Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Hello dear Degica.

I got a question for you guys.

Me and my friend are currently working on an RPG Maker MV project based on some tiles we call "Semi-Parallax".
These semi-Parallax tiles are basicly remade / modified RPG Maker XP tiles with "modules" included to make a difference in structure.

And we are now wondering if we could sell the game when it's finished and include them tiles for them who buys them to use in their own projects?
I think many many many would appreciate such tilesets we're currently working with due to that many love parallax but does not know how to use ordinary parallax mapping.

See the picture below as an example of the maps that can be made with our "Semi-Parallax" tileset for leaf-forests.

I would be happy to get a reply as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Semi-Parallax.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As long as you credit the makers of the graphics and let it be know they are edits of the original work, I believe you may use them in your game.

As they ARE Degicas works, and are to be used with RPG maker.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
As long as you credit the makers of the graphics and let it be know they are edits of the original work, I believe you may use them in your game.

As they ARE Degicas works, and are to be used with RPG maker.
Of course, but that was not the point here.

What i meant was that we are currently working on an project which will include the tiles we have modified so hard that not even Degica can say that they are their orininal tileset.
We have changed so much in the original tileset, or should i say that we have them as a base for our new "Semi-Parallax" tileset that there's only the basic sprites used and modified to be adaptable for RPG Maker MV.

As you might see theres a mix of XP and MV in the tileset which makes them very unique and easy to work with in RPG Maker MV, and they are made to blend in very good as well as the original XP tiles are so diffuse in comparance to the MV tileset.

Sorry for my crappy Swenglish. ;)

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Exactly, they are edits.

credit accordingly lol

regardless of HOW edited they are, they started off as RPM XP resources.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As skunk said it doesn't matter how much you edited the resources, they will count as edits of the XP-RTP and need to follow the EULA/Licences as such.

And that is basically that you need to own both makers (the maker where the RTP comes from and the maker where it is used in). But that's it, as long as you own both makers you can use any RTP in your game, no matter if commercial or not.

However, this is for the RTP only - in case of shop resources there are additional restrictions based on which resource and where purchased.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
As skunk said it doesn't matter how much you edited the resources, they will count as edits of the XP-RTP and need to follow the EULA/Licences as such.

And that is basically that you need to own both makers (the maker where the RTP comes from and the maker where it is used in). But that's it, as long as you own both makers you can use any RTP in your game, no matter if commercial or not.

However, this is for the RTP only - in case of shop resources there are additional restrictions based on which resource and where purchased.
So If I own rpgmaker xp I can sell the game and include the modules I created?

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes... lol

Now without us informing ahead of time, how would you go about supplying proof of purchase?

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Yes... lol

Now without us informing ahead of time, how would you go about supplying proof of purchase?
W

When the times come and we will sell the game I will provide Degica with the proof that I own XP.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I'm not even sure if that's the best place for it, but yeah, it's going there.

At any rate, I think something being missed in your question is that you are asking if you can sell the tiles for others to use in their own games, as an addition to the game you are selling. And that, I don't believe you can do, though hopefully someone with more official knowledge can chime in.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I'm not even sure if that's the best place for it, but yeah, it's going there.

At any rate, I think something being missed in your question is that you are asking if you can sell the tiles for others to use in their own games, as an addition to the game you are selling. And that, I don't believe you can do, though hopefully someone with more official knowledge can chime in.

So, not even you are sure where this thread shall be. Then how can I be sure where I shall post it?

No, we will not sell the tiles. Selling tiles are forbidden :/ We want to include the tiles modules with the game for people who buy the game.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
May I rebut?

I think what the mods are wondering is this.

From the way you worded your post it seems you want to...

A: allow people to play your game WITH the moded tiles (which is ok)

B: sell the tiles as a set on their own. (which apparently is not)

Are we missing something? It really shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer unless there is some kind of lack of information on our part, or a global misunderstanding of the intention behind your post :p

So technically this is a two part question being asked in a forum focused on one aspect of the question.

@mlogan does that sound about right to you?

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, not even you are sure where this thread shall be. Then how can I be sure where I shall post it?

Sometimes, some topics are a bit of a gray area - meaning it could be rationalized that it could go more than one place. For example, I debated putting this in commercial discussion as well. However, it absolutely does not go in General Resources, where you posted, which is for sharing resources you made that can work in multiple engines.

@Skunk No, I think what he is saying is selling the game and including the tiles as a bonus of sorts, not selling the tiles as a pack individually. However, it comes down to the same thing, I believe - including the tiles for use by others and profiting in some way (the sale of the game) would be seen as selling the tiles, which I do not believe is allowed.

@Andar is much more knowledgeable about the legal aspects so perhaps he or @Lunarea can chime in at some point.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
"Sometimes, some topics are a bit of a gray area - meaning it could be rationalized that it could go more than one place. For example, I debated putting this in commercial discussion as well. However, it absolutely does not go in General Resources, where you posted, which is for sharing resources you made that can work in multiple engines."

Alright, will think of that next time. But what about my question?

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I am confused, based on this post where they OP is asking how to sell resources.

Sorry if I am adding to the confusion...

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I answered your question to the best of my knowledge and suggested that you wait until someone with a bit more knowledge of the legal aspect could chime in.

However, an alternative would be to sell the game and release the tiles separately - for example, in a topic here on the forums. Separating it that way will make it clear you are not making any sort of profit off of them.

edit: Ahh, I see Skunk. However, for now I'm going to assume the two are not directly related, as in that topic he talks as if the tiles have not been made yet.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I answered your question to the best of my knowledge and suggested that you wait until someone with a bit more knowledge of the legal aspect could chime in.

However, an alternative would be to sell the game and release the tiles separately - for example, in a topic here on the forums. Separating it that way will make it clear you are not making any sort of profit off of them.
Ok, first of all, there is no way to share all my tiles here. I have over 3000 modules with 1000 tiles. So, not possible. But I just have to wait then.

If you have less then that you can't really create a good game with variation.

Skunk

Melody Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Slavic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunate that is based 100% on opinion lol

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The EULA for XP states:

Licensee shall not reverse engineer, de-compile, or disassemble the RTP SOFTWARE. Further, Licensee shall not sell, distribute, assign, lease, sublicense, encumber, or otherwise transfer the RTP SOFTWARE and/or its data without any prior written consent of ENTERBRAIN.

So, no, you cannot in anyway sell tiles that are edits of XP without getting direct permission. I'm sure MV EULA is the same, though I do not have time to look it up right now.

Yes, you could distribute them for free here if you really wanted. You could package them in a zip and use screenshots in the topic.

Crowndemon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
The EULA for XP states:

So, no, you cannot in anyway sell tiles that are edits of XP without getting direct permission. I'm sure MV EULA is the same, though I do not have time to look it up right now.

Yes, you could distribute them for free here if you really wanted. You could package them in a zip and use screenshots in the topic.

We are not going to sell the tiles. We want to sell a game with the rtp included. a quite nice game if you ask me. And I hope someone from the team show up and can answer this soon :)

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
No, you would not be able to do that.

It doesn't matter that you're not selling the tiles/edits directly, it's a commercial transaction -- which means you can't sell, re-distribute, sub-license or transfer the RTP material along with it.

In addition, it looks like an attempt to bend the rules and profit from selling the tiles without EB's permission - which is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:
Ami
What do you think about the Wood Bridge inside of Volcano?
Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khevin