Resize Tileset from 16x16 to MV Style(Photoshop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(i hope this Thread is on the right Place)

Is someone with Photoshop able to make a Clean Resize of these free Tilesets?
(to fit for RPG MV)

This tileset is 16x16
Ace is 32x32
MV is 48x48
(so i guess it would need to resize it from 16x16 to Ace_Size and if it that works clean, resize it from ACE_32x32 to MV_48x48)

I tried it with a Resizer Website but it made small but important differences,
i saw german utub tutorials, that photoshop can handle better the way how pixels are changed while resizing..
(but i got no photoshop.. and here is the utub link.. i know ACE is 32x32 but this should show how to do it.. hopefully)

Sry for bothering i know this could take some time to work on..thx
( i could offer some WalkingSprite- or Weapon- or Icon- Edits in Exchange )

Last edited:

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I made an attempt and think it looks okay, let me know.

Attachments

• Resize to 4848.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got photoshop, but if those tiles are 32x32, than they say, make rescale -50%, than
rescale +300% so the process is smoother (works in photoshop, krita, gimp.

while I use Photoshop, I can help you with it. but it might be tomorrow on earliest
if there is no rush for it (need to take it easy this day for now) or I could do it instantly
for you.

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am confused, as both Graphicsgale and Gimp are free and can do this...
Just make sure you resize with the correct settings and done.
1611848016398.png
Of course you will have to set them up the right way to match the tileset format (e.g. turning the waterfall into a charset or multiple autotiles).
(reminded me that my Gimp is set up in english instead of my mother tounge so i can make screens people here undertstand, lol)

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am confused, as both Graphicsgale and Gimp are free and can do this...
Just make sure you resize with the correct settings and done.
View attachment 177293
Of course you will have to set them up the right way to match the tileset format (e.g. turning the waterfall into a charset or multiple autotiles).
(reminded me that my Gimp is set up in english instead of my mother tounge so i can make screens people here undertstand, lol)
sry i also got no Graphicsgale and my Gimp skill is very limited .. i mostly use Paint3D and free online website tools..
(but thx for the info, might be helpfull in the future)

@Celestrium
THX i will test if that works better than my try to resize it^^
(let me know if you ever need some custom sprite edits like i mentioned above)

@ ShadowDragon

i Think you missunderstood , the Free tileset is 16x16 by default..
Only the video shows the example on 32x32 -> 48x48

-----------
However every help is much apprechiated, and i will post info about
Celestriums Try as soon i fully tested it ..

(OFFtopic=>hopefully the forum is fixed soon .-.)

EDIT

THX @Celestrium, it works like a Charm!
i couldnt find any detail mistakes and had no problem making a little example which wasnt working correctly on my own try earlier...

I guess this is solved , i will report it to be closed , and might re_open it if i get any problems later

Thank you very much :
@
Celestrium
ShadowDragon
Avery

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dopan because video = vx(ace) to MV, didn't know the titleset was in 16x16,
so easy +300% would do the ob in bilinair nicely (or sharpness) to test that out
as outcome, other options make it blurry or make it ugly.

As for @Avery Solution on gimp and GraphicScale (that constantly slip my mind)
and I dont use that one, can work (if she says it does, than it does) if she make
icons and tilesets in it :)
but if you just need to re-scale from 16x16 to 48x48, why not download it and
use it for re-scaling only, if it does the job for you?

See it this way, Photoshop (paid), gimp, krita, graphicscale (free), are nice alternative,
while most are paint editors or photo editors, most look = paint designed as look,
specially the icons, so it's easy to learn them within a couple of minutes.

using it or to the limit with graphic designes, than more comes to it, but download
graphicscale or gimp or krita, and re-scale, see how it works out for you, if you
have still trouble, we can help out :)

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Dopan I wanted to say that Avery's suggestion is what is best for you as a developer. Graphicsgale is a free program as well as GIMP and learning resizing is considered a basic skill, I personally use it a lot. I don't mind helping, but Avery suggested FREE tools that work well for the job, paint3D is like trying to eat cereal with a fork, I mean it works, but it isn't the right tool for eating cereal. Try a spoon and things go better!

On another note, I find resizing in GIMP a bit difficult for a beginner to the program, and I find myself having to try several times trying to get the settings right sometimes, but I also experiment a lot and change all the settings for other things. The important part is this is an even resize as Shadowdragon has said, because if it's not then it's blurry no matter what you do and that's when you have to use different settings and edit yourself.

