Resizing pixel art

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by centaur66, May 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. centaur66

centaur66 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This is a thing that i had to experiment for a little while to figure out so ill post what i found here so you dont have to. Sometimes when trying to resize pixel art using online tools and paint programs you'll see the quality turn to absolute trash. Basically there are two ways i like to do it that makes it look really good and crisp, just the way it looked before you resized it.

1. Piskel: Piskel is an online pixel art tool that has a ton of awesome tools like shading pens and dithering. It has a really cool resizing feature where you can use a sliding scale from 1x to 32x, save your art as a gif, spritesheet, png, or in a zip file. It also remembers your resize option just in case you forget.

2. (microsoft users only) MS paint 3d: For some reason this program is really good at keeping the quality of pixel art when resizing, even though vanilla MS paint isn't. It's entirely free (so is piskel) and nowadays it comes standard along with vanilla MS paint on every(?) microsoft machine. I use it to resize my tilesets because using larger sprites in piskel gives me anxiety.

I hope this helps! :3

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    PaintNET also has a resize feature that works well with pixel art if you use the resize feature's "Nearest Neighbor" option.

3. Meike

Meike ||Telling Stories Through Games|| Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aseprite: use 'nearest neighbor' option and stick to resizing pixel art by 2x 3x etc

4. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gimp has interpolation setting you can set when resizing. If you set it to none, pixel art remains pixelated.