Requests for a Tactical Turn Based Battle System (Example: Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, Shining Force)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! 
I'm really hoping for a tactical turn based battle system plugin. The idea behind this is actually tabletop rpgs like Pathfinder and D&D, where moving around and positioning on the battlefield and using non combat actions is still a significant part of the fight, and there are several options on a character's turn.

The game highlights characters based on turn order, and the character has options to move, use skill, or set skill. Set skill implies preparing a skill to be activated upon a trigger, like a counter attack or attack of opportunity. Examples of the Skills include Attack (further options depending on known techniques), Step (free 1 tile movement per turn under most circumstances), Sense (read and detect enemies), Heal, Disarm, and Sunder.
A character can move a certain number of spaces per turn and then take another action, such as an attack action. Or, the character can choose to spend their whole turn running and move twice as far.
Flanking and line of sight are important to include, and there will be a stealth skill for escaping and moving when out of sight of an enemy. 
During an attack or other skill or action, the scene changes to the battle sprites acting this out as usual, but only for that one action before returning to the top down view.
Alternatively, I would like the option to display specific art assets and effects for a specific action, for example a character attacks and the game displays a high resolution art piece or composite of two art pieces displaying the two actors involved representing that action for 1 to 2 seconds. 
Certain actions and animations depend on having certain passive skills or "feats" chosen.

Here are a few quick examples of what this system might look similar to:

https://youtu.be/nEN4JpM90CY?t=1m4s

https://youtu.be/piFTSw-hm4A?t=21m32s

It would be helpful to have custom stats for this as well but if that can be added separately it should be fine.
Also being able to equip a weapon or item in each hand for penalties and more attacks would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to look through this!

Annarek

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
I wish for a same pluggin. I am a big fan of Shining force and want to make a similar game.the only thing i need is the battle engine to make the battles. 

After some research i found this on the web, but i know next to zero in programming.

https://github.com/Bilalh/A-Tactical-RPG-Engine

i hope it might be helpfull for someone to make the plugin

Rito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Wait and ... wait  :D

It will happen sooner or later.

These scripts require a lot of preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bump!
I will be happy to commission this type of system if I'll be able to use it as a plug in for my commercial projects.

Jeremy Cannady

Coldfire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This script would be pretty difficult. If someone has made one in the past. Probably better to wait until they remake it.

Getting it to a grid wouldn't be to hard. Neither would be the moving but the AI would have to be restructured for this grid and distances.

And you would have to specify in each skill what distance it is usable. You have to have a system to determine how far a player can move each turn(probably by agility).

Then you have to decide if you want some kind of cursor so on and so forth.

Reaction score
First Language
Portugues
Primarily Uses
I wanted someone who was already working in this tactical battle system , very anxious to use something like the RPG maker 97 .

Reaction score
First Language
Portugues
Primarily Uses

Did someone is developing this plugin? or pelomenos already looked at him fondly ?

Kest

The Ecstasy of Gold
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I wish for a same pluggin. I am a big fan of Shining force and want to make a similar game.the only thing i need is the battle engine to make the battles. 
Pretty sure there was a tactical plugin for VXAce. But you don't sound too picky, and if you don't want to wait for a MV version,

there is a game called Battle for Wesnoth that supports modding http://www.wesnoth.org/

• open-source (its free!)
  • cross-platform
  • turn-based
  • tactical combat
  • singleplayer
  • multiplayer

Last edited by a moderator:

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Apparently none.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Still eagerly anticipating someone undertaking this project!

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This script would be pretty difficult. If someone has made one in the past. Probably better to wait until they remake it.

Getting it to a grid wouldn't be to hard. Neither would be the moving but the AI would have to be restructured for this grid and distances.

And you would have to specify in each skill what distance it is usable. You have to have a system to determine how far a player can move each turn(probably by agility).

Then you have to decide if you want some kind of cursor so on and so forth.
That's the main problem. It isn't just a switch you turn on, it is a lot of modifications.

- Grid

- - Grid movement

- - - AI movement

- - Grid placement

- - Attack distances

- - - AI attack

And so on, even for a bare minimum TRPG. For special skills with AoE it could get messy pretty fast.

Still, someone can dream, and I sure want a plugin for that.

Quxios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The whole movement thing isn't all that hard, since we already have the whole Game_Characters class and Game_Map. When I was messing with TRPG in Ace I found it wasn't that hard, all I did was merge parts from spriteset_battle with spriteset_map.

The part I found most difficult was setting up the shapes for skills ( shape changes when there's an impassable tile ), but once I figured it out, it was like wow it was that easy?

And I never went in and did AI because that was around the time I stopped on Ace because of school and waiting for the rumored new maker.

I might start on a tbs for MV once there's a decent isometric plugin out, because I'm not really a fan of non iso trpg.

Cr3ated

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I know that GubiD made a system similar to Fire Emblem, but I'm not sure if he's doing it for MV or not. You could also add more scripts to that in order to turn it into a Final Fantasy Tactics type of game. I'm hoping that someone will undertake this as well.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The whole movement thing isn't all that hard, since we already have the whole Game_Characters class and Game_Map. When I was messing with TRPG in Ace I found it wasn't that hard, all I did was merge parts from spriteset_battle with spriteset_map.

The part I found most difficult was setting up the shapes for skills ( shape changes when there's an impassable tile ), but once I figured it out, it was like wow it was that easy?

And I never went in and did AI because that was around the time I stopped on Ace because of school and waiting for the rumored new maker.

I might start on a tbs for MV once there's a decent isometric plugin out, because I'm not really a fan of non iso trpg.
Wouldn't that not interfere (much) of the development of a TBS plugin? I always thought an isometric plugin would just shift the x and y and require the developer to make a bunch of isometric graphics. Besides, Fire Emblem is one of those nice examples that even a non-isometric TBS can be done nice.

And I didn't forget you, Shinning Force. I never will.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm still needing this for the project I've been wanting to create. 

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If you really need it, consider opening a paid request over here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/79-classifieds-requests/

Battle systems are huge plugins, that take a single person several weeks to months and unless someone else already comissioned one (and makes it free to use, afterwards), it might take a whole while, until a scripter decides to do this.

Keep in mind, that a plugin of this magnitude can easily cost you a few hundred dollars, though.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you really need it, consider opening a paid request over here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/79-classifieds-requests/

Battle systems are huge plugins, that take a single person several weeks to months and unless someone else already comissioned one (and makes it free to use, afterwards), it might take a whole while, until a scripter decides to do this.

Keep in mind, that a plugin of this magnitude can easily cost you a few hundred dollars, though.

Or even a thousand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!
Stream will be live shortly with some Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?
Man, being able to edit my game WHILE testplaying it is like the most convenient thing EVER. Thank you, MV...it even makes up for the OGG thing. Well, almost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detulovnoc