[Resolved!] HTML5 version is 900p when should be 720p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: Resolved! I found that on the computer I was using to test, Windows 10 was defaulting to 125% scaling; I think it's because I was using a 1080p TV. If you have this setting turned on, all RPG Maker MV games will be at 125% their stated size (along with most other things).

To "fix" this, open up your display settings and the option is near the bottom of the page. However, you may want to not fix it, as if you have your screen set to 125% already, it's probably for a reason (text etc. can be quite small on high-res displays if you change it).

Will leave the text below in case anyone googles for this in the future.

==========================

Hoping someone can answer this. I have my game set to 1280x720; when I export the game to a Windows stand-alone build, that's the size at which the window appears onscreen.

However, when I export to HTML5, and open it in my browser, it comes out at a much larger size; I believe this to be 1600x900.

Now, 1600x900 (aka 900p) is the same aspect ratio as 1280x720, so in some way my config settings are being used. However, it's unclear to me what the problem is. This is proving an issue because 900p is too tall; it causes issues on 1080p displays if the user is playing a browser-embedded game.

Does anyone know what the issue is? I'm playing it via itch.io, but the problem isn't with their website as the game runs at 900p even if I just open the HTML5 version locally.

Is there some config value, in a different place, for HTML5 embed size?

Last edited:

LTN Games

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a possible plugin conflict or it's not being set correctly, what plugin are you using to change the resolution of your game?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a possible plugin conflict or it's not being set correctly, what plugin are you using to change the resolution of your game?
Literally the default one that comes with MV's install these days.

I also have a Yanfly one, so I gave that a try - but it gave the same result.

The strange thing is that my title screen image, for example, is 1280 x 720 (like I can see that it is in Photoshop), so the game should definitely be running in 720, and on desktop, it does. Just not in HTML5.

Out of interest I tried setting it to a smaller size and it does get smaller, but that doesn't explain why giving "1280 x 720" comes out at "1600 x 900".

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
does that happen with every browser or only some? It might be a browser-specific setting or reaction.
Especially as that is 125% and you have some settings in browsers and windows that can automatically scale 125% by default.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Try setting the resolution in your package.json as well and add the setting
resizable: false

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks guys, but none of these solutions help. I even noticed this affects my windows EXE version too! I just never noticed before (for reasons I won't go into but suffice to say I'm an idiot).

I just tried this, as I felt I was fighting a bit of a losing battle. Can someone else please do this and tell me your result?
  1. Create a brand new RPG maker project
  2. In this project, go to "plugins" and using the MVCommunityDefault plugin, change the resolution to 1280 x 720
  3. Load the game
  4. Once the window is open, load up Windows' "snipping tool"
  5. Use the snip tool to cut-and-paste your game window, to get a screenshot
  6. Copy-paste this screenshot to Photoshop
  7. Observe: this screenshot is 1600 x 900 resolution
I did it with a totally fresh project, so it can't be something I've done.

EDIT: I've posted this in the bug forum, as given that test above, I'm starting to think it might be a bug - unless anyone can think of a good reason for this:
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/issue-with-mv-resolution.103201/

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Observe: this screenshot is 1600 x 900 resolution
Not an expert for MV, but are you sure it wasn't because your screenshot app "makes up things" like enlarged it to a specific resolution?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I even noticed this affects my windows EXE version too!
<snip>
I did it with a totally fresh project, so it can't be something I've done.
OK, with these two points it's almost guaranteed that it is the automatic windows dpi setting - especially since I didn't see you saying anything about it or changing it in your list of steps above.
Have you checked that and your other display settings?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Managed to fix it!

Not an expert for MV, but are you sure it wasn't because your screenshot app "makes up things" like enlarged it to a specific resolution?
This was my first thought, but wasn't the solution in the end - thanks though!

OK, with these two points it's almost guaranteed that it is the automatic windows dpi setting - especially since I didn't see you saying anything about it or changing it in your list of steps above.
Have you checked that and your other display settings?
It was this in the end (thanks for your suggestions!!). I was on a different computer last night, and hadn't realised. The computer I normally work on is set to 100% scaling, whereas the computer last night was set to 125%. I ended up googling something like "indie game 125%" and found someone who has having the same problem, though not with RPG Maker.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol
"What do you think the best place to visit on this cold days?" "Hell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keyboardjockey