GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the same question, but regarding commissioned promotional artwork for a commercial game. Can I send screenshots of the unreleased game to the artist so that they can produce advertising panels and images relating to that game, without them needing to buy every DLC pack that I've used in this game and a copy of the engine? They wouldn't be using anything in the game itself to make the original artwork, but they might need to see the game or screenshots to know what they're basing their image on.

It says above, on page 1, " -- You may not use the material for all forms of advertising - such as website building, service or product sales, book/novel writing, etc." This makes it sound like DLC assets can't be used to make an advert for the game I've made either. Is that right? Does that also apply to screenshots of the game in advertising situations, and for the commissioned artist to see the game in screenshots before it's released? It would be great if this could please be clarified.
Answer below.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but since it does have to do with DLC and licensing, I think it should. If it does not, please direct me; thank you. Now, here's my question.

Consider I commission someone to make a map for me and they use paid DLC (FSM, Ancient Dungeons, Fantastic Buildings, etc.) in their creation. As the creator of "said" game, I know that I need to own those paid DLCs, but I remember reading somewhere that everyone working on "said" RPG Maker project needs to own the DLCs, as well. Can someone please explain if this is true, or if it only applies to whoever is actually working in the RM engine?

For instance, what if I commission someone to conduct a soundtrack, or someone to write a script? They aren't personally working on "said" project from the engine, do they still need to own the DLCs, or (really even) the RM itself?
Obviously both you and your mapper would need to own all the tileset DLC used, but say you're also using music DLC they wouldn't have to own that since they're not working with it, as the mapper will likely be working in their own project and send you the maps.

Basically, everyone who has access to your project file should own the DLCs you have included in it. Usually your writer and musician won't actually be working in your project file, so they wouldn't need to own them.

Edit: Regarding the screenshot question you're having @turbobumblepuppy. It's totally alright to share screenshots that include DLC with your artist (and with your public). What you can't do is share the DLC as is, for example a bust or battler from a DLC, as that would be redistributing it and that's not allowed.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This makes it sound like DLC assets can't be used to make an advert for the game I've made either. Is that right? Does that also apply to screenshots of the game in advertising situations, and for the commissioned artist to see the game in screenshots before it's released?
it was clarified somewhere, but basically the licence is talking about direct use where the resources might be taken out and re-used. It's the same reason why a game using DLC needs to be encrypted, simply so no one can take usable resources out.

screenshots of the gamescreens on the other hand are not "usable resources" and have always been allowed for.

EDIT: ninja'd

hikikomaker2

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
"The resources in Festival of Light: Japanese Resource Pack are created for use in game development only, using RPG Maker MV. Alternatively, you may also use these materials with other RPG Makers, as long as you have a valid and legal license for both engines. You may not use these materials in other game-development software."

"The resources included in the Product (the "Resource Pack") may be used with RPG Maker MV. Alternatively, you may use the Product with any other entry in the RPG Maker series that retains the Company's rights"

What does this mean?

I have RPG Maker MV, MV Tools and a lot of DLCs.
If i buy RPG Maker MZ can i use the RTP, Tools and DLCs of MV without having to buy them all again for MZ ?
Can i use RTP, tools, dlcs from other rpg makers (includind mz) on MV ?

GhostJenson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"The resources in Festival of Light: Japanese Resource Pack are created for use in game development only, using RPG Maker MV. Alternatively, you may also use these materials with other RPG Makers, as long as you have a valid and legal license for both engines. You may not use these materials in other game-development software."

"The resources included in the Product (the "Resource Pack") may be used with RPG Maker MV. Alternatively, you may use the Product with any other entry in the RPG Maker series that retains the Company's rights"

What does this mean?

I have RPG Maker MV, MV Tools and a lot of DLCs.
If i buy RPG Maker MZ can i use the RTP, Tools and DLCs of MV without having to buy them all again for MZ ?
From my understanding, you can, as long as you own the license to whatever RPG Maker whose materials you are using. I think that the difference between DLCs that say "for use in MV/MZ/VXA" etcetera, has to do with the formatting of the tilesets, characters, materials, and so on. For instance, "for use in MV" would be that all of the tilesets and bits are set to a 48x48 pixel size. That being while "for use VXA" would include tilesets and bits for use at 32x32 pixel size.

I'm sure there are some caveats here and there depending on the DLC maker's terms, but for the most part, I think you're good!

You'd probably be best looking into each DLC folder for a "Read Me" file. That'll have any special terms that you may not have seen on the RM DLC, Itch, or Steam page. Anyways, hope I helped a little! :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, as long as you own the maker or dlc they come from, and if neccessary you are responsible for any reformat needed (as the other poster explained tiles for VXA and older need to be resized before they can be used in MV/MZ, and different makers have different requirements for the audio formats and so on.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nesutokung