Resolution 1080p & field of view

White Dragon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hey guys,

I totally love the opportunity in the RPG Maker MV to set the screen resolution to fullscreen 1920x1080 because the texts and graphics look so nice and sharp when viewing in native resolution of my screen (I don't like the stretched graphics resulting from lower resolutions).

My problem is:

By using the default tilesize of 48x48 the maps will be at least 40 tiles in width (1920/48) and 22.5 (1080/48) in height.

Now let's say I don't want the player to see this far, I only want to show a few tiles ahead (as it is also when using the default resolution and stretching to fullscreen). For example I want the player to see only 20 tiles in width and 15 in height and not the rest of the map until he walks there. Seeing 40 tiles ahead makes mazes really laughable e.g. because you would see too many floors around you.

To solve I could:

• Increase the tilesize to e.g. 96x96 (but I don't have tiles of this size and upscaled tiles look ugly in my opinion)
  • Create a "picture" as a border around the field of view so that the player only sees the centre of the map where his hero is. The space around it could e.g. used as a HUD or else, but I'm not totally satisfied whith this either because the HUD would be really big in comparison with the "playing space".
tl;dr:

Want use 1080p but with smaller field of view than 40x22.5 tiles

Anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance!

PS:

Hope you understand my german english :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, your solutions are the only ones possible - because pixel/2D works differently than vector/3D.

You either need to upscale the grid (with the problem of getting the needed resources), or you need to use a show picture to hide the outer areas of the maps.

(you can follow the Blog-Link in my signature, I made a post there explaining the differences and why most people mix up a resolution (like 96dpi) with a screen size (like 640x480)

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
PC-98 often did similar things with pictures / HUDs. You could do a modern interpretation of that

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I would do is make a 1920x1080 picture of darkness and a light around the player. Make it dark outside, or inside a cave, and have the player use a lantern.

It's not a workaround... it's a feature ;)

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I don't know which plugins you're using to set your resolution, but there is a difference between the resolution of the game compared to the resolution of the canvas.

If you're testing it on your PC, the game by default simply stretches the canvas to fill the window if you maximize the window.

Just set the resolution to 20*48 by 15*48 and let the browser/window/device handle the stretching for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordyce

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
(I don't like the stretched graphics resulting from lower resolutions)

This comes back to an issue that we were discussing in this thread, which is RPGMV using billinear upscaling rather than nearest neighbor. While it would only play nice with certain resolutions, it'd keep images looking sharp when scaling up. My game resolution is 960*540 and if we get scaling working better it'll be sharp at 1080p with no image degredation due to upscaling.

Increase the tilesize to e.g. 96x96 (but I don't have tiles of this size and upscaled tiles look ugly in my opinion)

Upscale them properly using nearest neighor and they should look perfect. It's just doubling every pixel.

White Dragon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Thanks for the answers so far, you were most helpful.

I will test all of your ideas :)

greenone1992

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sorry if this is a noobish quesiton, but how do you even increase the viewing resolution to 1920 * 1080...assuming you're okay with the 40 x 23 (minimum) tile maps. Is this something I would have to do with a script?

Thanks!

Jordyce

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sorry if this is a noobish quesiton, but how do you even increase the viewing resolution to 1920 * 1080...assuming you're okay with the 40 x 23 (minimum) tile maps. Is this something I would have to do with a script?

Thanks!
Use the ScreenResolution plugin provided with RPG Maker MV or alternatively Yanfly's Core Engine has that functionality (and more).

greenone1992

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks! Not sure what you mean by Yanfly's core option. But I'll look into it!

Use the ScreenResolution plugin provided with RPG Maker MV or alternatively Yanfly's Core Engine has that functionality (and more).

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't necessarily have to make maps that are 40x23 either, there will be black space around it if it's smaller (think, interiors in GB Pokemon games.)

greenone1992

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm sorry, can someone explain where to find this screen resolution plug in...I don't see it listed under plugins. Maybe I'm missing something. My options are:

AltMenuScreen

AltSaveScreen

Enemy Book

Item Book

SimpleMsgSideView

TitleCommandPosition

WeaponSkill

AlecMachet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You have to install the plugins. Yanfly's plugins are in the javascript plugins forum (I can't link it here because the forum reply box doesn't play nice with the Internet Explorer at my work). Save the plugin to YourProjectFolder\js\plugins and it'll show up in the plugin manager.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry, can someone explain where to find this screen resolution plug in...I don't see it listed under plugins. Maybe I'm missing something. My options are:
Those are only the base Kadokawa plugins. Depending on where you purchased/downloaded it, the other launch plugins are either in the steam dlc folder or to download from an extra link given in your download email.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finally finished my first big game since joining the forums! Please check out Petal Knights! https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/petal-knights-playable-now.117898/
Back home now :cutesmile:

Many thanks to all my fellow game devs. for all the support during this crazy time.

Feeling a bit rough but much better then bein' hospitalized at least.

Now time to get back to the code :D
Added skill ranges, and very basic implementation of scope, with a rule called "empty tile" that simply returns true if the selected tile is empty (has a battler), and false otherwise

This means movement range and attack ranges are all automatically implemented.

More info: https://himeworks.itch.io/grid-battle-system/devlog/167442/devlog-3-basic-skill-range
Stone masons are hard at work creating beautiful sculptures for your games...
When you realize @Kupotepo is a champion among RM Web users, and it all makes sense now:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr