Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Description of the Feature:
  • Allow to specify folders as required
  • Optional: allow wildcard for required assests.

RPG Maker MV allows the plugin manager to specify resources not to be removed via the "Exclude unused files" option via the @requiredAssets feature. And despite reading so often in this forum that the "Exclude unused files" feature should best be avoided, it works quite well, once all assets are defined via the @requiredAssets in the plugin manager.
Exclude unused files.PNG
But this feature has one particular problem and that is it needs a specific resource. It doesn't allow wildcards like for example *.png or to specify a whole folder.

Mockups:
Code:
Either
* @requiredAssets img/example/

or
* @requiredAssetFolder img/example/

Optional:
* @requiredAssets img/example/*.png
Why is this feature good?
Some plugin creators create subfolders for example specific images, but let the game creators put their own images into this folder. A good example for this would be SumRndmDde's picture choices. Such resources cannot be marked by the plugin authors as required beforehand.

• Plugin creators can specify their subfolders as required.
  • Makes "Exclude unused files" more reliable and actually useful for games with heavy plugin usage.

Possible issues with this feature?
  • Makes it easier to include a lot of required resources during the deployment.
  • No need anymore to create empty maps, with "Show Picture Commands" for all required resources.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I actually think this is a great idea. Exclude unused files works great if someone doesn't use plugins, but for those who do (which is the majority of people) and for coders it that feature is useless. Plus, we waste a lot of time trying to optimize our projects (for those who even bother doing that lol).

I would also like the ability to select one by one, or even by folder, which files or folders I want the software to keep.

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 Thank you.

And I have a question:
How long must the poll in the editor improvement threads normally be kept open? Mine is currently open ended.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@MushroomCake28 Thank you.

And I have a question:
How long must the poll in the editor improvement threads normally be kept open? Mine is currently open ended.
It seems like most threads like these usually don't have a time limit for the polls. I suppose this allow members that read this post in the future to be able to have a say.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would also like the ability to select one by one
that ability already exists - as the OP said the function @requiredassets had existed as long as the option "exclude unused files" as they were implemented together. It's just that most programmers don't use it, and that it forces selection one by one as it has no wildcard option.
It was originally intended as a way to track interest and as such it should always be open ended.
The problem is that they had only limited budget for changes, and that the main programmer didn't like to implement features suggested by others. So they had to select what to propose.
And the accumulated number of votes was to give them help with deciding what to propose and what not.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
that ability already exists - as the OP said the function @requiredassets had existed as long as the option "exclude unused files" as they were implemented together. It's just that most programmers don't use it, and that it forces selection one by one as it has no wildcard option.
Wow, how did I not know that lol. I've been coding for a couple years in MV and never came across @requiredassets. Although that's nice, by "I would also like the ability to select one by one " I also meant a window that pops out with all the assets and you can select with your mouse what to keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.

Guess what's next...
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)
so like with the whole 'familiarity breeds contempt thingy', how are you supposed to tell if your title screen/battle music gets really tedious after a few dozen plays or if you're just personally hella sick of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesuProYT