ReStaff June 2015

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Caz, Jun 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ Ksjp17: Thank you for the feedback! Just wanted to mention that I had some battle transitions in December 2014 ReStaff too, though they were only in default resolution. If you need any of those in 640x480, let me know, and I'll resize them. :D

Susan and felsenstern like this.
  2. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Archeia, I honestly don't want to involve myself in this and this is the last post I'll make in this thread because it has been derailed enough, but I really think you're being unreasonable. The guy is making a suggestion, you should just tell him it will be considered and reviewed and thank him (even if it means nothing to you).

Just another suggestion.

Anyways, good job ReStaff team! That duck looks particularly nice too btw ;P

Zefreonzack, Mihel and The Stranger like this.
  3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Stating facts and how we came to using mediafire is far from being unreasonable. And as we have mentioned already we are open to suggestionsAnd had always been in the past. Just saying mediafire is bad and just use a paid service when this is a voluntary effort that has zero income is not going to help anyone.

4. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know exactly where she's coming from because I've had the same issue trying to find large scale upload providers for as long as I've been here, so I don't think she's being unreasonable when she says it's not feasible to use something like Dropbox due to bandwidth limitations. But this is obviously an issue so I'm more than willing to let it be discussed so that we can find a resolution, rather than sweeping it under the rug like that.

As I say, we have totally considered an issue like this for a long time, even though it's seemed like such a non-issue to downloaders until now. If it's a problem preventing someone from enjoying these assets, then of course it means something to us and of course we want to resolve it in a way that could even potentially better people's download experience for future releases. Our only issue is finding a provider for the service, which we're remaining open to suggestion for.

5. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Don't want to annoy you, but for me I would like to have battlebacks and transitions as high (up to hd) as possible. Right now I am playing around a lot with HD/4 and I have to buy non-RM resources or render/draw them myself because everything here is very low res.

P.S.: Archeia is a girl too... I slowly feel a bit outnumbered here ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  6. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    pst, try using this. Here's an example.

7. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not a problem. :) The reason I did 544x416 and 640x480 is because they're the most used resolutions among RM games. I am unfamiliar at the moment which are the most common with HD, and doing these for every resolution out there would take a lot of time. Of course, if you (or anyone) wishes me to resize any of these to a specific resolution for your game, then let me know and I'll do that.

Susan and felsenstern like this.
  8. felsenstern

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    wow, that is impressive.

@Matseb: seems my problems are solved with this impressive site. Thanks for all your contributions and it's a honor writing with you after reading your name so often amongst the other ReStaff Legends while I sorted and indexed 3 years of ReStaff ;-).

Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Matseb

Yes, I have your earlier transitions, though I'm not using them in my current project as I had already done a custom one for myself.  But I think that putting more out there can only be a good thing because this is one of the aspects of RM that tends to get overlooked in many games so that it is not a conscious choice to use the default (which is fine) but a non-choice because the person didn't register that there are other options.  This is probably not the clearest paragraph I've ever written, but I hope you get the idea.

@Archeia

I didn't know about that site.  Great to have the links.  Thank you.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  10. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    >

1. That's simply not true. I just checked that with my own account- I uploaded a file to my free account and then checked that on private mode, where I'm not logged due to google chromes privacy settings. You're not logged in anywhere when you're using the private mode. Please go here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hux7m0n1febtlmw/Screenshot_2015-05-21_02_46_51_723259.jpg?dl=0 (Random sWTOR screenshot)
    I was able to view that file from a free account, not logged into my own. If you want, I can screenshot you the website I got here, with the "sign in"-button on the right corner.

>

I'm going to quote myself here:

>

Besides that, being a scripter doesn't mean you're always right, because obviously you aren't regarding dropbox- and my posts, where you claimed I didn't mention other options... 

Thanks.

Thanks to Felsenstern for the suggestion with adblock, but I'm already using AdBlockPlus on Google chrome, which is fine in like 99% of time :3

Edit:

on another note:

Script can be posted on various sites.

Images can be posted on imgur and can have their own pretty neat galleries.

sounds can be uploaded to soundcloud (I admit I'm not familiar anymore with SC regarding limitations, I think quite a lot changed there in the last 5 years when I used that site last time)

other than that, .zip and any other file can be uploaded to google drive. However, there's a limitation to file sizes, but that's something that can be managed aswell, like splitting between Part1&Part2 or maybe sound+graphics, which would make it easier for the people to download- what if someone is only interested in sounds or graphics but has to download the other everytime aswell?

but hey, that's just a theory...

11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I personally would not favour putting it on Steam.  A lot of people do not have a Steam account and would be excluded.  Or they do not have their copy of the engine on Steam and so cannot download what I think would count as dlc.

Hyaziha likes this.
  12. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    #1 The reason all of Yanfly Dropbox Links are dead is because Dropbox Public Links are dead and it used a free account. Maybe they changed it again, but the links has not been returned one bit. IT MEANS, once that Dropbox knows that you are redistributing public links for mass downloading (e.g. 1000 users per month), it will block your account entirely for public distribution. Probably. I don't know what Dropbox's deal is but if it blocks text files then it sure as hell would block images/music/etc. Dropbox also has caused mass hysteria that a lot of people here know about when Victor/Yanfly/Yami script links went down. That's something we don't want to happen ever again.

