[Request] Sound Setup for the Animation Collection dlcs

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, i am pretty new to the forum and rpg maker as well.
I brought the four animation collections and the animation select fire from steam yesterday and am now struggling to get them set up with decent sounds for an entire day, but i am appearently to stupid for this for nothing realy sounds adequate for those godsent animations. Does anyone who uses those animations could provide me with a good sound setup for this?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion & Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ty, wasn't sure where to put it other than general.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Following this topic, I have the same question about sfx for the animations. Own all packs, but the lack of sound effects added to them is a downside.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Probably unlikely, since some of the animations would be profit from external sound assets, and those cannot necessarily be shared.

I've done sounddesign for some of the animations in my game (which is a lot of work) but at the end of the day, you'll probably have to bite into the sour apple and design the effects yourself.

I wish there was a shortcut, but unfortunately, there isn't, and it's unlikely that the Animation creator is going to deliver additional sound effects since that's likely not his/her forte.

At the end of the day, you can do a lot with the default sounds of RMV (plus the additional ones added in the DLC that come with the default RMV).
simple sound.png

The way I go about it is I isolate the frame where the effects climax is and give it a target flash in a color linked to the effect's color, and a sound effect that matches the effect's climax.

Once that's done I go to the buildup phase and look for key frames that initiate the effect and give them a sound effect and afterwards I do the same for the "outro" effect of what follows the climax so every visible change in the effect has an audio effect assigned to it.

Your best friends are changing the sound effects pitch & volume. You can layer multiple soundeffects across each other to produce a new sound effect and modulate them through volume. (e.g. an explosion fused with the wooshing sound of the wind)
And you can change the sound effect itself quite a bit by changing the pitch.

Other than that, there's a lot of websites that make sounds available at free commercial license and you can google for Soniss soundpacks, they're releasing a free pack of their assets every year, and you can find all of them via google & download their massive asset collection for free (with rights to use them commercially).

But at the end of the day, it's unlikely someone has the entire animation library with sounds ready to go. Even I only have a dozen or so finished, and I make new ones based on when I need them.

Reactions: BCj

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i am working on my own right now and the sounds are becoming something good.
An animations.json can simply be shared, the ones sharing them just should include a list of their assets in a textfile. Thats at least what i will do as soon as i am done with the sounds.
the question overall wasn't about sound assets either, it was about a .json, because i am not realy good at soundwork, but i figured the other day, i am quite good at it.

Reactions: BCj

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i am working on my own right now and the sounds are becoming something good.
An animations.json can simply be shared, the ones sharing them just should include a list of their assets in a textfile. Thats at least what i will do as soon as i am done with the sounds.
the question overall wasn't about sound assets either, it was about a .json, because i am not realy good at soundwork, but i figured the other day, i am quite good at it.
I can share mine, but I'm not sure it'll be very helpful.

1. You can't directly copy all animations, because some have been adjusted for the fact that my game features a larger screen, so they were increased in size or otherwise modified, because otherwise they would have been visibly cut off. (Especially for animations that are supposed to cover the entire screen)

2. Some of these animations contain custom sound assets that were taken & cut from the Soniss sound effect bundles and renamed. As a result, I cannot share the sound asset itself, nor can I link to an easily obtainable sound effect file you can use, since the original sound effect files often held multiple effects that I cut one from.

This means I can neither provide the sound effect file itself, nor can I give you a text file with the sound asset names that you'd have to obtain and rename, meaning that all animations containing one of these sound effects won't work for you.

I could see if I can track down from which of the Soniss collections I drew the source effect from, but you'd still have to obtain those yourself & cut the required sound effect from them. :/

I'm pretty sure that if you do get a lot of those animations outfitted with sound effects, a lot of people - me included - would appreciate those. You'll have to avoid the problems of my animations file, though. It's unfortunately easy to end up with stuff that cannot be shared adequately for license reasons.

