Resolution/graphics questions

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by jaret742, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaret742

jaret742 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have several questions about the resolution and graphics:
    1. I want to make my game's maximum resolution 1080p. I also want an option to choose between different resolutions. Is there a plugin for that?
    2. In standard resolution, everything looks fine. However, in 1080p 16:9, everything is zoomed out and there are black borders on the sides of the map. I know that my map is larger than the horizontal resolution because the map moves when my characters move. The text box is also super wide in 1080p. I suppose this is fine because I want to use character portraits/busts, but the text doesn't even take up a full line. Only in standard definition. Is there a plugin that supports widescreen and removes the black borders?
    3. For parallax maps, if I render them at 1080p, will they be distorted if the player chooses to play the game at a lower resolution?
    4. I want to make my sprites Chrono Trigger size. I also want them to appear larger on the screen than MV's sprites. To make them appear bigger, will I need to use a zoom plugin? Or can I make them bigger than 48*48 pixels?
    HD Res.png Standard Res.PNG

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The black bars and distortion are functions of your display settings. How it appears for you is not the same as how it will appear for someone else, who had a different monitor and different display settings.

I know there are plugins that will let you change the resolution, but I'm not sure they let you change it during the game.

You can make your sprites any size you want. But the active part of an event will still be 48x48, and collision will be based on 48x48. So if you make your sprites larger, they will overlap tiles they shouldn't be allowed to walk on, and other sprites. You will get to a point where it just doesn't look good.

3. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there is not really a miracle solution.
    you must create your resources with very high a resolution, and and allow user to define resolution with the pixi proprety.
    PHP:
    renderer.resolution 2;
    renderer.rootRenderTarget.resolution 2;
    renderer.resize(wh);
    renderer.resize(wh);
    Or create spriteSheets with different resolutions, and develop a script that load the textures that are specifically made for your resolution.
    TexturePacker allow you to do this very easy.
    https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker

You will also have to master javascript to hack rmmv to allow him to manage more resolution.
    It has not been designed for this purpose.

Also take a look in SceneManager
    PHP:
    SceneManager._screenWidth 1600SceneManager._screenHeight 900;
    And also in the package.json

Dont forget to use POWER OF 2 on your textures or spriteSheets , because if you use scale for resize, your textures will blured.
    It how work webGL rendering.
    https://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/WebGL_and_OpenGL_Differences#Non-Power_of_Two_Texture_Support

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Orichalcum+ likes this.
  4. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If your monitor is 1080 then you won't get the black bars when in full screen. If you are windowed then you'll get the bars because your programs at the bottom and the top of the window doesn't allow the game to scale vertically all the way. Press F4 and it should take up the whole screen.

5. Black Mamba

Black Mamba Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    pt-br
    i got the same problem, and qhen i use a plugin to strech it and not zoom out, the game get blurry. =\

6. Superficialking

Superficialking Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you do own a wide screen try using a plug in like Yanfly's, they work like a charm! Of course the higher the resolution the more distorded the game will look. Now the real issue is finding a plug in to propertly display the text box since the text will remain respecting the 624 width text box. I was going to upload a picture but it won't load here, I hope you found the right plug in by now as this thread is kind of old.

7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

Superficialking, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Closing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.