hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Javascript geniuses, I'm wondering if any of you are up for creating a plugin mashup of two quest systems (and I'm very sorry if this sort of request is not allowed!). I'm currently using and loving Game_Stailer94's quest system (posted here:

The only thing that I do not love about it is that the player has to drop down the categories (main quest, side quest, etc) each time they visit the quest log because they auto collapse back into folder-y things, it seems. The player then has to wade through all of their active quests to find the one they are actually actively doing. There are tabs for completed/failed/in progress quests, but at any given time the player will have a bunch of in progress quests, and I want to minimize extensive/frustrating click paths wherever possible. 

I recently found Galv's quest log (see: https://galvs-scripts.com/2016/11/11/mv-quest-log/ ) which let's players mark a quest as "tracked" in the quest log (with an icon), and it essentially bookmarks that quest so that it is automatically displayed on the right hand "details screen" whenever the quest log is open. Galv's quest log also features categories that do not auto-collapse upon exit of the quest book. Both of these features (especially the tracking feature) are very appealing to me, but I don't know enough about Javascript (yet) to make it work in Game_Stailer94's quest system. I am pretty committed to using Game_Stailer94's system, as it has a handful of other, more essential features for my game that Galv's does not.

Is it even possible to grab pieces of Galv's quest system (the tracking feature and the non-auto-collapsing quest categories) and implement them in Game_Stailer94's quest system? I imagine this will depend on the coding used, but I'd be incredibly grateful if someone could lend a hand (or tell me it is not possible).

Cheers, and happy 2017!

Last edited by a moderator:

LTN Games

Indie Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My quest plugin wich also comes with its own quest editor will be released really soon. It has categories and a quest tracker for tracking objectives on the map. It also remembers the last category opened and will show the active quest when the journal is reopened. On top of all that it has callbacks allowing you to activate a common event when a quest has started, completed or failed. I've been ironing out the bugs and getting documentation ready but if you can wait a little longer it will be released shortly. Check out my website to keep tabs on any updates as it will be the first place the plugin will be available. http://ltngames.net 

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@LTN Games Wow, this looks great! Your other plugins look awesome, too (especially item categories!) I see that Item Categories requires your core plugin -- by any chance, is it compatible with Yanfly's core? Will the quest system rely on your core, too? (I'm open to switching, just want to know what I'm getting into.)

Also, are all quest objectives automatically added to the journal upon the start of a quest? The reason I have been committed to Game_Stailer94's quest system is that it requires you to use a plugin command to display a new line of the quest, and allows you to hide (and, therefore, essentially skip over) steps. I need this sort of flexibility for my quests because there are multiple ways to complete each quest that go down slightly different paths, so I need to make sure the "next steps" are only applied to the relevant storyline/don't give too much of the quest story away. 

Thanks for referring me to your plugins!!

LTN Games

Indie Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TBH I have never tested my core with Yanfly's core, nonetheless, I'm assuming we do many of the same things, like screen resolution, bug fixes and other little features that are probably very similar. It's probably safe to say they will conflict with each other, luckily Yanfly doesn't require you to have his core plugin, well, the last time I used it, it was not required so you could easily swap them out. Also, yes, my quest journal plugin will require my core plugin, unfortunately, it's the way I programmed my plugins, a core plugin is very useful for me as a developer of plugins.

As for the quest objectives, you have the choice of hiding it on start and as you progress the quest, the next objective will be revealed. A cool little feature I may add in the future is the ability to add to the quest description for each new step revealed but that will be after the public release. Most things in my quest plugin will be optional, you can turn categories off, you can change the color for each state of the quest, so failed can be red, active can be blue, complete can be green, you can also do the same for each objective.  Rewards may also be hidden, and when EXP is a reward you can choose to distribute across the whole party of the leader only.

As for the plugin command to skip an objective,  as of right now you simply use the command to advance the quest 1 objective,

QUEST Advance QuestID Next 

or,  you can input the number of the objective and it will skip to that objective and reveal it.

QUEST Advance QuestID 3

I'm thinking of re-working this mechanic after release to be a bit more flexible with the possibility to fail an objective.

Here is a gif of the auto select, gif recording may look a bit laggy, it's gif it happens lol. 

Also don't worry about the crappy looking commands, all of that is customizable too, you can use only icons, or only text, or both and you can change the columns and rows.

QuestAutoSelect.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hppyniss

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@LTN Games Cool, thanks for the quick response. This looks great, I'll definitely keep an eye on your page and try it out when it's ready! 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been playing through Skies of Arcadia again, and it really makes me wanna see someone try to implement how ship battles were done in the game into RPG Maker (or really just in general).
split.png
split view of both versions of the pocket city you traverse through. there's differences like areas only being accessible in one version of Autumn Bay. or events that only happen in one or the other.
theortically if there were a developer who spied on people's game playthroughs and changed things in real time to make it harder for them, what might be said game developer's motivation?
Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yung_DemonxSlayer