Resource templates

Discussion in 'RM2k/3 Resources' started by - Aërendyll -, May 21, 2015.

1. - Aërendyll -

- Aërendyll - Noodle arms Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch / Aenese
    As I've been trying to make graphical resources for RM2k3, I figured having templates for it would be a good idea.

I realize there are other templates out there for this particular RPG Maker version, but I find their choice of colours rather grating and some of their rosters hard to work with, so I figured I'd upload my own.

These are all 256 colour files with a lot of pure black entries in their palettes, so you can easily put your own colours in those... provided you're not using MsPaint. (If you want to try using software that's not MsPaint for spriting/pixelart, I recommend getting Aseprite - the older versions of this software are completely free and I personally find Aseprite more intuitive than e.g. Graphics Gale and other pixelart editors I've tried.)

Some of the templates work for several types of graphics, so in their titles I have put all the names of the resource types the template should work for. Example: the BattleCharSet template works for BattleWeapon resources as well, so it's named 2k3_battlecharset-battleweapon.png. I hope that's not confusing!

Credit for use of these templates is completely optional! The only thing I want to request is that you do not use these to put ripped graphics or other illegal resources in your game.

Backdrop (Battlebacks), Frame, Game Over, Title:

Spoiler

Empty canvas:

2k3_backdrop-frame-gameover-title.png

With 16x16 roster:

2k3_backdrop-frame-gameover-title_roster.png

Battle, Battle2 (battle animations):

Spoiler

Battle:

2k3_battle.png

Battle2:

2k3_battle2.png

Battlecharset, Battleweapon:

Spoiler

2k3_battlecharset-battleweapon.png

Charset:

Spoiler

2k3_charset.png

This one has arrows for which direction each frame is supposed to face, because I always forget which direction goes where.

Chipset:

Spoiler

2k3_chipset.png

The animated tiles all have different symbols for them so it's logical how they work. The A tile turns into the B, C, D tiles (and then loops back to A), the 1 tile turns into 2, 3 ,4, etc.

Faceset:

Spoiler

2k3_faceset.png

System:

Spoiler

2k3_system.png

System2:

Spoiler

2k3_system2.png

I don't really have files explaining how to use these templates, though this can be found in the RM2k3 manual. Just look at the Material References chapter - it should have all the information you need! If this doesn't help you out, however, feel free to ask for assistance.

P.s.: I put this topic in the General Resources section as there is no RPG Maker 2003 resources board as of now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  2. Zanfall

Zanfall Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These templates are excellent and cause less eye strain than the ones I was using before. I really like how you marked out everything like autotile shapes and arrows on Charsets.

Thanks.

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  3. - Aërendyll -

- Aërendyll - Noodle arms Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch / Aenese
    I'm glad you found the autotile shapes and charset arrows useful! I tried my best to make these templates intuitive to use, so if you run into any trouble when it comes to their ease of use, I'm all ears for suggestions! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  4. Rave

Rave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Nice chipset template. I'm not sure which one is better, the one you made, or the one I've made for the RMN. It's that good, even though it uses "simplistic tile grid" pattern that annoys me so much as you need to spend much time clearing it up. As if most modern graphic programs didn't have grid option. Notice that the image on the submission page isn't the template, it's example of what annoys me. You have to download template via the button below.

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Rave, if you'd like to share your template here as well you're more than welcome too, but it's rude to do so by hijacking someone else's resource thread just to put their work down. It's a very good way to bias people against your work, which would be a shame. I'll assume that you didn't realize you were thread hijacking since, by being pinned, it looks like a group run thread but it is not.

Now, as an artist and not a moderator I'd like to point out that the grid style isn't that bad to clear up after finishing, most pixel programs these days allow you to select all of one color at once. All you have to do is avoid using the grid colors in the artwork you keep. I like your style better too, but the other one is valid, just not good for the way you work. No harm in having both.