shininblade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi all, i'm stuck a little on a puzzle im creating, im on the right track but i seem to be missing one small switch or variable
that i cant seem to put my finger on. Anyway here's a description of what im trying to do.

5IcqTgb.png

Im trying to make a puzzle that requires 2 of the 4 stars to light up, so if for example if i interact with the red star, it will shine brighter then wait for the next command, which then i will have to activate the purple star (or vice versa) - once these two star's are lit (not in order, purple can be activated first then red, or red then purple), they will both transform into white stars and open the way.

Does anybody know how i can achieve this?

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You want the red and purple stars to light up. So you can first have a variable. Name it something like puzzle1. When you interact with the red/purple star, the value of puzzle1 increases by 1. Check if the value of puzzle1 is 2. If it's not, do nothing. If it is, turn the stars white and open the path. Again when you interact with the other star (a separate event), the value increases by 1. After that do the same condition check again. If puzzle1 isn't 2, do nothing and if it is, they turn white and open the way. That's the general idea I have for this puzzle. You need to do some more work for cases if they're not interacted in pairs or letting the player know that they did something wrong.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess you are talking about events, so each star represents one event?

In this case you can use switches for this. It is a very simple approach but it should work:
Add an Conditional Branch for the corresponding event to check if the related event was triggered. So if you activate red, set a control switch turning on the red star (second event page with illuminated image) and the check if the second star (e.g. purple is on). If yes, set a new switch (e.g. all stars white) which should be the third page for your stars...

switches.png

Instead of using switches you could also use a variable which is probably more "elegant"

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You didn't explain what the green and orange stars do, so I'm going to assume that they're completely irrelevant to your puzzle (as in: they do nothing).

Which means you need 2 switches, one for the red star, and another for the purple one. Interacting with the red star turns the "red star switch" on, and interacting with the purple one turns the "purple star switch" on.

Both stars will also have 3 event pages. Page 1 simply turns on the star's respective switch. Page 2 is active when the respective switch is turned on (Page 2 of red star needs "red star switch" turned on, and so on). And finally, page 3 requires both switches to be turned on, uses a white star sprite, and teleports the player on touch.

shininblade

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi All , thank you for your quick replies, i just solved this, i wasn't too far off but eventually i got it.

If anyone is having the same problem in the future, @ me and ill post screenshots of my examples.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png
I always smile to myself when I see someone do the "immediate halt and spin around" from forgetting something. I find it sort of endearing how we all do it without ever being taught to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raeellee