Rules Resource Pack Licensing and Use

IGotAQuestion

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
The Non-RM section of the Products page no longer exists.

I have seen a few RPG Maker graphic products on Humble Bundle.

According to Humble Bundle (https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/206156508), the DLC graphic packs can be used in engines other than RPG Maker.

If I buy the same product on rpgmakerweb directly, can I still use it on engines other than RPG Maker?

It is unclear what graphic products can and can't be used on engines other than RPG Maker now that the Non-RM section no longer exists.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think they moved all the Non-RM stuff over here: https://gamedevfort.com/

The stuff sold on this site is RM only unless otherwise stated.  So in general, no, you can't use them in other engines.

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi, I'm fairly gifted in pixel art-been at it for i think 8 years maybe now? I can't quite remember haha. But my question is I'm looking to make a few dosh providing entirely custom sprite materials.

If I make a bundle and a set price, what procedures should I take? And how do you see up an account or where to complete transactions?

Right now I'm just working on the odd project here and there and in the meantime I've been struggling to find decent work where I live, so I'm very interested to find out more.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We also have a Classifieds - Offers forum if you'd like to work on a commission basis.

Skurge

Archtross Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You need permission from Enterbrain to even just have your own custom made stuff assorted for use inside the RPG Maker engine? There is so much I still unsure where to go to avoid those kind of infringements. I mean I could go on commissions to a private buyer? Or is that not right?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You do not need Enterbrain's permission to have your own custom made resources.

Yes, you can commission privately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need permission from Enterbrain to even just have your own custom made stuff assorted for use inside the RPG Maker engine?
No, you don't need Enterbrains permission to sell your artwork on your own website.
What I referred to is that you need Degica's permission to sell artwork on this site, because this forum is the official Forum owned by Degica. You can only use this forum as long as you follow the rules that Degica has set for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Someone send me the Bundle Stars link today of a huge RPGMaker Vx Ace Bundle with DLCs abd Game Guru in there;

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/game-makers-mega-bundle/?utm_source=giveahttp://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/game-makers-mega-bundle/

But because I was curious of the catch I went to the shopping cart page and read;

"Important Notice

All products are for non-commercial use only and resale is strictly prohibited."

Now I can understand the resale strictly prohibited over the ownership of those items... (Altought I guess parts we have may be gifted if we have it like for the 4th time!)

But the All products are for non-commercial use only??? Woah! There's goes down the drain many indie makers expectations. Hope it manages with your rules in here if your products are sold there with that in their cart/shopping page.

paulojunior55

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, about that little question.

Can I use a small part of the rpg maker mv trailer, without sound, in the intro of a project made in rpg maker mv?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT
Closed in error, reopening it.

Last edited:

fishley

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I have a question about licensing the RTP. I'm a solo indie developer making an RPG using my own custom-built game engine. I really love the look of the RPG Maker MV assets and so I would absolutely love to use them (mainly images and possibly SFX). How would I go about purchasing a license to use the RPG Maker MV RTP outside of the RPG Maker engine? Is there anyone in particular I could contact?

Thank you!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@fishley There's no way to purchase a license for the RTP to use in another engine. I guess you could contact Support, but I doubt they'll have a different answer.

ChatS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question concerning sound packs DLC licenses from here or from the ones found on steam that we purchase. Be it for RPGMaker Ace, MV etc... Can they be used from Ace to MV or vice-versa if we own both (In fact I own pretty much all versions of RPG Makers) so could I use sounds from any of RPG maker version I own to any other RPG Maker versions I own? Because that's not entirely clear in licences provided here or on steam.

In pretty much all of the sound DLC licences section 5. (no.2) states...

2. The music included in the Product (the "Resource Pack") may be used with any of ENTERBRAIN's game development software (include all related titles of "RPG MAKER Series" or "our products") that retains the Company's rights. User can create, distribute, or sell their original game by using the Resource Pack only if they meet all the following conditions:

No need to display the rest of section 5 to keep this short, but right above in section 1 it usually states this...

I. Introduction

Thank you for purchasing the Resource Pack, "X Soundtrack".
This Resource Pack contains a collection of music by x. This Add-on Pack is compatible with the full version of "RPG MAKER VX, RPG Maker XP, and RPG Maker VX Ace" and can be used with IG Maker to create your own game. You may also use this music with other engines.

note that I replaced the name of the author and the pack with "x" for this example, but otherwise I left this part of the license unchanged! But it's still not clear about using older RPG Maker sound resources with RPG Maker MV even regarding section 5 (no.2). The end part is particularly interesting though which it states "with any other engine".

However to add to this confusion some music packs state this in section 1...

I. Introduction

Thank you for purchasing the Resource Pack, "X Soundtrack".
This Resource Pack contains a collection of music by x. This Add-on Pack is compatible with the full version of "RPG MAKER VX, RPG Maker XP, and RPG Maker VX Ace" and can be used with IG Maker to create your own game.
You may *NOT* use this music with other engines.

But the alternate section 1 of that license version also includes the very same part that other music licenses have in section 5 (no.2) which totally contradicts section 1. (So far I think only one licenses states this in section 1. But still it's quite confusing and all this could be much clearer!)

In short my question is...

