ReStaff June 2015

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Caz, Jun 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

Per usual:
    Information about Commercial usage can be found here.
    If you want to be a Guest Contributor, go here!

We are always open to guest contributions and would love to
    see your work if you want to contribute, so please don't be
    shy! You can shoot me a PM with any questions
    regarding becoming a Guest!

This time, I thought I'd tweak the way we present
    assets before you download to trial some new things!
    Tell me what you guys think, and whether it should go
    back to the way it was before!

Our themes this month were Food and My Favourite Things.
    Everyone turned in some really amazing stuff, and showed off a lot of what they took interest in!
    Some took the latter theme literally in the most amazing way possible though.
    *cough* Thalzon *cough*
    (yes that is a Schnitzel with noodles monster..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD RESTAFF JUNE 2015

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I found Paladinthug's humanoid beasts to be the most interesting, graphics wise. I don't think I've ever seen that much of demi-human characters for RM, specially not VX. So it's a nice thing that adds variety.

I like that the our Lord, the Flying Spagetti Monster is finally part of RM.

Deceius and Bonkers like this.
  3. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Loved all the little animals <3

4. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Just a quick response while I still browse through and listen to the music: hiddenone, those ducks and squirrels are so cute :)

hiddenone likes this.
  5. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Hello there

as I didn't had the time to create anything in the last few months and have a new pc, I'm trying to get back to creating ...stuffs! And so I thought I'm going to download some delicious Restaff to spice up my (now again) standard RPG Maker Resources.

However, I ... wasn't happy about seeing you're uploading the files to mediafire. While it's a quite convenient uploader for users, it's a mess for downloaders... With a bad feeling I hit the Downloadbutton, and while I was choosing a place to download it to,

it opened another tab with nasty pictures of half naked girls on "iv6zz. hotdate.kitefight.science/", which I only notices after I was coming back to my browser from chosing a download place.

Dudes. Please. No.

I adore your work, I love the RPG Maker, I really love what you're doing with all the recoloring and creating new resources but this is... I mean really. Please get another uploader, like google drive, dropbox,  or, even even better, update the ReStaff-Resources on Steam, as they're pretty old now, like from 2012 'n stuff.

I hope I didn't catch interwebsaids from those... "beautiful" ladies that tried to scam me.

This is a real turnoff. Nomatter how good the resources may be, I'm going to delete the .rar file again, as I'm not sure if this is really the stuff I wanted to download and if the files where unmanipulated.

sorry.

:/

djbeardo likes this.
  6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    are you sure that you don't have any malware?

7. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Hellu

yes, I'm quite sure I don't had malware until I've downloaded something from mediafire.

Mediafire does this since years, and that's why I grew very suspicious and careful with that website.

As I'm using adblock like many others, it's probably how they handle users wit adblock now: opening other tabs. Other sites on the interwebs are doing quite the same in the last few years, and it's getting more and more, due to adblockers, as no one wanted to see scammy or obscene ads anymore.

so...

it's mediafire. I understand they have to get money and I believe if you're registered there as a user, you won't show your uploaders ads, but still.

Nah. 

8. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    After checking in anonymous mode, there is no issue even if you download it and it redirects you to the lazada store. No malware/virus/whatsoever and I even did a check with malwarebytes, antispyware and microsoft security essentials.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
    Hyaziha likes this.
  9. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    I also use adblock and had never any issues with mediafire.

10. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    >You download it and it redirects you

that's bad enough for my taste.

>lazada store

Don't know about this website. After googling it, it seems like a normal online store... from outside my country. The website with ze nekkits was written in german language, so the explaination here is probably randomly chosen, location/language related content after clicking the download button.

Isn't there a way we could have a paid dropbox uploader? I guess as a community project this wouldn't be much if some people gather some munies via paypal... but as this is the official forums (yes?) why enterbrain doesn't offer own space for the restaff project? >:I

Another thing would be google drive. 15gig on normal accounts, for free. That's a plenny of space for 20-60mb restaff files!

It's a mediafire issue.

great for you if you don't have a problem there...........

The issue occurs btw. on the starbound modder community, where I stopped downloading mods because of that.

11. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Checking the link now with shiny new computer and all defenses up.  No malware whatsoever on my end.

12. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I use mediafire for virtually all my uploads, never had an issue with it.  Sure, some of the adverts are a little annoying but I've never had any complaints and I do use it for commissioned work uploads.  I also don't use adblock.

Edit: By the way, good work everyone! :)

13. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Yuh, that's good to hear. (But it wasn't a malware issue I had, but rather mediafire opening another tab _once again_ without my consent... Which I don't like. Which stops me from using mediafire. Which makes me posting here how much you guys should change your upload space..)

Getting ads isn't that bad. But  it's the content shown (half nekkits and scammy promises. Seriously, if I want to see tits and butts, I'd rather go to other places than mediafire ads, ALSO I'm not into tits and butts, why they never show me guys?! >:I ) and the possibility of unwanted malware download contained on those redirect-websites and/or embedded ads. Cookies I don't want to eat, yadda.

Nothing bad happened here, except that _there could have been something happened_ and the general annoyance of our time: redirects+ads.

that's already bad enough. If you're trying to justify the usage of mediafire with "but we're using that uploader ever since!" this is a rather poor excuse in my opinion for zis: lazyness.

14. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I just want to vouch for this dude. He's not entirely wrong.

Mediafire has had its bad run ins as of late. I did get a redirect after I downloaded the first time (nothing specially NSFW or anything), but I tried it four times after I saw this and now I don't get sent away. There's definitely something funky going on but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Still, I do recommend using something else like DB or something under a collective RMW account.

15. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Hyaziha, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.
    I merged your posts.

Enterbrain is not in anyway affiliated in Restaff activities and this is something that we do on our own discretion. They are not obligated to provide anything.

Dropbox isn't a download service provider either. It's meant for private activites and cloud service.

16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Before giving my feedback, I'll just say that I've never had any malware problems with mediafire.  Yes, I accept that the adverts can be annoying, but I personally have never seen anything outrageous.

Archaeia - Ralph groupies everywhere will be thrilled at this.  Nice take on it.  It can't be easy to come up with something fresh when it comes to Ralph portraits, but you've managed.

Avery - As one would expect, icons of the highest quality.  What I particularly liked was the melted cheese running over the side of the slice of pizza.  And also the ammonite fossil in the stone.  Great attention to detail.  That portrait looks like one determined lady!  I personally prefer this slightly more rounded jawline than the pointy one that one usually sees.  With the pointy chin characters I end up doing things like wondering how they fit their bottom teeth in.  So distracting.

Candacis - Timing, everything in life seems to come down to timing.  Yesterday I mapped a barn and thought to myself "competent, but boring".  And now today, a whole range of brilliant tiles arrives on my screen.  And they are indeed good.  Great to have proper barn doors.  And then I saw the piglets and almost fell of my chair as I'd been wishing for some to go with my rather chunky mother pig.  This is an excellent addition to my store cupboard of goodies.

Caz - The RM gods are smiling upon me.  This place that has the barn and pig sty is a smallholding run by a woodcutter.  And there I see a new axe in a block of wood, perfect to add to the other things.  This particular map is going to wow people whereas before it would have been somewhat bland.

Chaos Avian - If it weren't for the fact that I'm using animated side view battlers, these would be in there.  Nice new take on the rafflesia, and those stoolers look like they not only mean business, but know how to dish it out.

hiddenone - Now if only my woodcutter's smallholding had a pond I could put some ducks on their and sit back in admiration.  Unfortunately no space, but maybe if I went back to another place, I could just... Hmm.  It's good to have the variety as well as the choice of swimming or waddling.  Can I be greedy and float the idea of ducklings at you?  Those squirrels are delightful.

Matseb - Our very own resource factory strikes again.  I particularly like the additional battle transitions, as up until recently there weren't all that many quality ones to choose from, and frankly I was bored rigid from seeing the default one turn up almost everywhere.  Now there's no excuse.  And I notice you even did them in the 2 main sizes.  Greek items, Athena, Roman soldiers - you're certainly responding to people's requests for Classic Antiquity resources.  I particularly liked the standard bearer.  Having a sprite like that turns a bunch of soldiers into a proper army unit.

Palladinthug - Not only good, but also interesting.  Great to have more variety in the range of playable animal sprites.  Though as the bears are in such a different art style, I am assuming that these are not meant to be used together.  Is that right?  I started wondering if the tiger and lions were destined for 2k3, but I'm not really knowledgeable about that engine.

slimmeiske2 - I don't think I've ever seen an adult red Riding Hood.  Nice contrasts between the child and adult versions, which given the scale, is not easy I would imagine.  The cat and the Queen both fit their fairytale settings well, but actually, I think are versatile enough to be used in other settings too.

Thalzon - I've always particularly enjoyed your take on household appliances.  I know the feeling that the kettle is out to get me, and that the teapot has been longing to get revenge for the time I accidently put coffee in it.  You bring all my worst imaginings to life.  I do hope that your home is not like this.

