Resizing tiles for MV

NetSeeker

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
The results of resizing look pretty good, thanks for posting this, I am gonna try myself. 

Oh, another thing that comes into my mind is, images may look different when you resize them. 

For instance, you draw a 64x64 image as resource for your game, but you only need 32x32, when you down size it, the edges and borders may look different than 64x64 size.

So directly making 32x32 image seems better but if you want to upgrade your resources to 64x64, resizing from 32x32 to 64x64 will not give you the best results.

This is a problem for me right now...

tati light

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 @NetSeeker

You are right. The best quality will be always the original native resolution. Any resize will make the image lose quality, no matter how good is the resize process. About drawing a 64x64 to downscale later, that heavily depends on the artist. I know many artists out there who likes to draw very larger images on purpose to later downscale and make it look better, that also depends on the style of the artist, and if they already take the post-process in mind.

Also remember that MV uses 48p for tiles/tilesets, so drawing either at 32p or 64p would be bad if you are using the original grid size from MV. The best way would be to draw directly in 48p or 96p if you like to draw it big and downscale after. For drawing at 96p, I recommend use of Bilinear filter to make it 48p, because the other default filters (bicubic for example) will lose a lot of quality from the original image. Bilinear is always the best for 1/2 resizes.

Edit: just an example, about post-downscale, I made this image some months ago: https://veuwer.com/i/3b7p.jpg

Was meant as a wallpaper, but I created it at 7500x5000 before down-scaling it...

Last edited by a moderator:

NetSeeker

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think it is the time for me to dig into pixel art. Lol

#Blessed sun#

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can anyone describe this method for gimp. Sorry for disturbing.

navisXD

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
same issue with the bigger 32x32 sprites. hopefully i fixed it with waifux2 thanks alot!

thetitledking

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Great guide! Really needed this one :D  

If you don't mind can someone help me to resize the faces from rpg xv ace to mv cause I want to use some of them as well

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have actually taken to using RyanBram's resizing utility (which makes use of waifu2x, ImageMagick and other things) to do my resize. A quick sharpen (sharpness of 30 in GIMP, usually) and things seem good to go to pair up with MV.

You can find the post with the utility here.

Note: The "smoother" resize works well for VX/Ace tiles as well as all facesets. I've also used it to scale up animations. The "faster" resize works well for resizing XP tilesets.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I have actually taken to using RyanBram's resizing utility (which makes use of waifu2x, ImageMagick and other things) to do my resize. A quick sharpen (sharpness of 30 in GIMP, usually) and things seem good to go to pair up with MV.

You can find the post with the utility here.

Note: The "smoother" resize works well for VX/Ace tiles as well as all facesets. I've also used it to scale up animations. The "faster" resize works well for resizing XP tilesets.
Cool! I have made a similar tool here: http://www.kickbackgames.com/mvfu (forum topic: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/48830-mvfu-like-kung-fu-nice-conversion-for-vxace-assets/)

Mine is web-based, and might be a bit faster (it uses a dedicated server to do the processing rather than relying on your own GPU with waifu, which is often a bit slow). I'll try comparing results with RyanBram's tool later on, as our algorithms are sure to differ :)

tati light

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Cool! I have made a similar tool here: http://www.kickbackgames.com/mvfu (forum topic: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/48830-mvfu-like-kung-fu-nice-conversion-for-vxace-assets/)

Mine is web-based, and might be a bit faster (it uses a dedicated server to do the processing rather than relying on your own GPU with waifu, which is often a bit slow). I'll try comparing results with RyanBram's tool later on, as our algorithms are sure to differ :)
I tested your web tool here, and I really like the results. Sure it has some flaws but I can easily fix here manually. Good addition to methods using Ace resources/dlcs. Thanks for sharing your web tool.

jknightandkarr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just thought I'd comment on one thing. On my version anyway, there are 2 versions of Photoshop. Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. I have Photoshop Elements 7.0 and the only part of this tutorial I am able to do is just resize, canvas automatic and the image VERY manual... I have to drag and resize my images to fit. and the filers you recommend, don't seam to be present in my version. Other then just resizing, how can I resize my VXA tilesets for use in MV?  I wanted to use the High Fantasy stuff I bought in MV.

Joe

Ultima2876, I just tried your tool, and that is MUCH MUCH faster and BETTER the my Photoshop Elements was doing!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!

Ragnak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Any update about the resize for icons?

You've made my day with this tutorial. Thank you very much.

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you! There are so many VX Ace tilesets out there I want so badly -(OwO-)

Cosmic Architect

Architect of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Nice work! You saved me a lot of time, I couldn't find a good way to re-size face sprites. Not to mention how efficient it is compared to individually going through each image with paint.net xD (no access to photoshop right now, but I was really hoping to get the rest of the re-sizing I needed tonight out of the way)

Marushia

Neko-chan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Brazilian
Primarily Uses
tHANKSSS FOR THE GUIDEE ^>^ 

Mieze

Maker Freak
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I cant see the Pics.. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with The Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
I have a specialized class on intellectual property this semester (on Patent and Trademarks, Copyrights is next semester). Only had a quick overview of that in previous business law classes. I'll be able to help more people here when it comes to knowing what to do and your rights for intellectual property!
When you wanna write another pedantic post of your views on game dev... but your cousin and aunt have invited you to bowling
"Hey there! Hope you're having a nice day, you are awesome!"

(Of course the hand is awful :kaoswt: )
I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meektot