Can we use sound DLC we purchased from here or from steam with any RPG maker version as long as the sound resources come from another RPG maker version that we own? But more specifically, can all the sounds be used in a commercial manner as well?

As far as I know since I compared both steam and this store and have the exact same licenses for sound.

I Just want to be sure about this since I have purchased tons of RPG maker ace sound DLC for ACE, but with time I converted my project to MV and although I also collected a good deal of sound pack DLC for MV, I'd love to use some of the sound DLC from ACE since I already purchased licenses to use them.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The licensing file is written or modified from a template by the person who created the resources, if there's a point of contradiction or if it's unclear in some way, the person to ask about the intent is the creator.

ChatS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The licensing file is written or modified from a template by the person who created the resources, if there's a point of contradiction or if it's unclear in some way, the person to ask about the intent is the creator.

It's not that difficult to fill in a clear license. It's far more difficult to hunt down artists to get their approval for commercial use when said official purchased DLC says it's fine for all RPG makers series when the official license can't agree with itself. (Even if it's a simple notepad "copy" "paste" one!)

I really want to encourage RPG Maker artists (Even if I can already do my very own assets in all aspects of the game!) But I'm not sure I'll use any DLC or purchase anymore of them if I get a lawsuit on my hands, is what I'm saying!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Consider that new versions of the engine have been released since some of those resources were made available. The creator couldn't possibly list all of the versions that are going to be released in the future, nor would they be expected to go back and revise the terms of all their old packs to specifically include the newer versions.

I think if a pack listed individual versions, but not the newer ones, but also included the paragraph containing "any of ENTERBRAIN's game development software" you would be safe to use it with the newer versions as well on that basis. "No other engine" refers to things like Unity, Unreal, Gamemaker - engines that are not a part of Enterbrain's suite, rather than referring to other/newer versions of RPG Maker.

ChatS

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Consider that new versions of the engine have been released since some of those resources were made available. The creator couldn't possibly list all of the versions that are going to be released in the future, nor would they be expected to go back and revise the terms of all their old packs to specifically include the newer versions.

I think if a pack listed individual versions, but not the newer ones, but also included the paragraph containing "any of ENTERBRAIN's game development software" you would be safe to use it with the newer versions as well on that basis. "No other engine" refers to things like Unity, Unreal, Gamemaker - engines that are not a part of Enterbrain's suite, rather than referring to other/newer versions of RPG Maker.

I obviously don't expect older content makers to predict the use of their products for future versions of the engine. My issue is more about the contradictory nature of some licenses. In court that would be quite a hassle to deal with. Not only that but some versions of the same licences state that the packs can actually be used with any engine (Unreal, Unity etc. like you mention) and then states just any of ENTERBRAIN's engine which is another contradiction, hence why I posted about this.

It's all fine for non-commercial projects, but for commercial projects and especially projects made and sold in a different country that could become a serious problem to deal with.

Anyway, thank you both for your inputs! I will leave it at that because I don't want to spam the tread with this. But maybe that's something that needs more attention or needs to be revised in the future?

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but since it does have to do with DLC and licensing, I think it should. If it does not, please direct me; thank you. Now, here's my question.

Consider I commission someone to make a map for me and they use paid DLC (FSM, Ancient Dungeons, Fantastic Buildings, etc.) in their creation. As the creator of "said" game, I know that I need to own those paid DLCs, but I remember reading somewhere that everyone working on "said" RPG Maker project needs to own the DLCs, as well. Can someone please explain if this is true, or if it only applies to whoever is actually working in the RM engine?

For instance, what if I commission someone to conduct a soundtrack, or someone to write a script? They aren't personally working on "said" project from the engine, do they still need to own the DLCs, or (really even) the RM itself?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but since it does have to do with DLC and licensing, I think it should. If it does not, please direct me; thank you. Now, here's my question.

Consider I commission someone to make a map for me and they use paid DLC (FSM, Ancient Dungeons, Fantastic Buildings, etc.) in their creation. As the creator of "said" game, I know that I need to own those paid DLCs, but I remember reading somewhere that everyone working on "said" RPG Maker project needs to own the DLCs, as well. Can someone please explain if this is true, or if it only applies to whoever is actually working in the RM engine?

For instance, what if I commission someone to conduct a soundtrack, or someone to write a script? They aren't personally working on "said" project from the engine, do they still need to own the DLCs, or (really even) the RM itself?
I have the same question, but regarding commissioned promotional artwork for a commercial game. Can I send screenshots of the unreleased game to the artist so that they can produce advertising panels and images relating to that game, without them needing to buy every DLC pack that I've used in this game and a copy of the engine? They wouldn't be using anything in the game itself to make the original artwork, but they might need to see the game or screenshots to know what they're basing their image on.

It says above, on page 1, " -- You may not use the material for all forms of advertising - such as website building, service or product sales, book/novel writing, etc." This makes it sound like DLC assets can't be used to make an advert for the game I've made either. Is that right? Does that also apply to screenshots of the game in advertising situations, and for the commissioned artist to see the game in screenshots before it's released? It would be great if this could please be clarified.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol
WE ARE THE BORG. YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE ADDED TO OUR OWN. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
D2R save files are so broken. how was the beta test better then the full release. blizzard's last hope crashed and burned.
they're getting no more chances from me.
Anyone going to talk about Chris Pratt Mario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xCaramelCookiex