Requests .APK expansion files

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Deployment' started by Lakaroth, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Lakaroth

Lakaroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know there's some request around here, but not a real topic, so i mad one.

With MV Client method, everything work perfectly, thanks to @xilefian who made it, and improve it!
    I've relased 2 apps, but 100MB it's a great limit, so i just try to understand how to create OBB files for expansion.

This official guide is like arabics for me.

Can someone help me?
    Thank you.

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    so far I understand OBB< it will be automatically be created from the APK files while they hold extra data from the game.
    So I have no idea what you by creating it in what way.

3. Lakaroth

Lakaroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You mean if i upload a 155MB app on the store it create automatically the OBB files?

4. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    when you create an game to an APK files, it adds OBB files in, when you install the apk on the device, it creates OBB files on the phone
    in order to get the data it needs and able to save it.

if you mean creating different OBB files, explain that part a bit more to get better help.

5. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I havent really looked over much on how to do this, but yea, basically you have two files for the app that you can use to provide additional game data..

However, I would recommend that you first try to reduce the size of the assets your using in your game. There are multiple free and paid tools available that will reduce the file size of png files (and audio files too) without losing much (if any) quality. There are things like 'spine' and 'dragonbones' that allow you to use battler images that are much smaller in size compared to normal sideview battler spritesheets. You can minify merge and compress code files. You can remove all files that arent actually used by your game.

Theres quite a lot that can actually be done to reduce your overall game size. Its always better to do that first, even if you still need more space afterwords.. (btw, app bundles have a 150mb limit, not 100) :)

Eliaquim likes this.
  6. Lakaroth

Lakaroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In google play console there's this part that is clear.

If your app needs more than 100MB of memory, you can use expansion files to store additional APK assets. You can store two expansion files per app. Each expansion file can be up to 2GB in size.

The question is:
    How can i create an expansion file?
    I don't understand the WIKI linked above.

My assets is already compressed much as possible, PNG or Audio files etc etc i need more space, i dont need GB just 200MB or 250MB.

So again:
    How can i create an expansion file?

7. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know what you mean now, 1 apk (main file that can be 40-60mb) and 1 other file that expand the game to its fulliest.
    But I need to look into that one because I have seen it a couple of times so I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

I need a few hours to look into that, but cant today, so I hope you get an answer before me :)
    If I knew how that file extension name was, It was easier to look into, but have to find it first.

Lakaroth likes this.
  8. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there

I have read over the guide from google and I regret to inform you ~ its not going to be easy!!!

To actually create the expansion files is the easy part tbh, you can use the jobb tool to do it. However, the hard part:..

When google play downloads your apk file and obb expansions, you have to use specific functions within the android app to communicate with the obb expansion files. You would have to figure a way of loading those files in a temporary location AND THEN you have the issue of making mv compatible with reading those files. This would mean you have to create a javascript interface class within the android app, that passes android functionality to the javascript environment that your game is using - so that your game can actually get the correct file paths for the files included in your obb expansion files.

Like I said, not an easy feat. I would consider making a tutorial to demonstrate how to do it, but tbh, it would be quite a bit of work and not something I think I could easily explain in a short video ~ so that options out. Your best bet is probably to hire someone familiar enough with both android app and mv game development to assist you (i doubt it'd be cheap ~ I wouldnt do it for less than a good couple hundies for example). Or hope that the someone in the community somehow releases a system that does it all for you for free.. (wouldnt hold my breath for that one though)

I mean, with that being said ~ its not impossible. Its just not as easy as 'make the expansion files', and if your finding that difficult, you havent even scratched the tip of the difficulty iceberg yet im afraid :(

If your interested, I made some recent video tutorials on how to make an android app that includes a javscript interface class that is passed to the game environment. But it really would require you to get into the programming side of things ~ idk how comfortable you are with that.

Sorry this isnt the answer you were hoping for :(

Lakaroth and Black Mamba like this.
  9. Lakaroth

Lakaroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you very much guys, i'll check it out and hope to understand something...
    If i find a methid i'll write a tutorial here!

?????? likes this.