Mint69420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi,

I really like Horror City tileset found on Itch.io, but I require more variations of it to improve my project. Is it safe to ask an artist to create a similar tileset seeing as it's their own works and not Horror City work?

Also, how much does an artist charge to create a tileset?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Vexed’s Pop series is one of the most extensive tilesets available outside of the RTP. Most of their available packs (all Pop! packs, Forest Slasher, etc) go together.

Further if you look on these forums, I and other members have made tiles to complement them.

You can reach out and see if they'd be willing to create custom tiles, but I wouldn’t count on it. If they'd even be willing, in order for it to be worth their time they would charge a lot - any artist would. I can’t give you an exact price as I don’t know what rate they'd charge but for a full custom tileset from any artist, you’d be looking at hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

A part of this is at least due to the fact that when an artist makes a pack to sell they will make money from each pack sold, which if popular enough, will cover the costs of the time they spent creating it. So the labor costs are being spread out to everyone buying the pack.

When you commission art, you are the only one paying those labor costs.

If you only need a few small pieces, you could post in resource requests and see if someone would be willing to make them for you.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a classifieds section where artists offer paid tiles commissions here, but only visible to users with member rank. you can continue posting here until you get that rank to see the prices.

however, it is not cheap - depending on style and quality we're talking about several dollars for a single tile. A full tileset consisting of a dozen tilesheets (which is neccessary to have a game in a different style than RTP would cost upward of 30000 dollar - Celianna once calculated that based on the fact that it will take an artist most of a year to make the hundreds of tiles needed for that.

so if you want to commission an artist for additional tiles, you better think about what you really need and try to make it as few tiles as possible. Most people end up with commissining perhaps a dozen single tiles in an existing style to make those parts they really need in their game, because that would be possible to pay.

Mint69420

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, I thought they were made by MalibuDarby/pixeljustice. On the Twitter profile, it shows a pic of a dude.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I knew it'd be costly but I wouldn't of imagine it be that much! At least I got an understanding of it.

I have checked out the Resource section but I'm very picky with what I find and whether it fits with Horror City style. I use RPG Maker MZ and it's a bit troublesome task when finding a tileset compared to MV large thread count.

Thanks again. I'll just have to hope a new Horror City pack pops-up for me to snatch :) If not then mixing tiles is what I will do.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, Vexed (VexedEnigma) is MalibuDarby.

And I get that as far as matching styles, but there are a few of us that make them in them same style. You can see mine in my signature. Also, any tiles made for MV should work in MZ as well. They use the same size and format.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hike was successful guys! I made it to the top!
Add Film-like Visual Effects During Test-Play, Deploy Games with Electron | RPG Maker News #69

brain broken as soon as i figure out whats wrong with my game im taking a long nap
Hey guys anyone is interested in playing my game? Just PM me and I'll give you a Steam key! Here's my latest video! ->
cst.PNG
What would you assume this thing was/is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rag1993