Rules ReStaff Resources Commercial Usage

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Archeia, Jan 12, 2013.

1. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's good to have this thread so we can find commercial terms of use for the ReStaff resources.

And a big thank you to all of the contributors who provide resources to the community. :)

Dreadshadow likes this.
  2. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What about DesperateMeasurez? Or is he under a different name.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @theOddFellow

DesperateMeasurez = Darren Curtis.  He always puts a text file in any folder of his work which tells you which, if any, tracks are available for commercial.

DesperateMeasurez likes this.
  4. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you. I'm blown away by The Phantom's Castle, and it would work amazing for the setting for the big boss. So I became overly curious and had to post my question on this thread. Once again, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2014
    DesperateMeasurez likes this.
  5. DesperateMeasurez

DesperateMeasurez Darren Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it. Basically all of the stuff I do for the ReStaff releases is available for commercial use or however you want. You can always check the text file like ksjp17 mentioned just to double check. But usually, as a rule of thumb, if I release it for ReStaff it's free to use however you like with credit. If you ever have any questions, just in case, feel free to send a PM and I'll answer when I can.

Shinma and Traveling Bard like this.
  6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Thank-you; with ReStaff December tread I could find the credit tread.

(How does Restaff works?  Anyone can submit anything?  Should we host or send it any particular way if so?)

7. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Check out this page over here for information on becoming a Guest Contributor. Create your resources, upload them and then use the template in that thread to PM them to me. They'll then undergo quality control and - if they meet the standards - they'll be included in the next release.

Anyone is welcome to submit resources so long as they are appropriate for use in current RM and they meet the quality standards. You can host the files however you like, but I recommend something like Mediafire or Dropbox for a stable place to upload large files. If it's just an image or two, you might be best using Imgur or a similar image hosting website.

8. BlissAuthority

BlissAuthority Dang, it feels good to be a Princess Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Please don't forget, when asking permission to use resources for a commercial project, to describe the project and any potentially offensive elements of it in your permission request.

I'd like to thank Pandamaru, as long as she's here, for being super helpful about providing resources for The Prince and the Dragon.  Large areas of the Zehiran Emirate and Lost Pyramid of Horakhti would not exist without her tilesets and kind permission to use them.

9. Cosmic Architect

Cosmic Architect Architect of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello, I would like to use these resources in my first game if that would be ok. I don't plan on asking for money to get it(this is my first game I plan on publishing after all ^^), but I will ask for donations. It's going to be something of a darker RPG(kinda like a mystery in some ways I've heard) but I don't believe there is anything offensive. Unless you count demons of course. There are going to be a lot of those.

10. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Some artists consider any sort of financial gain as "commercial", so if you receive donations it may fall under the same terms as commercial. If you do plan to ask for donations, you will still want to ensure you're only using the resources that developers have allowed freely for commercial use.

Otherwise if they have terms associated with their resources for commercial use or have stated "no" to commercial use at all, you would need to check with them to see if they consider donations as a form of commercial profit.

11. Cosmic Architect

Cosmic Architect Architect of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, thank you! I've been careful to ask about that whenever it wasn't clear, I can understand why many consider it commercial.

12. Cjdgame

Cjdgame The Azure Falcon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just recently decided to try to make a game and market it commercially. I was wondering if it was okay to edit the commercial free resources from the packs to fit certain needs? I don't want to step on anyone's toes and get in trouble.

13. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've always thought that allowing edits is part of allowing people to use it, but that's just me.  I'm fine with any of my stuff (which isn't much, I know).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    Dalph and Caz like this.
  14. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Same here. I am fine with all of my stuff to be edited and used commercially. It was my gift to the community. ;)

Dalph and Susan like this.
  15. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So long as you have the original artist's permission, I don't see why not~

Dalph and Susan like this.
  16. Cjdgame

Cjdgame The Azure Falcon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, thank you for your responses. At my stage I'm not really in need to worry about resources but I feel like it's never too early to ask.

And while I'm at it thank you all for your efforts in expanding the community's resources!  :D

Matseb2611 likes this.