work done with action sequencing and the number of skills and abilities. Many of the plugins have been modified to further customize and I really appreciate that. I would prefer a bit more reaction time when it comes to the SRD combat plugins and maybe a piece of armor at the beginning of the game. The encounter rate wasn't too bad but it can be unpredictable at times. The story line seemed to be interesting and I'm looking forward to where this project goes in the future. Thanks for the work you've put into this submission Padr81. I've really enjoyed playing it and I hope you continue to improve on this project. Well done."

And here is a link to his warts and all Lets Play/First Impressions. with some great feedback and constructive criticism.
    Great channel in general, check it out here.