Remove inactive party members

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone,

I am having a small issue with the Party system (I'm using Yanfly's Party System plugin). Currently, the inactive party members by greying them out instead of removing them from the main menu. If a party member is in your party but not the active battler party, they will appear greyed out.

/monthly_2016_11/18.jpg.f766c6059c202a415d715c541b384fb6.jpg

How do I make the actor disappear completely from the main menu? And only show if they're added into the party? At first I thought it was a bug, but Yanfly explained to me that that's how the engine handles by default and that if I want to disable them from appearing there l have to find a plugin.

Would anyone please aid me in the matter? If it's a complicate plugin and I'm being unreasonable, please forgive me. I didn't know that it was difficult. Please let me know if it is so and I'll withdraw my request to find another way.

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you want to be able to add as many people to the party as you like, but only the first 4 battlers will ever appear in the menu?

How do the others get a chance to become battlers if they're not in the menu (where they can be swapped with active members via the Formation command)?

Save this into a new file in your js/plugins folder - name doesn't matter:

Window_MenuStatus.prototype.maxItems = function() {
return $gameParty.battleMembers().size();
};

Should do it.

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So you want to be able to add as many people to the party as you like, but only the first 4 battlers will ever appear in the menu?

How do the others get a chance to become battlers if they're not in the menu (where they can be swapped with active members via the Formation command)?

Save this into a new file in your js/plugins folder - name doesn't matter:

Window_MenuStatus.prototype.maxItems = function() {
return $gameParty.battleMembers().size();
};

Should do it.

Thank you for getting back to me, and I'm sorry for not being specific. I'll try to describe my problem a bit more clear. My current problem is that when a battler is removed from the current party they are still being shown in the main menu but is greyed out.

For example:

> Current party: Harold, Therese, Marsha

> Show in main menu: Harold, Therese, Marsha

> I then removed Therese and Marsha from the party so that the current party consists of Harold only

> Show in main menu: Harold, Therese (greyed out), Marsha (greyed out)

/monthly_2016_11/18.jpg.f766c6059c202a415d715c541b384fb6.jpg

In this picture, there's only Harold in the party and if the party encounters an enemy, only Harold is the battler. Therese and Marsha are not in the current party but they still appear in the main menu but is greyed out.

Yanfly explained to me that:

the menu system is designed this way so you can go and alter the equipment, skills, etc. of your reserve battle members (for example, if you want to retrieve an accessory from a character in the reserve to give it to your active member).

But I find this unnecessary because in the traditional RPG games like Final Fantasy, we still can alter the equipment by switching party members as the party manager can be accessed anywhere in the world map (in my game it can be accessed anywhere). Besides, my characters use different weapon and armor so it would not be necessary, it's even confusing for me and my friends.

Thus, I kind of want the battlers that are not in the current party not showed or greyed out in the main menu anymore. If only Harold is the battler in the current party, then only his portrait and info is shown in the main menu. If Therese is added to the party, Harold and Therese is shown in the main menu.

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it. I hope I explained the problem better.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How can you have people who are not in the battle lineup when you have less than 4 party members?  Are you using a plugin?  By default, you have 4 battlers, and if you have 4 or fewer party members, they are all battlers - there is no having one or two battlers while others are in the reserve party in the default system.

In that case, you need to identify the plugin you're using, and that is where the change will need to go.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And I think you're missing the problem caused by the next step:

If an inactive actor is removed from the menu, how do you want to make that actor active again at a later time?

You need to be able to select the actor somewhere to tell the engine that it should go active again

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry for my lack of information.

Yes, I'm using a Party Manager plugin. I'm using Yanfly Party System, which can be found here: http://yanfly.moe/2015/11/20/yep-29-party-system/

With this plugin we are able to remove or add in party member(s).

I did asked Yanfly and he replied as follow:

This actually doesn't have anything to do with the Party System. It's how RPG Maker MV is handled by default. If a party member is in your party but not the active battler party, they will appear greyed out. You'll have to find a plugin that disables them from appearing there

So I came here to humbly asking for help. Thank you so much for being patient with me.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@faerin in the original post, you even stated that you're using the default party system - that wrong statement caused a lot of confusion here

That said, you still have the problem I mentioned above: if yanfly uses the default function for display (and he has to if he said that this grey-out is a base function and that he can't change it), then changing the default behaviour would most probably also remove the greyed-out actor from the party screen given by the plugin.

And that would make the inactivity permanent the same way I described above.

Fact is, you can't edit that default simply for every screen - you'll need at least one screen where the inactive actors are still visible to be able to select them again.

And that means you'll need two different display functions, and a way to select which one is used in which screen.

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@faerin in the original post, you even stated that you're using the default party system - that wrong statement caused a lot of confusion here

That said, you still have the problem I mentioned above: if yanfly uses the default function for display (and he has to if he said that this grey-out is a base function and that he can't change it), then changing the default behaviour would most probably also remove the greyed-out actor from the party screen given by the plugin.

And that would make the inactivity permanent the same way I described above.

Fact is, you can't edit that default simply for every screen - you'll need at least one screen where the inactive actors are still visible to be able to select them again.

And that means you'll need two different display functions, and a way to select which one is used in which screen.

@Andar

@Shaz

The fault is mine, I'm sorry for misleading you and others who are trying to help me. I was under the impression that it's caused by the default Party system because Yanfly said " It's how RPG Maker MV is handled by default." Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to guilt Yanfly or anything. It's of course all my lack of knowledge and my bad choice of word. I'm truly sorry about this. My English is bad, but I'll try to be more careful with describing the problem.

In Yanfly's Party System, he changed the default "Formation" to a scene where we are able to Change party member(s), remove it from the current party, lock a battler, add new battler who are stored in the lower left box...etc:

1.jpg

His video which explains many of the function:

I think it was what you where trying to tell me, the scene where the inactive actors are still visible to be able to select them again so they are not removed permanently? If it is, Yanfly Party System offers that function nicely.

When I use the RPG Maker MV command "Remove a party member", the removed party member is not shown nor greyed out in the main menu anymore and can still be added back by "Add party member" (please forgive me if the command is not exactly like that, but I don't have access to RPG Maker MV here due to being at work), I thought the problem with Yanfly Party System it can be fixed. I remember having tested another Party Manager (which I'm not sure which right now, I'll check when I'm back home) when a party member is removed from the current battle party and is not shown in the main menu either, but when added back by Party manager they're back there in the main menu.

I can make a small demo when I got back home from work, if necessary. Forgive me for my bad English, and thank you again for being patient with me.

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Andar @Shaz I made the Demo here

please take a look whenever you have some spare time, thank you so very much.

Alternatively, I have attached the demo onto my post as well.

In the Demo, I have included Yanfly Party System and the other Party Manager (MrTS_Party Manager). Using Yanfly's Party System to remove a party member out the party will cause them to be greyed out, but using MrTs Party Manager doesn't.

I was wondering if there's anything to do to make removing a party member with Yanfly Party System will not cause them to be greyed out but make them disappear from the menu instead and only present the member(s)/battler(s) that are currently active.

Thank you so very much for your time!

View attachment Party Demo.rar

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry - I'm going to leave this for someone who is more familiar with Yanfly's scripts.

continuumg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'll take a look in the next couple days.

see if I can help.

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much everyone for your kind consideration. I'll be waiting patiently!

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@continuumg Thank you so much! I'm sorry for asking this but it seems to not recognize Custom Menu Scene, only works with the base menu. I'm sorry for failing to list this before, I thought it wasn't related. I'm using the Mog Menu scene: (Mog Menu)

I made a small demo with the Mog Menu Scene plugin imported:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2vZdrhPDgdVQldhb2RFUlkzRGc

Just to be careful so I won't mess up again, I do use Mog Item and Equip Scene as well. I have uploaded an alternate demo (which is slightly larger than the one from above) with Item Scene, Equip, Status Scene... from Mog here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2vZdrhPDgdVRmlpZGxmLU52bk0

The demos have your plugin installed as well.

Of course Mog's official website has the master demo as well which includes everything, but just in case you find it rather large I made the small demo to save some of your time, hopefully.

Again I'm really sorry for keep bothering you like this. I've been looking to solve this for a month now and have no answer. I'm making a small Sailor Moon-like game for my nieces for the upcoming Christmas, so I'm hoping for a menu with large portraits like this, as children are very picky with visuals and prefer large pictures. I don't know much about programming and I'm new when it comes to RPG Maker too, I tried to keep my game simple as can be but the visual is pretty important for them. I wish I could make them happy, even though it's super hard considering my mediocre knowledge about making games. Thank you so much for being patient with me and offered your kind help.

faerin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Done! I updated the original link.

Enjoy, @faerin  :)

Put it underneath your moghunter menu plugin.

Thank you so muchly! It worked wonderfully! I'm so very sorry for making you work so much without anything in return. My nieces and I really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard