SqueakyMattie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I want the player character to stay pixelated so I drew her small, but in battle, she appears way too small. I didn't make her animated, is there a way to resize her in the battle screne without changing the actual image itself?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I understand what you want, but you're asking/approaching it in a very weird way. Your battler will appear (...obviously?) at the size you drew her. The default sprite cells are 64x64, so if you draw it larger or smaller, it will be visually larger or smaller...one pixel is one pixel.

So if you want your graphics to look pixelated, draw them blockier. Try changing the drawing tool in whatever image editor you're using so that your brush is, say, 8 pixels square instead of 1. Adjust your snap grid accordingly, go from there. If that's not blocky/pixelated enough, make the brush larger.

SqueakyMattie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I understand what you want, but you're asking/approaching it in a very weird way. Your battler will appear (...obviously?) at the size you drew her. The default sprite cells are 64x64, so if you draw it larger or smaller, it will be visually larger or smaller...one pixel is one pixel.

So if you want your graphics to look pixelated, draw them blockier. Try changing the drawing tool in whatever image editor you're using so that your brush is, say, 8 pixels square instead of 1. Adjust your snap grid accordingly, go from there. If that's not blocky/pixelated enough, make the brush larger.
Wouldn't that make it go outside of the grid space of the sprite sheet?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wouldn't that make it go outside of the grid space of the sprite sheet?
...not if you don't draw outside of it? I don't understand your question, really.

Here is a character sprite from RPG Maker MV (MZ is the same size). Next to him is a replicated sprite from Final Fantasy I. They are both 64x64 pixels, and so take up the same amount of space on the screen.

The warrior on the right looks pixelated because instead of actually using the individual pixels at that scale to create curves, details and shading, a larger brush was used to draw it. Each "pixel" of the warrior is 2x2.

(Additionally, the cells of your character sprites don't actually have to be 64x64, so it doesn't matter if you "go outside" of that, so long as all the cells are the same size. But I think that's not germane to your issue)

Attachments

• pixelated.png
    pixelated.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 8

SqueakyMattie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...not if you don't draw outside of it? I don't understand your question, really.

Here is a character sprite from RPG Maker MV (MZ is the same size). Next to him is a replicated sprite from Final Fantasy I. They are both 64x64 pixels, and so take up the same amount of space on the screen.

The warrior on the right looks pixelated because instead of actually using the individual pixels at that scale to create curves, details and shading, a larger brush was used to draw it. Each "pixel" of the warrior is 2x2.

(Additionally, the cells of your character sprites don't actually have to be 64x64, so it doesn't matter if you "go outside" of that, so long as all the cells are the same size. But I think that's not germane to your issue)
Thanks for the help, I managed to get the picture to a size that I'm happy with. Though now I'm having another issue which is the placement of the actor herself in the battle scene. She is standing way too high, I'd like to have her legs end at the box, I made sure to place her at the bottom of the gridspace in the png itself. I couldn't find any offset option in rpg maker.Screenshot (1210)_LI.jpg

BalticoX

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you using side view battles?
My recommendation will be to use front-view battles (System 1 section of the Database) and then go to the Troops section of the Database, find your Zombie's troop, go to Battle Events and double click there to add an Event Command. To show your Character's bust image the best option will be the Show Picture event command, found on tab #2 when adding event commands to the battle event. Combine that with Show Text event command to make it look like the characters is talking or something, the hide the picture so the battle can happen in first person (front-view)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I couldn't find any offset option in rpg maker.
that is because there is none.
The RPG-Makers work differently than you assume they do.

For some background info, please refer to the following tutorial.
It will NOT solve your last problem, but explain in more detail where your original misconceptions were.

That said, the actor battler positioning in the sideview battlescreen has absolutely nothing to do with the sprite the actor is using.
The sprite is placed on a fixed XY coordinate of the screen, and you'll need a plugin to reprogram that coordinate. There should be several plugins with that option available but I don't use MZ enough to link you to them.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Need a few testers for my new plugin, any takers?
Good night (or day) to everyone! :smile:
You thought kids rooms were messy. Look at this.
Back in the house and I'm hungry
Yoshi!
DNPwhy.gif

You're using that item wrong... TwT

Trying to get the mechanics down for a cute, story-driven board game! I think I've accomplished dice movement, item effects, and activating a space's event when you land on it. Art is WIP. Hope to open a thread about the game soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kels