Attachments

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mentioned something i totaly forgot. The animations are standard size. How did you change their framesize? I tryed changing the spritesheet, but that turned out not realy usefull.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mentioned something i totaly forgot. The animations are standard size. How did you change their framesize? I tryed changing the spritesheet, but that turned out not realy usefull.
You can change the animation size in the spritesheet, but that's a last resort and should always done mathematically by scaling up to a much higher resolution that's a direct multiplication and has both the original size and the desired size as factor.

So if I wish to scale, say a 32 pixel tileset slot to 48 (which is 1.5 times as large), I'd scale it up (using nearest neighbor to preserve the edges) by 3x to 192, and then scale it down by 50% (/2).
The downscaling can, if necessary, be done in bicubic instead of nearest neighbor.

------
That aside, the best and easiest scaling without changing the animation itself is actually in the animations editor.
You can change the scale from 100% to your desired scale. (You'll probably have to test a little)
To do this efficiently for all frames simultaneously, use the "Batch..." command, make sure it selects the entire range you wish to modify (range of frames & animation cells), check "Scale" and change the percentage to your desired outcome.

Note that you ideally always want to scale in 100% steps. In-between you'll lose pixel and get a strange effect. A downside of scaling is that all art will, by default, eventually get a bit too blocky if scaled up too far. (because the pixels become visible in big chunks)

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also tryed scaling in the editor, but the resolts of the spritesheet change was, that it didn't adjust to the new screensize bute kept the old one with the box looking and displaying parts of other frames. And in the scaling i would need to go to around 600% (example Nova of the Thaumaturgy Pack). And that looks (understandably) only pixelated.

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also tryed scaling in the editor, but the resolts of the spritesheet change was, that it didn't adjust to the new screensize bute kept the old one with the box looking and displaying parts of other frames. And in the scaling i would need to go to around 600% (example Nova of the Thaumaturgy Pack). And that looks (understandably) only pixelated.
Yeah, the size of the animation frames is fixed, as far as I know, so you can only upscale without going beyond the default animation frame size (outside of the editor). The limit is 192x192.

You can go around that by splitting every animation into parts (e.g. 4 parts, top right, lower right, top left, lower left) and have an individual 192x192 tiled animation sheet and then merge 2 of them to load them into the editor. And there you can then rebuild your animation through effectively 4 animation cells for every frame of animation.
(Which is a lot of work)

At the end of the day, you'll probably have to accept the pixelatedness of the spell. It's unfortunate that some animations are designed to cover the entire screen, and they leave you no choice if you go beyond RMV's default screen size but to upscale to match the screen size or have these unpleant borders of the spells pop up.

Aotaru

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, with this the one pro of videscreen 720p over the default 624 becomes a miner point -.-, beeing to get rid of the black Sidebars. I thing instead of resizing the Animations i rather change the gameresolution back to default for the time beeing. Maybe i rescale animations in a later project and not my first one (on a side note: that project is already to big of a scale)

Anyone

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, with this the one pro of videscreen 720p over the default 624 becomes a miner point -.-, beeing to get rid of the black Sidebars. I thing instead of resizing the Animations i rather change the gameresolution back to default for the time beeing.
That might be the easier way if you want to avoid pixelation. I'm using 1280x720 despite that.
Maybe i rescale animations in a later project and not my first one (on a side note: that project is already to big of a scale)
If it's your first game, it may not be a bad idea to either prototype that first, or build the first version on a much smaller scale. Especially if you want to make something unique (which often involves not just mapping & eventing, but possibly also creating art assets, story arcs, balancing design sheets, etc. etc.) it's better to start small and see just how much work if required to realize your ideas.

Me and my co-dev didn't do so, and now we're dealing with significant delays in the project due to the enormous amount of art assets we have to design & plugin coding we had to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

made a bio for the protag in my project!
Beggar : "I haven't eat for days..."
Kid : "Just do crime! You will get daily necessity for free in prison~"
Stream is a bit late but will be live shortly with some game development! Feel free to drop by!
omg, why persona 5 is so good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teendinsaikha