Resizing RPG Maker VX Ace Facesets for MV?

JoanaTREX

Candi
Reaction score
First Language
PT
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello!
So I had no idea that the tile sizes on MV were different from VX Ace, me and some classmates are making an RPG Maker game for our project, and being the artsy friend, I immediately offered to create the sprites
I grabbed my VX Ace templates and drew some Facesets, blissfully unaware of the size differences :(
Resizing wouldn't be a problem, but this is pixel art and even with using the Nearest Neighbour option on Photoshop, still looks pretty awful
Is there some way to alter the game's code or anything so that the smaller sprites can be used instead of the large ones? I really don't want to redraw everything again...

For context, these are the sprites I made :( 96x96 each​

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The code can't be altered for that, as the message window would have wrong size fonts and everything if it were (plus remember the facesets are also used in menus and other places). But if you rescale them to 3x the original size, then shrink that to half size, the results are usually better. The reason is it is easier to scale up/down by full integer multiples than 1.5x.

However if that doesn't work, then you will be stuck redrawing them.

Ebanyle

açspasl~d~dfflass
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Besides what was said above, the only thing I can think of is perhaps changing the message window size, there are a couple of plugins able to do it. But I'm not sure if the face positioning would be properly adjusted alongside it:kaocry:

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's Core Engine lets you set the face height and face width in the plugin parameters, though I personally haven't tried it to see how it changes the placement of faces in the menu and message window, etc. You can also change the height of message windows (i.e., the number of lines displayed) in Yanfly's Message Core plugin, so the faces won't be surrounded by too much empty space.

You can find the plugins here: http://yanfly.moe/yep/

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The code can't be altered for that, as the message window would have wrong size fonts and everything if it were
you can, if you specify a target size X and Y in the blt() method, when you create the sprite.
Ace has .blt() and .stretch_blt(), one for copying fixed rectangles, and the other for copying rectangles with modified target size.
MV unifies both in
Code:
blt (sourcefile, srcX, srcY, srcwdt, srchgt, destx, desty, [newwidth=srcwdt], [newheight=srchgt])
every blt() can be expressed as stretch_blt() if you pass down equal source and destination rectangles, which is the magic behind my window replacement, so, you bet I know about it :D
I don't know about the quality of the end result tho.... but it can be done.

read the MV help file, JS Library -> Bitmap -> .blt().

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gstv87 : You sure though that would fix the problem with the menu too, as it is expecting a 144 x 144 size sprite.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@gstv87 : You sure though that would fix the problem with the menu too, as it is expecting a 144 x 144 size sprite.
most likely, as long as you specify the correct size.
everything is written as a function of screen height, tho.... so the actual face size would be
Code:
((screensize - (2 * padding)) / numitems) - (2 * padding)
the face is 144p, but the space allocated for it might be bigger, I'm not familiar with the MV sizes as I am with Ace's

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I suppose you could try resizing with Waifu2x, which is one of the best upscaling methods I've encountered to date. It'll probably scale them to be too large, but that's not as bad since it's generally less terrible to scale something down than it is to scale something up. Of course, you did say pixel art, so chances are this won't really work, but I figured I'd offer it as an option anyway just in case.

JoanaTREX

Candi
Reaction score
First Language
PT
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi everyone! Thank you for the responses, I ended up forgetting I made this thread, but I managed to find a way to get something similar to what I wanted to make without losing the quality of my art!

I downloaded this plugin that allowed me to use bust pictures, but I replaced the bust pictures with the icons and tampered with the sizes in order to get this result :) Not exactly what I had in mind, but it works and maybe this can help someone who might be having a similar issue :)
upload_2019-5-24_10-40-40.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thinking about picking up Luna Engine, but also wondering if I should wait to see if it goes on sale.
So looks like the last Star Wars movie sucked. We feared George would kill his own legacy after Episode 1. But look like he handed off to others to put it out of its misery. Does that count as assisted suicide?
Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marsa16