Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there. First of all, I wanted to tell that I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this thread. If it isn't, please move it wherever it belongs. Thanks :)

Alright, I want to do something, but I'm having a problem. The explanation is below

What I want to do:
-Use RPG Maker MV in school, since the DSI teacher wants the students that use code-related software to show it (And I wanna proudly show them this software) :awink:

The Problem:
All the computers in my school are freezed. That means that each time you turn off/restart them, everything you made and didn't save outside of the PC disk is gone.

Some ideas I had about it

1. To buy a cloud machine and install everything there - Actually, I have already discarded that option, since not only the price is not that affordable, but also the internet connection in my classroom is bad.
  2. To use it from my government education laptop - I actually tried this one; After waiting hours for Steam to install + a few more for RPG Maker to download, I realized that the laptop seems to be unable to run the software properly (It crashes a few seconds after launch). I haven't discarded this option yet since I may be able to fix it, but it's hard to fix those problems on a 2Gb ram PC
  3. To bring the Steam installer in a pendrive and download the software from there - This one should actually work, only with one problem; The software is about 2 GB, and the internet connection of my school may take hours to download it. Last time, I had to go before it finished.
  4. To get everything in a pendrive (Software + Projects) - I sincerely have no idea how to make something portable, much less if it's from Steam. After a quick Google search, I found this: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...le-to-install-run-off-of-a-flash-drive.35489/ Where the last comment provides a link to a portable version of XP and VX, but not for MV. But even if they made a portable version of MV, I would need a license key from the non-steam version, so yeah, it's complicated :')
Alright, those are all my ideas. :aswt:

Any other ideas? I will really appreciate any help

Thanks!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do all your work on your computer at home and ensure the game is ready for display. Then on the school computer, assuming you can actually download and install stuff, just put on the trial version downloaded from RPGMakerWeb and forget about Steam. You'll just need to make sure you kick off the download in plenty of time, as it might take a while, and don't log out of the computer until your demo is over. You could also use your government education laptop for this instead of the school computer. Just make sure you don't use all the trial period so that it locks up before your presentation.

Ditch the pen drive idea - it just won't work, as when you install, it writes stuff into the registry, and that is on your computer, not on your pen drive.

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do all your work on your computer at home and ensure the game is ready for display. Then on the school computer, assuming you can actually download and install stuff, just put on the trial version downloaded from RPGMakerWeb and forget about Steam. You'll just need to make sure you kick off the download in plenty of time, as it might take a while, and don't log out of the computer until your demo is over. You could also use your government education laptop for this instead of the school computer. Just make sure you don't use all the trial period so that it locks up before your presentation.

Ditch the pen drive idea - it just won't work, as when you install, it writes stuff into the registry, and that is on your computer, not on your pen drive.
Nice idea! Didn't know about the trial version. Will do some research on it
And also, I had an idea that was to take screenshots of the commands and other technical stuff instead of showing it from the software, and just bring the deployed project.
Thank you a lot! :kaocry:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have your teachers ask the school administrators to install the program officially.
That could be Ace light if people are concerned about cost.

A frozen PC does NOT means that nothing can be installed, it just means that the user can't install something. Don't forget that even Windows needs to be installed before a PC can be frozen, so your teachers need to contact those admins to have them install the editor in a way that it becomes part of the frozen system. That option exists, it just can't be done by regulär users.

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have your teachers ask the school administrators to install the program officially.
That could be Ace light if people are concerned about cost.

A frozen PC does NOT means that nothing can be installed, it just means that the user can't install something. Don't forget that even Windows needs to be installed before a PC can be frozen, so your teachers need to contact those admins to have them install the editor in a way that it becomes part of the frozen system. That option exists, it just can't be done by regulär users.
Well, if I ask them to install it, they will probably download it from piracy sites instead of installing the trial version, since they refuse to pay for anything (All the software in the school computers, including the operative system are cracked). Also, since I will do it the day after tomorrow (Friday), I don't think there is time to ask them for that. But as I told to Shaz, I think I will just bring the deployed project and some screenshots about the engine and explain how it works.

I appreciate your idea anyway, thanks! :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tonko that is why I suggested Ace Lite - that is the free Version of RMVXA that is limited in content but not in time. I know that a lot of schools are short on funds.

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And even if it's Ace, not MV, things like eventing and mapping work essentially the same if not going to purely scripting level.

Tonko

Club penguin pro player
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys! I wanted to tell you that I could start presentating yesterday - And the electricity failed and all the school computers turned off while I was showcasing the project! :aswt:

Anyway, guess I will have to do it again on tuesday

But I already found out how to show it (Screenshots of the softare + Deployed demo), so this can be marked as solved.

Thank you a lot anyway! <3

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you need to report your first post and ask for it to be closed, when it's solved.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Well I'm here now, but yes in the future just report your post. :)

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

World Map for the inside of my main character's head. Every spot is an area that either occupies his thoughts or staples of everyone's "headspace"
How can I look up the components for a medieval bomb for my game without the FBI showing up at my door?
I don't think I can handle using the real SNES resolution of 512x448 because resizing absolutely every interface element I had on hand by painstaking trial & error/guess and check (is there any other way?) is KILLING me.
If anyone wants to Program for me give me a DM, ill pay if i have to!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Germelshausen