#2 STEAM, is something that I have already done and has a Cloud Limit for EVERY user which makes it unfitting for ReStaff. Especially since I know how the workshop works. Right now ReStaff archives reaches 3.05 gigs and not counting 2015 latest releases  You can also upload 100 MB per file only and people tend to miss things in steam, like the DLC folder. I know, I do support there and I even made the official Workshop images and beta testing. It can also crash if Steam Servers said f*ck you and renders all uploads useless.

#3. I didn't see Google Drive in your post, but I'm pretty sure Google has some bandwidth cap to it or some file limitations that we could look into. I heard some of it but I didn't plan to check it out when it caused my 100 mb files to keep cutting off due to distribution/internet issues before at certain work-related areas which was a huge pain.

#4 SOUNDCLOUD requires a pro account if you want more 'minutes' in place. It also does its own compression rendering which makes MP3/OGG files sound awful even more. Uploading WAV files that could easily reach 1 gig would be suicidal for the uploader.

#5 IMGUR is a terrible idea considering how many times that site can go into maintenance due to traffic and would cause naming issues as it saves filenames as qqwrrqs.png instead of $something.png. As well as not giving credit to where credit is due. The text files in Restaff files so you would know who to credit.

But as I said, I used to handle Restaff before I passed the responsibility to Caz and have encountered issues with widescale distribution for files. We can talk about this not in this topic and site feedback if you want further discussion.

Candacis likes this.
  13. Hyaziha

Hyaziha Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    post scripts on pastebin or google for example. google drive also has a text editor, spread sheets...

haven't read much anymore since that, since TL;DR.

what am I doing here, it's pointless and you're making the impression of thinking yourself as ze uberlolgod here because you're a scriptorandwhatnot so..., I'm going to play SWTOR again, it's currently pointless here with you, so... cheers.

have fun with the ads and ... questionable goodies that comes for free with the ads.

14. felsenstern

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mediafire is a good and reliable download server and with an adblocker in place, there are no ads or hijackings, so I have no idea what it is you are still discussing here. If addblockplus can't block the ads from Mediafire, I suggest to change the addblocker here.

And Google Drive and Dropbox are aweful.

Candacis likes this.
  15. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Aside from what I said that I used to handle Restaff distribution before and even noted the issues of your suggestions as we have tried them already? You can be offended if you want but it doesn't change the underlying issues of your suggestions.

16. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia and the rest of admins, may I have your attention?

Downloading Restaff from Mediafire was a strange experience, explaining what the other guy said.

Mediafire probably monetized those links, by putting ads.

For instance the "ad" I saw is in the spoiler:

Not to mention I got Ad block plus installed, but this is a redirection to a site, not an ad.

I will be back with useful feedback for our beloved  Restaff members.

In the meantime, you should check out this I suppose.

17. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Yeah it is something that happened recently, but I use Adblocker to bypass it. The site won't get redirected until you download first. But as we have stated, we would need to find another hosting site that is OK with us uploading over 3.04 gigs + worth of files and remain stable. :)

Dreadshadow likes this.
  18. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Desperate MEaseurez:

Forward March!: A wemm made piece for epic armies marching to a battlefield I suppose.

Unhly Desecration: If Pink Floyd would like to make a horror piece back in 70s it would probably sound like that. Psychedelic and uncanny. Loved it.

What Are These Monsters: I like your panning on this and the melodies are very catchy. Fantastic for battle, as intended I suppose.

McTricky:

Battle Royale: Interesting, but there are a LOT of things happening on this piece. I can listen to this all right, but it is seriously overloaded with stuff. :)

Decisive Skirmish: So so but really intense. It's not my cup of tea but well done! Sounds good.

Nuances of Valor: Great epic music for an epic battle or event! Fantastic piece and well mixed. I ca say that is a little left channel biased but it is well made anyway. 

Occult At Arms!: Another epic music piece. I have nothing bad to say.

Yggdrasil's Sword (both versions): It seems they are really interesting.

Graphics:

Thalzon:

Wow! Your style has changed a bit. And this is good I suppose. Very nice battlers. Stone made me laugh and I cna say that I like it a lot! :D  

slimmmeiske2: As always brings great stuff, a cat and great characters. Great add ons for games.

Palladinthug: Those animals are great, but I can't said I could understand the exact terms they come with.

Matseb2611: Transitions, busts, characters, effects, tilesets, WTF man! Wow! Fantastic amount and quality of resources.

hiddenone : brings squirrel and duck (it rhymes, could not resist!) and both of them are fantastic.

Chaos Avian: This can be the begining of a grat hostile forest enemies set. What are the terms though? :/

Caz: Made tilesets for XP. Fantastic. I love the laundry! :D  

Candacis: Did anyone said "I need a farm"? Canadics nailed it!

Avery: First off, you made me hungry. As for the big bust, I could not say it was Artemis, ( a bow could reveal her identity) but in general the scetch has greek characteristics. Fantastic work, she really looks like a caucasian. Well made, well done!

Archeia: After Ralph quit being the bear lord, he became a zoo keeper. :p Very nice Archeia!

19. felsenstern

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]
    That's my browser window after clicking the restaff download link. And I don't get a single ad or redirect (what's not really fair for mediafire).

my configuration: Windows XP, Firefox, Adblock (without plus)

20. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English