ReStaff August 2015

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Caz, Aug 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Banquo - Oh, I fully understand. Your secret is safe with me. Any chance of some Brahmin, I mean two-headed cows, in the future? :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
    Banquo likes this.
  2. Banquo

Banquo scoundrel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For next ReStaff I'll look into adding more stuff for the Vau... I mean for the Fallout Shelter, especially some character sprites.

After that, well stuff for the outside, and among other things I had this cool and unique idea of multiple headed cows - Yes, I'll give it a try.

The Stranger likes this.
  3. Fomar0153

Fomar0153 All wrapped up for winter. Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Correct put the border in faces.
    I know that feeling, mostly I'm looking forward to next RM as then scripting begins anew.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  4. Valkyriet

Valkyriet Pocket Panda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To be honest, I'm not completely sure >.< It's fully pixelated, and done from scratch, so it might definitely look out of place with more than one art style. However, maybe (just maybe) it might fit with some of Leila's resources?

In general though, there's some bright colors on him, so I'm thinking a cutesy/colorful surrounding would agree with him :3

Forgot to mention it, but he can also play the part of the Furryland Sheriff, hoho.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  5. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh right. Yeah, I see it fitting in with those tiles. I like the gothic-looking characters in your resource thread. Nice style and good work overall.

Valkyriet likes this.
  6. Valkyriet

First Language:
    English
    That's really sweet of you to say >3< Every little bit of feedback encourages me to keep working; I'm sure it's the same with any other aspiring individual. Here's hoping I can improve and make better sprites with time :rock-left:

The Stranger and Matseb2611 like this.
  7. DesperateMeasurez

DesperateMeasurez Darren Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks very much everyone!

@ksjp17: Yeah, I'd say that description you first left is exactly what I was shooting for. I'm glad it was able to translate like that. Thank you!

@hiddenone: Thank you very much! Sure, I think a haunted house would be a fine setting for it. Especially with some trickster ghosts with a penchant for causing trouble about.

@MsLittlefish: Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the Oboe is panned to the right. I didn't have much trouble hearing it, but honestly it's probably because I listened to the piece so many times my ears have become accustomed to it, so it's hard to obtain a certain level of objectivity at times. So I definitely appreciate the second pair of ears! Once I clear some things off my plate, I'll go back in and see if I can make it sit in there a little better against that bass.

@Golfhacker: I do love working with piano. It's such a versatile instrument. And pairing it with the vocals makes it feel so haunting and melancholy. I'm glad you liked it! Many thanks!

@Matseb: Thank you! I'm sure by now everyone here knows of my love for dark music. I definitely share your feeling of reflection in there. Everyone knows the feeling of their own Dark Passenger playing with them and tempting them at some point in their lives. Tame the beast!

I hope I didn't forget anyone! Again, thanks so much for the feedback guys and gals!

AwesomeCool and Matseb2611 like this.
  8. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Now that I'm out of IGMC mode, do the musicians want some feedback from me later?

9. BeardBro

BeardBro I think this line's mostly filler. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't be opposed. This was my first shot at a soundtrack, so I'm curious where I can improve for next time.

10. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

@Graphics:
    Avery
    Gotta love that RTP styled tent, the RTP one looks totally obsolete now. Reminds me about those ones in Suikoden 2, would be cool to have in future a variation with a banner or decorated with war stuff, maybe for an army or something like that. The maid, the portraits and the tree are in a perfect RTP style aswell, good idea making a horse portrait, RTP styled portraits of animals are always an useful addition, maybe a warhorse portrait would be another very nice thing to see in future. That huge key is perfect if I'll ever decide to use big icons and can be easily recoloured or edited to add more variations. The girls are pretty cute aswell and they match perfectly with slimmm sprites. Great job Avery.

Banquo
    I had a lot of fun using your tiles in that map, they perfectly fit with Vexed's pack, you did a superb job there. We are desperately in need of more post-apocalyptic tiles and they look amazing in this style, I always found this setting to be particularly fascinating (maybe because I like Fallout). The robot looks pretty cool aswell and it's pretty easy to edit^^ Great job Banquo, you have some amazing skills. More post-apocalyptic tiles and more robots would be superappreciated by everyone.

McazzenbotGreat to see you made add-ons for the pub, you really hit the nail with the Irish style. I like what you did with the walls and the green sign, would be cool if you would make some interiors too of it in future. I'm gonna rename it McDalphen because green suits me better, ahahahahah. Great job Mcazzenbot.

