Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I recently happened across a minor quirk. Basically, I have a spell called Asphyxiate, which Silences the target and deals some damage when the state leaves (or I may make it a DoT). However, making it deal "Blunt" damage sounds a bit weird. I was thinking of renaming it "Crush" damage instead, so more skills/spells could utilize this damage type w/ more thematic accuracy? Any better suggestions besides "Crush"? It's evolved from "Bludgeoning" to "Blunt" and now to "Crush" unless a better alternative is found...thoughts?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bruise? That would suit something that happens slowly over time. Crush kinda implies immediate and significant damage.

Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, I need a name/term that works for the widest variety of skills/weapons. For example, all Maces would deal this type of damage as would an Earth spell in which boulders are hurled at the target. A Water spell where a tidal wave crashes upon the target would also deal this type of damage. I hope this clarifies things, ty.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
in D&D any magical damage that is not an element is usually "force" damage.
like, the general pain caused by an electric shock, or the pain of heavy breathing when you have the flu, or the head ache from high fever.... that feeling, that's "force" damage.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Crush sounds good to me! I mean, if ya strangle somebody, you crushing the air outta them... and if you beat somebody with a hammer, you crushing them, too. And if a boulder hits you, it's gonna crush you. Nice and broadly applicable, you got it!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Crush sounds good to me! I mean, if ya strangle somebody, you crushing the air outta them... and if you beat somebody with a hammer, you crushing them, too. And if a boulder hits you, it's gonna crush you. Nice and broadly applicable, you got it!
Ooh, now I wanna use "Crush" too lol. However, these are the icons I use for Blunt, Slash, & Pierce respectively. Would the 1st icon be a good fit for "Crush"?
1607156285203.png

Pootscooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess "Crush" it is then! Thank you! I just hope there's no instance where it makes sense to call something Blunt dmg, but not Crush dmg...

zelanius

Mechanics Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess "Crush" it is then! Thank you! I just hope there's no instance where it makes sense to call something Blunt dmg, but not Crush dmg...
Yup, I think Crush makes the most sense. Crush, Slash and Pierce are the 3 physical damage types in AD&D 2E (they changed Crush to Bludgeon in 3E), so that makes the most sense to me. I am using the same thing (plus Shock, which stands for Shockwave) in the world I am building for physical damage.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope @Pootscooter doesn't mind me asking this here...

Do you guys think a Tornado would deal Crush damage? Or something else perhaps? It's definitely physical damage of some kind. Maybe a hybrid Crush/Slash damage? Thoughts?

zelanius

Mechanics Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope @Pootscooter doesn't mind me asking this here...

Do you guys think a Tornado would deal Crush damage? Or something else perhaps? It's definitely physical damage of some kind. Maybe a hybrid Crush/Slash damage? Thoughts?
I would say it deals Crush, Slash and Pierce damage. A tornado basically also suck up debris, some of which are sharp and pointy, and so anything goes.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always considered wind to be equivalent to a blade in the way it moves, so if I was to assign it a physical attribute I would say Slash. Gasses interact with us differently than solids though, so that's not really always right either...in actuality you could have wind spells that use different physical attributes depending how they behave!
I really like to use Bludgeon, but feel like Impact is a better choice for game use and understanding.
Crush I feel isn't 100 percent accurate, if you attack someone with a bat, you aren't compressing or squeezing them, but I also was thinking that you could use the term to apply in a high school setting game instead of "charm" :LZSlol:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I think about being hit by a baseball bat, I imagine cells being Crushed by the atk lol.

zelanius

Mechanics Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup, and that's why crush/impact/bludgeon is kind of interchangeable. I have seen some games using "Impact", so I think it is fine. It is just that once you get into the various tenses, "impacting" kind of sounds weird against "slashing" and piercing", which is why I prefer crush.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ouch, the violent imagery of the baseball bat crushing someone lol, I never thought of it that way!

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Crush definitely makes more sense than blunt or bludgeon to describe that kind of damage.

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't think it matters that much just how accurate the term you choose to use makes, the important parts are that it sounds good, you are consistent with its use and there's some kind of logic to why these two separate attacks are grouped under one category. The fact that they work similar enough is usually fine.

Though, you should take care that the term makes some kind of sense at first glance. I'm still reminded of Oblivion's two melee weapon categories, Blade and Blunt. Blade was basically Swords and Daggers, Blunt was Maces and the definitely sharp Axes.

The logic for this was that both Maces and Axes work similar enough that a person skilled in the use of a mace should be able to perform decently with an axe and vice versa, but... calling the skill Blunt will still look wrong to the vast majority of people. The average player will just look at the name and say "but wait, axes aren't blunt!"

As for my opinion, Crushing works well. In my opinion, Impact is too general a term that would cover most attacks outside of some weird magic spells (and even then, you could argue it still counts).

AfroKat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I had this dilemma I ended up with Strike. So Slash, Pierce and Strike. That way Strike holds true for Clubs, Maces, Long Poles, Punches, Tackle etc etc etc.

Dark Souls uses the Slash, Thrust, Strike as well.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a native English speaker, the word "Blunt" is just fine for a damage type. Not at all weird.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a native English speaker, the word "Blunt" is just fine for a damage type. Not at all weird.
I think the issue was that certain skills/spells wouldn't seem right if listed as "Blunt" damage. @Pootscooter's OP gives an example of this:
Basically, I have a spell called Asphyxiate, which Silences the target and deals some damage when the state leaves (or I may make it a DoT). However, making it deal "Blunt" damage sounds a bit weird.
Whereas "Crush" damage would be a better fit since you can imagine the target's trachea being crushed lol.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When you thought you'd be finished with the grid, and spend ~8-9 hours on an arrow. How is this more difficult to than player movement?

Still some bugs hiding in there, but it's nearly complete.

I'm having it strictly follow the path a user draws, because there will be booby trap and other similar mechanics where you want to avoid specific cells.
I feel like banging my head against a wall every time I want to find that post that shows all the plugin header codes. Then I think "next time I find it, I'm going to bookmark it". Then I think "wait a minute ... maybe I bookmarked it last time because it took me so long to find it". Check bookmarks, and there it is :)
... a few of my main characters standing around doing nothing lol. I mostly wanted to see them together on screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baroncorrz