Rules Resource Pack Licensing and Use

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Lunarea, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

We often get questions about our resource packs licenses and general use, and I wanted to take a moment to clear up a few things.

1) We are hard at work on a FAQ, which will cover the basic terms of use for our products, as well as give you a quick at-a-glance comparison of our many packs. It is not a quick process, as there are many questions that pop up. But we will still try to compile our list as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, if you have any questions and want the official answer, please continue to post in the Product discussion section or send me a private message.

2) There is often confusion about how the license is interpreted, so we will be rewriting our licenses to be a lot more clear and specific. New licenses will not cost you anything and will be available to download soon.

In the meantime, here are a few quick need-to-know facts:

- All of our resource packs can be in RPG Maker series and IGM only.

- Some packs have a special license for use in other game-creation software. You can currently find them on our Game Dev Fort site, and they do cost more than the RPG Maker version.

- All licenses are for royalty-free commercial use -- meaning you can sell games and projects created in RPG Maker with credits to the pack authors. You do not need to send any payments or income to the pack authors after your project is generating sales.

- You cannot re-distribute the resource pack and any edited material crated from the resource pack, including the following:

-- Sending it to other people via e-mail, file-sharing service or uploading to a file host

-- Including it inside an unencrypted project -- Yes, we know that some of you prefer to share information and give people access to your eventing/scripting/etc, but please respect our artists and help protect their work.

-- Re-selling the license to another user.

- You must include pack author(s) in your credit roll, either as text inside your project or a read-me accompanying the project.

- The license only grants you the right to use material from resource packs inside a project (i.e. game) and limited promotional use (ex. project-promoting media such as screenshots or videos).

-- You may not use the material for all forms of advertising - such as website building, service or product sales, book/novel writing, etc.

-- You may contact us for special permission to use resource packs outside a project. Not all permissions are granted, but we have had a few cases of users having extra permission in terms of resource pack use.

3) We know that there are a lot of you who want to share your edits and recolors, but cannot do so due to the no-redistribution rule. I am currently working on a way to include your material in the pack downloads, so that everyone who has a copy of the pack will be able to download and use them. I will be making a new thread soon with more details on how you can send your materials and how you can download the new edits and recolors.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's good news about being able to share edits of store packs in the near future with those who have them. I certainly would like to share a few I've done. Will be keeping an eye on this.

3. Athryl

Athryl The Reticent Veteran

First Language:
    English
    More clarity is always welcome! And I am super excited about the sharing of edits.  

4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ". I am currently working on a way to include your material in the pack downloads, so that everyone who has a copy of the pack will be able to download and use them. I will be making a new thread soon with more details on how you can send your materials and how you can download the new edits and recolors."

This is a fantastic feature that will give extra utility and value to the original packs!

Not that it was needed really, the resource packs are really valuable as is, but still the more the better they say!

Fantastic.

Marquise* and AriesFireTiger like this.
  5. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interesting idea, but how would you know if someone had bought a pack?

I have bought some from the forum store, but others came from Steam sales or humble bundles.

Will we have to forward you the invoice email we received?

6. AriesFireTiger

AriesFireTiger Beastmaster IRL :P Member

First Language:
    English
    Who knows?  I have DLC from multiple sources as well

I got one DLC from the store, here, and the rest on Steam during the holidays :p

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's leave it to Lunarea to answer questions like that, instead of giving our own opinions or assumptions. This is what causes a lot of confusion in the first place.

Marquise* and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  8. Lunarea

I'm working on it. And, yes, I'm very much aware that packs can and have been purchased via several different platforms. I'm looking into ways to keep everyone happy and with access to the material. :)

Marquise*, Seriel, cabfe and 2 others like this.
  9. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Agreed.

Sometimes you edit something from the pack and then you end up not using it in your project. Would be a waste if we can't share those unused edits where other could benefit from them.....

10. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    How bout unencrypted via the normal RM way, but has some kind of a personal/other encryption mechanism?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  11. Lunarea

It doesn't have to be encrypted with RM, as long as it is somehow encrypted and helping protect the files. :)

Marquise* and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  12. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    That<s good seeing references upon this Lunarea. Thanks!

13. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If I work on a game together with someone else. Do we both need a license of the same graphic pack or is mine enough? In this case I am redesigning a non-commercial game and I wondered what is to be done here that it could be legally published again.

However it would be interesting to know how this works in commercial games as well, since I am going to collaborate with friends on several RM-Projects and for now I am the only one who acquired the packs from the shop.

14. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    If I remember correctly from the last time this came up, one person holds the right to use the resources, and other members of the team can contribute, but they don't get to use those materials themselves in their own project. So let's say you own a license to the DS+ material. You have a team and want to make a game with the materials. Your team can still help and may even be able to use the materials in the game you are making, so long as you are a part of the project. And they can continue to help with other projects using the materials, as long as you are on them.

But for any project you are not involved with, or if you decide to leave a current project, they can no longer use the materials unless they buy a license themselves.

It might be something for RMW to consider, being able to buy multiple resource packs at a discount, so others on the team can have a copy.

Seriel likes this.
  15. Seriel

Seriel Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Could you include it in an unencrypted project of you only personally send it to people you definetly know own the pack?

16. AceOfAces_Mod

AceOfAces_Mod Engineering to infinity! Veteran

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Is crediting on a companion app (eg. a launcher) count if they are credited on the about screen?

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  17. Lunarea

Ideally, you should both have a copy if you're both using the graphics. Aside from the fact it's supporting the pack artists, it's also simpler to collaborate if you can both independently pick up the work where the other person left off.

Yes.

It needs to be inside the game itself (ex. credit list at the beginning or end of the game) and a read-me file accompanying the project - if you have one. You're welcome to also add it to the companion app, but it needs to be inside the game, too.

Marquise* and Seriel like this.
  18. felsenstern

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is just one point open. In a bigger group, does the person who releases the game finally need to have a license of every pack used inside it too or is it enough for him to refer to the people who actually did the maps?

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  19. Lunarea

The person who releases the game needs to own all the licenses, too. One of the requirements for mapping commissions, for example, is that both parties need to own the pack in order for the commission to continue.

If the group is large or there's a very large amount of resource packs that need to be bought, send us a message. We can try to arrange a group discount. :)

20. felsenstern

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks a lot for the clarification! And of course, I wouldn't let a chance out to flirt with Ashley again ;-).