Hiddenone
    Thanks a lot for making the centaur sprite in DS style, it's perfect (and it's something that I desperately needed), Polo the Centaur is one of my old characters and I really wanted a centaur sprite in DS style, now I can finally use him for something.

Your animal sprites in RTP style are amazing as always, more animals and stuff like this would be great to see.

Matseb2611

Great stuff as always Matseb, I'm sad that you won't contribuite anymore, your materials are always very useful. Great ideas with the screens templates, we can add everything we want inside them and this makes them very useful. The boogeyman sprite is very nice too, it's great that you made him taller and more imposing, he can totally be a boss when combined with Thalzon's battler. The Monster lairs are very nice (and great for world maps) and the HUD is pretty useful too, you added basically every button out there and made them easy to edit. Awesome idea with the Matrix styled digital fogs. Thanks a lot for all your great contributions and best of luck with your projects

Nanokan
    Your overworld tiles are always amazing, I never liked world maps in rm but your stuff is so awesome that I'm slowly changing my mind. Gotta love the ice castles, they're my favourites. Great job.

Palladinthug
    Pixelated balloons, they're perfect for Vexed's pack or for the DS ones, they look really neat ingame. Great job palladin. Would be nice to see more balloons with different emotions aswell in future.

Pine
    Very good idea making dogs sprites of different breeds, this will add a lot of variation in games. More dog breeds are more than welcome here (I'm sure Caz would love the idea aswell). Great job Pine.

Slimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    The princesses are amazing, my favourite is the german one, gotta love how you made the clothes match with the colours of the flags, that's brilliant. I personally would love to see an italian one in future if you want (or maybe of different nationalities). Thanks a lot for adding also a more snowy variation of the Snow Queen, that's certainly useful. Great job slimmm.

Thalzon
    OMG the Boogeyman and the Monster under the bed, ahahahaahahah. Awesome ideas there, more battlers are always what we need, if you will do some sideview ones aswell in future I personally would appreciate it a lot (and I'm sure other users will too). Awesome stuff as always.

Valkyriet
    That's amazing and pretty cute, good idea and execution, reminds me about The Cat in the Hat but he also has that Alice In Wonderland feeling into him. The bed is pretty cool too, more stuff like this would be awesome.

@Music:
    DesperateMeasurez
    My Dark Passenger
    I'm a fan of Dexter aswell so I saw what you did there, ahahahah.
    That's amazing and fits so dayum well for a troubled hero with a double personality, or maybe a villain that isn't completely evil but has some interior struggles, you can feel the evil vibes through the piano. This is a theme that sorta reminds me about Johan Liebert aswell (the brilliant antagonist in the anime Monster and the best anime villain ever to me), he's a nice and pleasant person from the outside but inside he's a real monster. Awesome track though, this will certainly be used.

Macatlas
    Pandora's Box
    Pretty calm and sorta twisted aswell, fits for a puzzle minigame like you suggested, reminds me about Fez.
    Pebbled Roads
    This one sounds a bit ambiguous and misterious, reminds me about Braid in some way and I dunno why.
    Quiet Revelations
    Very calm and relaxing, it's perfect for a logic puzzle, this one reminds me about Mist.

Overall great tracks, they're certainly useful.

Ms Littlefish
    Town With No Name
    Pretty versatile, can fit for both small towns and big cities and with multiple settings aswell, I tried it with both a fantasy and modern city and seems to fit very well in both.

Town With No Name (Piano Version)
    This version sounds more melancholic and sad to me, it's perfect even for flashbacks and\or sad moments or maybe death scenes, piano tracks are always your best work if you ask me.

Great job on both the tracks, Miss Mrs Ms Littlefish.

@Scripts:
    Fomar
    Face Border
    Fomar is back! That's a very good idea and makes the facesets in the message window look wayyyyy better. Great job.

Jackus
    Variable Event ID
    That's pretty useful especially if you use a lot of events in a map and you don't want to select them all to keep track
    of all the IDs.

Common Event on Load
    That might be very useful especially if you want to unlock something at the end of the game, reload the same savefile and finally unlock it. Good idea and execution.
    ~
    What I really would like to see in future, if you guys want (this is especially for Thalzon if he wants to do it).

More sideview battlers~
    Because there aren't a lot of them, seriously, I'm using Thalzon's awesome stuff but most are frontal sadly, so it would be truly truly (TRULY) amazing to be able to have more sideview battlers. Maybe it's just me being a bit sick of seeing frontal Battle Systems everywhere, I would like to see (and possibly use aswell) Yami's Simphony or Theo's BS in more rm games, but we need more sideview monsters for that.