DesperateMeasurez

Forward March! I am always slightly inhibited making comments as I am not a musician, and so can never be sure if what I'm commenting on was the intended effect or not.  But I found all the clashing cymbals at the beginning a bit too much.  Perhaps it was the coupling with the slightly discordant trumpet and either would have been fine on its own, but I didn't like the combination, unless it were for a very specific use as e.g. to accompany a somewhat disfunctional army in maybe a dystopian setting.

Unholy Desecration - I've been listening at lot recently to 'eerie', 'weird', 'unholy', or similar terms, tracks as I need a couple for where I'm mapping next, so my ear is well tuned to this at the moment.  And I have to say, I think this track is excellent.  It amply depicts what the title suggests.

What are these monsters - Great track, which could be used in more ways than just a battle theme.  Great rhythmn which carries the melody along.

McTricky

Battle Royale - Good all-purpose battle theme for probably mid to late game.  Because of the diverse instrumentation it's likely to fit with a fairly wide range of dungeon themes, which is always a benefit.

Decisive Skirmish - For a moment at the beginning I thought I'd clicked Battle Royale again, as the start seemed very similar.  It lives up to its title.

Nuances of Valor - Again the same reaction.  These 3 are all closely linked, which means that one can either have a game with cohesive music by using all 3, or one might decide that having them all would be a bit repetitive.  Close call, I think, and ultimately down to personal preference.

Occult at arms - Love the solo violin which adds a plaintive quality to the track.  In the end, all fighting and bloodshed must be a matter of regret, and this conveys that, even while acknowledging that the call to arms might be needed.

Yggdrasil's Sword - Because I was listening to these in the order they were listed I heard the 'without vox and shaku' version first.  Fascinating how they almost seemed like 2 totally different tracks.

Overall: another great release with lots of things that I personally would want to use, and with enough variety to appeal to a range of tastes and games.  So well done everyone.

17. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Thanks, man!

Also, if you google it, there's a lot of stuff going on the interwebs where people had bad experiences (and not with the content they've downloaded, but with the ads and redirects. The first search results I got where quite a lot entries from a minecraft forums alone: 

aaaaaand others there. And others on other forums/places.

Sure, presumingly _most_ people won't have troubles there and it seems somehow random what and to whome something happens there, but still. Why taking unneccessary risks? Interwebsebola is bad, babies. It's really really bad.

Thanks for merging! (I received the message that there where posts posted between my post, soooooooooooooooo... that was unintentionally)

But they could, which would be great for its users, right?

we aren't a cloud of content creating community users, no?

I still don't see where your argument for continuing with mediafire here, sorry...

Sounds  a bit stubbonr, to be honest...

18. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    As someone who is maintaining one of the biggest scripting blogs here and as EX-Restaff Lead, Dropbox is a terrible choice and I would like to reiterate a few things before you jump into assumptions since you clearly didn't understand the point.

1. Dropbox's public links has been removed for free users. Therefore you need to invest money if you want to do so.
    2. There is a bandwith limit per month on your dropbox account. ReStaff download sizes reached upto 100mb to 200 mb per release these past few years. Especially on very active months. Therefore, you will reach that monthly limit REALLY FAST as we had proven this around 2013~2014.
    3. About Enterbrain: They are not obligated even if they can. That costs money and they aren't paying us or asking us to do this. So they are not obligated to do so and shouldn't be brought up even to this conversation since this point is moot. Pointing fingers at a company that isn't related to this is just silly.
    4. We moved around download providers three times and at one point used the official server until it actually slowed down the site. Mediafire is the most stable and efficient for our needs.
    If you don't want mediafire then recommend another service that isn't dropbox is the point. We had been using mediafire for a LONG, long time and haven't gotten any issues until you started talking about it. We're open for suggestions. 

19. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks so much once again. I often would love to write something to everyone like ksjp17, but as I am still a newbie there is not much that is coming to my mind except, that I am stunned by your skill.

And always when I want some of your cool pieces into my game, I think that I should have a game that is at least as cool as your pieces before I get them together. However I still love to collect all the bits and pieces and your music is running non-stop in winamp on my computer here.

Cheers!!!

(P.S.: @Hyaziha I am using: https://getadblock.com/share/ just keep in mind to open some of the mediafire ads from time to time, since that's, I think, their only income)

20. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As Archeia says, a professional Dropbox account to accommodate the amount of traffic these releases bring would be pretty expensive for a voluntary pack like this. The ReStaff contributions aren't ever paid for, and everything you see in this area of the forum is completely voluntary.

While it is frustrating to see that you're having issues downloading the pack, we've never had any problems with using MediaFire until now, and you're the only person to have brought up something like this. If you can come up with another, better way to upload large packs like this though, I'd be more than willing to try them out so that you can still download this without issue. 

Susan and Pine like this.