For Graphicsgale, I think it is under resample in that...

Also, Avery and Shadowdragon are artists who have contributed a lot of fantastic art to the community here, they both have proved they know what they are talking about and listening to what they have to say will only make you better. It is a step towards becoming a better developer to make an awesome game. I hope you consider what they both said and try to learn it yourself, it opens more doors for your games.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(so i guess it would need to resize it from 16x16 to Ace_Size and if it that works clean, resize it from ACE_32x32 to MV_48x48)
wrong guess - that would actually create the blur that is the problem.

resizing using a nearest neighbor formula is usually absolutely clean as long as the resize is a full multiplier. ONLY if you resize with fractions the blur is created.
so
16 pixel x2 = 32 pixel is absolutely clean
16 pixel x3 = 48 pixel is absolutely clean
but 32x1.5 will create blur because 1.5 is a fractional resize.

edit: didn't see the other answers before I wrote this

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
edit: didn't see the other answers before I wrote this
nevermind , i found all of the Postings have very helpfull infos for the future..Thank you^^

just as sidenote: on my first try, i used this website and multiplicated the pixel amount with 3, but the website tool wasnt a good solution on the details and didnt solved it^^

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but the website tool wasnt a good solution on the details and didnt solved it^^
that is what I meant when I said "nearest neighbor".
There are different ways for programs to guess which colors to invent for the new pixels needed on increasing a pictures size.
Those different formulae each have their advantages and disadvantages, and the formula that is best for increasing the size of photos and pictures is one of the worst when it comes to increase pixel art like tiles.
The better programs allow you to select between options when resizing. Photoshop for example offers "bicubic", "bilinear" and "pixel repeat" (if I translate correctly, my Photoshop isn't in english - the last one would be the one needed for pixel art obviously).

If a program or website does not allow you to select the formula, then that means it is of lower quality and can only be used for one type of pictures. Although tutorials like the one you linked before are showing ways to work around limitations that are created by missing options...

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
GIMP uses something similiar to photoshop as seen below. You want to use "none" for pixel art, as it preserves the transparencies. This is just as Avery demonstrated above. NoHalo and LoHalo are best for photos. I think you got all the information you need now and more.

1611855558844.png

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Celestrium I cannot tell that I'm an artist in overal, I make designs and text effect,
edit tilesets like in my resoursces, original can be much betters and what I make
also goes far behind the tileset RPG MV uses.

Tilesets from scratch is something which is way harder for me and need to learn how
to make it nicely, but when I make some (if I do), than I would share it with the
community.

but I know Photoshopshop and I use it almost daily, so scaling is something that I
use often with photo's and objects, so there are ways to keep things sharp :)

While GIMP might not have biliniar pr the sharpness option, graphicsgale might
have that, if not, nearest neighbor is the best option + sharpness tool.

for the sharpness tool if included is something you need to be carefull with,
you cannot just use it randomly while it can leave pixels behind you dont want.

but I help where I'm able too :) (that for free) it's a hobby, and hobbies are free ^^

@Dopan I hope it will work out with the program you choose to try it out.
and learn the basic tools + rescaling, because it's really a timesaver if you need
to wait over an hour if not longer to get help, while during that time, things are
already scaled :)

but your always free to ask help if your stuck with something =)

but I wish you the best on your project.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

(You are asking for resources, not creating and sharing them, which is what the MV Resource forum is for)

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

AeroPergold wrote on LUKElcs's profile.
Its-a me, Pergold from Gamejolt!
I added footstep sounds to our content that I posted in a previous thread. I was unable to edit the post, so if you're interested, see below.

DOWNLOAD LINK

I've started working on rpg maker again, and I can see a lot of improvement from when I was 13. I still have a long way to go, but I'm proud that I've gotten this far.
Animated Title screen is by SharkerrBlue(SB)
I am using the Nightmare Land pack.
I just can't walk to the store for lunch without walking past people smoking. It not only smells bad, it's probably poisoning me. I'm afraid I'll eventually have to be hospitalized. I can't take another path because there's too much traffic and drivers in the plaza are reckless sometimes. I almost got run over once, even after looking both ways.
RyanYe wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Your art works about Wyrvens and Dragons are sooooooooo cooooooooool~! I like them so bad
Can you create more? like Archangels, Devils, Titans, Cyclops!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thespyinthehole