It would be amazing to have them, if Thalzon or someone else wants to do it, I would be grateful forever.

This isn't a request btw, just a suggestion since sideview battle systems are almost never used and this makes me sad.

Overall great job everyone! This Restaff is pretty big and with a lot of very nice stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  11. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback, Dalph. Although I'm not contributing to ReStaff anymore, I could always put up side-view battlers on my resource thread every now and again, if animated ones are the ones you're thinking of. I've got loads of them on there already and more will be added with time. :)

DesperateMeasurez, Susan and Dalph like this.
  12. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Thanks! I'm not sure really about just how much variety on dog breeds is there, so adding three more to the list seems logical to me. I hope when I play VX/Ace games we get to see more than just one dog type.

GolfHacker and Dalph like this.
  13. sapiboong

sapiboong Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    I really really love the pug, Pine. 

He's just so fuc*ing adorable. Good job  :rwink:

14. winningedge101

winningedge101 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    These are awesome thanks!

15. Valkyriet

First Language:
    English
    @Pine

Would love to see some alaskan malamutes someday. And other big furry fluffy dogs as well. They'd make for excellent security in castles, for a change, or in an animal town.

Dalph likes this.
  16. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Probably going to do many more dog breeds on MV given the larger grid.

17. Valkyriet

First Language:
    English
    @ Pine

Looking forward to it!

@ Everyone else

Small update guys : If you're planning on using the Restaff resources in my folder, please make sure you credit Gaiaonline as well :rwink: They provided valuable reference material so they deserve credit as well. Also, it's non-commercial only for now ;3

Dalph likes this.
  18. DesperateMeasurez

DesperateMeasurez Darren Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Haha, a fellow fan of Dexter. Then I'm absolutely certain you knew where I was coming from! There is some amazing music in that show as well. I'm not familiar with Johan Liebert, but I'll certainly have to look into him now. Many thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed.

Haha, for my part, you really don't need to ask, man. Feel free to speak your mind about anything I make. I'm always open to other opinions. I may not actually make the changes suggested if I disagree, but at the very least it gives me another set of ears and another perspective. That is always worth a lot!

In this particular case, I think Ms.Littlefish's comments were right on the dot. Her fresh take on something I had listened to a hundred times made me realized a couple changes were in order. So I went back in and reworked that bass and oboe a little before releasing it in my resource thread. I hope it's a bit better now!

Thanks so much everyone!

Dalph likes this.
  19. ArcheoFox

ArcheoFox Novice Veteran

First Language:
    French
    One more time a beautiful work, thank you all!

20. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Musicy feedbacky time, I've left out Ms Littlefish because I've already given her feedback separately:

DesperateMeasurez:

I really like this track but at the same time I feel you could have gone a lot further with it.  I feel it takes too long to change, at 1 minute in I would say is the latest where you could change the backing rhythm as that's the main source of repetition.  My suggestion would be changing it to a pulsing staccato with the intention of building suspense.  Then once that suspense is build you could have your motif come back full force with the backing of strings and maybe even some percussion if you were feeling particularly bold.  So yeah, good piece but it has the potential to be a lot more!

Macatlas:

Before I start, I'd recommend you put your files in ogg format in the future, it's the ideal format for rm at the moment since it 1. Keeps the file size down and 2. Allows you to use loop points in audacity which then work with rm.
    Pandora's Box:  Seems like it'd be an ME for an odd music box of some kind, it's short and has a nice quirky synth sound.  The problem is that I'm really not sure what context you could use it in.

Pebbled Roads: You do use some very interesting synths in your tracks, I'd be genuinely curious to know what you use, particularly if it turns out to be the same Native Instruments stuff I use.  This track seems decent enough but I feel like it doesn't really go anywhere, it then cuts off at 1.30 and I'm left wondering what you were trying to accomplish.

Quiet Revelations: This one is a similar case as the last one, nice synth sounds but what are you aiming for with it?  

Overall I'd recommend you look into seeing what you want to do with your tracks, at the moment you're using good ideas but you aren't taking these ideas to their fullest extent, your production quality is solid though.
    If you have anymore questions or need something validated, please feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to help :)

Suggestions for future Restaffs:

My main suggestions would be different styled battlers whether they be front or side and to have more environmental decorative tiles that can add realism to an area.  E.g. Different types of grass, insects, particle effects, more kinds of paths, any critters that haven't been covered yet.  I would also love to see the return of large-scale collaborations based upon a theme if you all have time for it :)