TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
We took inspiration from everywhere directly or indirectly. Taking inspiration is ok I guess. Every artist should have their own signature in their art even they're taking inspiration from other.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Avery, thank you again for making this thread, and more importantly, for not only finding alternatives (which is work!) but actually creating materials to provide alternatives yourself, which is redemptive work. =] And lovely, to boot!

I have posted Ayaween's dragon in the past. I appreciate being able to come here and trust your post. I like that people are being fair and square and following the standards we are trying to follow, respect and uphold - in this case I am assuming you and Ayaween. =] (I have the name down as Ayaveen in my records, so any post by me will be labelled that way from the past.)

Again, thanks.

I have made this list a while ago on a German forum, but I thought it would be useful to have it here as well. If there's any problem with it, please tell me.

10. Ayaween's Dragon

After all those years, Ayaween is not able to give a full credit list and so he does not want anybody to use it anymore.

ReQM21m.png

WallCat

That's Me!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was about to use some world map tiles from Avadan based on a list by GrandmaDeb on her blog a few years ago, but seeing him mentioned in this thread gave me pause. Could someone help me figure out whether or not these tiles are okay to use?

TileE-1.png

Roseredpinball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for posting this, I had no idea! Still, arghhhh, so we can't use the Big Iconset? Ugh, what am I supposed to do now though? I won't use it, but it had such a comprehensive list of icons. I know there are individual iconsets, but what if the iconset I'm using doesn't have a particular type of icon I need? Big Iconset had pretty much everything... I guess I could take several iconsets and paste them into one big one for personal use, but idk how to do that and it seems hard... and rpgmaker only lets you use one iconset at a time, it won't let you switch between iconsets and just... UGHHHH it's not fair! T.T

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roseredpinball : Here's the easy way. Take the Big Icon set, and delete all the icons, but keep the image size the same. Then, move over all the icons you want to use. Since the image size was untouched, you will have all that empty space for all your icons.

Edit: Use GIMP to do what I suggest. It's free. Will take a while to learn to use, but it will do what I suggested in the end.

Roseredpinball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Roseredpinball : Here's the easy way. Take the Big Icon set, and delete all the icons, but keep the image size the same. Then, move over all the icons you want to use. Since the image size was untouched, you will have all that empty space for all your icons.

Edit: Use GIMP to do what I suggest. It's free. Will take a while to learn to use, but it will do what I suggested in the end.

I may just have to, thanks. I have Gimp already installed and I kinda know how to use it lol. Edit: Ah, I did a bit of searching and, for anyone in the same boat as me, I did find an excellent program for combining both individual icons into iconsets and multiple iconsets into one iconset: https://divisionheaven.me/material-list/scripts/icon-and-face-utility/

Last edited:

Roseredpinball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Don't know if this one has been added yet but whatever you do don't download stuff posted by a guy named halfdead the rpg nut on gdunlimited.net. He's posted content from Closet without credit and despite the fact that Closet has explicitly stated NOT to redistribute their materials. Here's a link to one of his posts: http://www.gdunlimited.net/resources/image/4548/face195a and here's a post to the original material on Closet's site: http://eurs.blog65.fc2.com/?tag=【顔】子ども (you may have to scroll down a bit)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So Ben ben's trees are not to be used then?
I'm just confused as I found them on Grandma debs site and they seemed legit to use. Since my games going commercial I'd rather be 100% sure. Not to accuse grandma deb of anything, maybe it was posted before this whole thing got brought to light!
BenBen tree variation edits by Hanzo_zpsf2zat0or.png

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Grandmadeb's been really busy for the last couple of years. I imagine they haven't had time to update their resources. But for now I'd say avoid those trees, or anything posted by that person.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhhh crap I just started using them...well on one map as placeholders anyway. Why is the best stuff always stolen lol.

When people steal work, they're not going to go for low quality stuff usually. This is why you should be careful to make sure you're getting assets from an official source if at all possible. Doing reverse image searches can often help with that,

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With all my past I should feel complimented but I just feel victim and poorer.

LOL Some compliments can break our heart :kaocry:

BenBen and Avadan? Sigh.

@Windows i7 has a great point. It goes for Art of all sorts, if it's too good to be true..

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think GrandmaDeb contacted him about the trees and he claimed that he made them myself,
BUT
It was already years after the tilesets were released and there is always the chance that he just not remembered or admitted or that "only" parts are stolen etc. I would always reference Kaus, who claimed "all the rest of the tiles are 100% my own" while there was still e.g. my bed he stole and claimed as his own. There are so many good trees, seriously.
Why bother with these?

Good trees:
Ace
Celianna
PandaMaru
Venere-Marte #1 #2
http://dot.iku4.com/

MV
PandaMaru
NuraRay
Cyanide

... and many more

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Alexander Hawksmoor I know that after the BenBen thing came to light, GrandmaDeb went through the whole trees thing very thoroughly. She was able to track down which bit of the trees came from where, and who to credit. If you got your trees from her site, then do some hunting and somewhere she lists explicitly who to credit for which tree. For example, tana for one, Mack for another, and so on. They are usable if you do your crediting carefully.

Knowing this is one of the few advantages of having been around a long time and lived through assorted events and crises.

Mooshry

BTS has consumed my very existence help.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And this is why you don't use the slood from Dragon Quest IX in your iconset.

DownwardSpiral

I need help, thanks.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Still gonna use the big Iconset (for now). I was already making my own icons anyway.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How many people actually like action commands? (Which is pressing a button at the right time during an attack to deal more damage.)
It is a curse and a blessing getting better at javascript after each plugin... Now I am considering changing two previous plugins completely, and they're not small plugins either -.-' Not to mention that I'll add more features... This is why I never manage to release a game, I just keep updating everything I've already done :p
Hello! Thank you for visiting my Page! ✅
I have done nothing for my game in the last hours but look and modify my spreadsheets. lmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PsYcHiC_PuSsYcAt