Resources for Non-Commercial and Commercial Use

Discussion in 'General Resources' started by Shinma, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Apoc

Apoc Afk Status Veteran

First Language:
    English
  2. Gator Cake

Gator Cake Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    With Google translate the Terms of Use make no sense at all on that CLOSET site in Japanese. It sounds like it's saying you have to register your RPG Maker on their site and you can't use most of the materials there for XV Ace. It's very difficult to navigate on that site but they have really good facesets and such. XD

I want to use this faceset http://eurs.blog65.fc2.com/blog-entry-887.html

I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to use it with RPG Maker XV Ace or if I have to register my RPG Maker with them in order to use it. Can anyone help me out with that?

Now that I look at it... the picture is just a redone version of one of that actors in the VX Ace.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  3. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I deeply apologize for the delays in updating the thread. I had some family matters that kept me busy the past couple of months. I will be back full time in July, but will try to update the thread VERY soon. =^.^=

Added:

Metalraptor's (Palsa) Resources

Diretooth's werewolf added (I double checked the link for Timmah's animations and it seemed fine, maybe it was just down the day you checked?)

Updated Apoc's Faceset link.

Gator Cake, I had someone translate the terms (without using Google Translate) for their site, so you should be safe.

Removed:

Vulture resources (by request).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Stridah

Stridah The People's Champion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It seems that Hanzo;s resources from valkaryie stories are now free to use commercially along with the inquisitors tiles sets...can anyone confirm?

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interesting.  Where did you get that info?

6. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really now?  I'd like to know aswell.

7. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have researched for the past few minutes and see no indication that they have been released for free commercial usage.

8. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Ditto on the research. And to add to this, here are some things to consider:

Hanzo's Tiles:

I would definitely wait until there is actual proof (Hanzo saying this himself:?). VX.net still seems to indicate otherwise:

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=34161

no reposting, use with credit - non-commercial use only

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=47180

> Don't comment saying "ZOMG, You draw this? This is wonderful you are a god" ... I didn't draw them, XP Tiles, Some Other's tiles mixed together, recolored, edited... But Some of them will be sprited from scratch by me... and Pine Hates noob who thinks I made this from scratch so stop it...

That could be a big one. It's not clear here what "other's tiles" means. I realize some were edits from XP (do you need XP to use these?) and Mack, but was that it? Did he use other people's tiles as a base? If so, they should have been credited, and their terms would also need to be considered.

Inquisitor's Tiles:

Again, I'd get actual proof before making commercial games out of this. I haven't had any luck finding any sites which states this. Also, even if you were to get commercial use for these tiles, becareful which format you are using. Inquisitor made his tiles for XP, but somebody else formatted them for VX. However:

http://www.rpg-palace.com/categories/game-maker-s-guild/resource-discussion/inquisitor-tilesets-vx

Inquisitor makes a post about the VX format of his tiles:

Nice work but there seems to be a lot of tiles in there that aren't mine?
    I see you've made some edits of the graphics, for the opening or doors and dim lanterns for example. I've noted that for some reason you'd added in a lot of extra colours, so obviously you didn't pixel them but they ework at any rate. The chests and cupboard door opening characterset alone has a whopping 1192 colours on it. [​IMG]

Anyway, nice job! [​IMG]

So even if he were to grant permission for his XP tiles, you'd still have to contact the person behind the VX format and see if they could also be used, since there are tiles that Inquisitor doesn't claim.

Shinma likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    On Hanzo's tiles:

Some I recognise as being Benben's, some are by COAD, there's a tree by alisa-tan and probably there are others as well that I don't recognise.  On Benben's, some have been edited, but others are so close that they might not be edits at all.

A lot are straight from XP with only re-colouring, and I imagine that you would need to own XP to use them.  Other XP tiles are more heavily edited.  

Long story short, this is a nightmare set of tiles to use in a commercial game.

Shinma likes this.
  10. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it best to continue erring on the side of caution and not add them to this list. However, thanks for suggesting, Stridah.

11. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the great list! However:

This is NOT free for commercial use -- it states CC BY NC SA.

12. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, Tommy. Thanks for the heads up, but please see the bottom of his first post which states:

"Disclaimer: Anything displayed here is customized like my doors, franked like my glass chest, or made from scratch like the pool table by me, Kalez. I do not care how they are used as long as credit is given. No linking to these images from another site / hotlinking!"

Also, I had a PM about it with him prior to linking, and he agreed.

I appreciate you looking out for me and the artists, though!  :rock-left:   :guffaw:   :rock-right:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  13. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @shinma - he still made it licensed by CC BY-NC-SA though which clearly states NON-COMMERCIAL USE, so even if he says so, as long as it is licensed by that, you still cannot use it for commercial use. If he do want it to be available for commercial usage, he will need to change the license that governs them...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  14. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will double check with him and see if he would like to remove it from the thread, or from his post. Thx!

15. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Veteran

First Language:
    English
  16. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to clear up something: The sprites that I've made, except for the Xaos-Wolf sprite and any non-rpg maker sprites, are free to use. This includes the Werewolf Multi sprites (Which have multiple colors) and the Game Over Screens (Most of which are edited from the original Game Over screen from VXA) are free to use in commercial and non-commercial.

This is the link to the gallery in which the free-to-use sprites and such are available.

diretooth.deviantart.com/gallery/48856008

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
  18. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Engr. Adiktuzmiko, it is possible to have something under multiple licenses, even conflicting ones. In those cases you just follow the one that works best for you. Having his permission to use in a CC-By manner does count regardless of the license elsewhere. It'd just be better for all involved if he were very clear on his threads and posts and had all those licenses match.

19. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I see... but then that makes things quite confusing... legalities are such a...

PS: Oh well, multi-licenses yeah, though I normally see that on a case to case basis or like he presents all of the licenses on a clear list then you get to choose which one you'd be using... not to say that when I normally see it, it's like you have a free license and a paid one...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  20. Tsukitsune

Tsukitsune Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Anyone know if Hypersnake and Benben tiles can be used for commercial?  It's hard to find the tiles yet alone the terms.  They both have deviantart accounts but I can't exactly get ahold of them.