ReStaff September - October 2014

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Caz, Oct 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    YAY restaff!

• Avery: Looks good, but no terms
    • Candacis: Everything looks good, but the cake is a lie
    • Caz: Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccce.
    • Chaos Avian: I love that squirrel 
    • Justin zalett: Great icons!  Love the sword having different levels
    • kj3400: Simple yet effective arrows
    • leilaheliday: too cute these window skins are.
    • Liberty:  Love the bloody water.
    • Matombo: iT'S A TRAP.  Although I thought they were regular doors at first.
    • Matseb: NEED MORE ANIMATED BATTLERS
    • Palladinthug: Moar DS stuff, Moar happiness.
    • PandaMaru: those trees won't stop starring at me!
    • Thalzon: Gangster Mushrooms (they look like they gonna mess something up).
    • DesperateMeasurez:  Awesome music.  this calls for despera..*shot*
    • JohnnyR: I will never think of jumping the same with those sound effects.
    • Scythuz:  You made the song Let the star fall down get stuck in my head with one of the song titles (which is also an awesome song).
    edit: I am sad about the lack of sound effects though ):

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmm..... Just give me a few weeks! ;)

Nice thing stating what is missing. I will make some stuff for all of you! ;)

Depending on an answer I expect, SFX might be on next restaff or on the free DLC (if accepted)

EDIT: I WILL include some new stuff (SFX as requested) for the free DLC. If they are included as accpeted resources, you will all get them through the DLC. Otherwise I will submit them for the next Restaff.

PandaMaru and Candacis like this.
  3. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I notice a little glicht in PandaMaru Forest Bunch.... like when I do a bunch and I want to complete it with some tree for make it less squary I can't corret a corner..well the image show what I mean 

Look in the corner of the forest and you will understand

[​IMG]

Bukarett and PandaMaru like this.
  4. DesperateMeasurez

DesperateMeasurez Darren Curtis Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry about that on my part, nio! I had a lot of things getting in my way this time around. I hope to contribute more for the coming release if I can. I slacked big time!

Thanks to everyone who has given feedback. It's all welcome whether positive or critical. I like hearing what people enjoyed and what they did not!

5. PandaMaru

PandaMaru little red panda Restaff

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @nio kasgami

You are right. It needs two more tiles for this case. I must rearrange the set.

[​IMG]

I hope this will do it.

Example for use:

[​IMG]

E = Event-Layer

Edit:

:( Now I see there are also the same with the other trees, but I'm running out of tiles on the sheet.

6. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    thanks saddly I can't see the picture due my internet lag but tomorow I will give you proper feedback on your fix when I will get on the main computer!

Bonkers likes this.
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This set is absolutely gorgeous! I THOUGHT I had all the sprites I needed for my game (and in fact the maps have long been complete) ... but now I have to go back and implement lots of these :D

The graphics are all excellent (based on the preview)! Now to download and listen to the music. Thank you all for the hard work you've put into this.

8. PandaMaru

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made an addon for easyer use:

[​IMG]

Now I think about how I can fill the holes (14 tiles) on the other sheet.

Any suggestions?

Alkorri, Juunanagou, Shaz and 3 others like this.
  9. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The feedbacketh cometh!

Graphics:

Avery: Ooh Steampunk ,awesome!  I hope we see more of this overtime, there's not enough steampunk resources/games out there.

Candacis: I shall label this the "Make a Festival Pack" and an awesome pack it is!  Thank you for including a screenshot demonstrating how you would use the tiles, it's much appreciated.

Caz: You have boldly gone where no man has ever gone before, well done Cazkirk!

Chaos Avian: Love your battlers as always, I kinda wish you'd also taken on the sci-fi theme too as I know you could make some cool stuff there too!

Justin Zalett: Pretty cool icons, thanks for contributing!

Kj3400: I think I might use these arrows in a puzzle in my game once I'm able to work on it again, good job!

leilaheliday: Thanks for putting together another cool gui for the community.

Ksi/Liberty: Pretty cool rtp edits Libby! I like that you remembered that a lot of things die in autumn too; as morbid as it is haha.

Matombo: Thank you for the trap doors, now I can have a secret basement of my own...

Matseb:  You've outdone yourself this time man, I am a particular fan of the robot!

Palladinthug: I'm glad you thought outside the box a bit for this one, some great modern ds sprites here.

Pandamaru: Wow, very impressive!  So much goodness!

Thalzon: The mushroom clan has arrived, lock your doors and bar your windows!

Music:  Can't test for looping since my ace isn't working, so I'll just comment on songs themselves, sorry guys! >.<

Desperatemeasurez: 

Drifting Through Space: Very atmospheric, I kinda thought I was playing Starbound for a moment there! 
    Exotic Plains: This one is my favourite I think, very well done indeed!

Johnny R: 

BGM:

Ensemble of Souls:  This one is pretty cool, I wish it was a little longer though, it feels like it doesn't get to show everything it wants to otherwise.
    Memories of a Better Time: So far this is my favourite, it reminds me a lot of the Memoria area from Final Fantasy 9 so I might be a little biased, length is fine for this one too.
    Space Melody:  Has everyone been playing Starbound or something recently?  This is the second track that's reminded me of it... maybe I need to go play it.  
    Ahemm, the track is pretty good but I don't think there's quite enough variation in it, I appreciate that you've tried to add some in the form of bass but personally I don't think it quite goes far enough.

BGS: These are a pretty cool idea and I appreciate you trying something new but I have two problems.  
    1. They all sound a bit too similar.
    2. Some of them are clipping ever so slightly, might want to be a little more careful with the volume next time, always check them in audacity/similar software after you export/bounce to disk.

SE: Same problem as number 1 above, we have a pitch shifter built into rm so we kinda don't need all these different variants when the sound is simplistic like this?
    Nonetheless I appreciate you trying something new.
    Well done all!

10. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't open this spoiler tag if you want to stay sane:

GRAPHICS:

@Avery:
    These are some very nice tiles and I agree with nio...the textures on the metal parts are simply awesome. The table and the chairs look great too, beautiful job. Looking forward to see more steampunk stuff from you in future. Sadly no terms of use, but I assume they're the same of your other materials...or not?
    @Candacis:
    Everything is gorgeous, I especially like the tents and how everything fits perfectly well with the RTP. The behavior poses are seriously impressive. You, PandaMaru and Liberty are my saviours, as an RTP fan I always appreciate a lot the materials made in that style. I would like to see Christmas or snowy stuff from you for the next Restaffs.
    @Caztrek\Cazpock:
    Such details on the ship display, looks great ingame! I also appreciate the hairless templates, I just need to add hair and I'll be ready to create the crew of this spaceship.I dunno if someone else already made or suggested that, but I would like to see tiles for Alien planets in DS style, or maybe organic ones (inside the body of an huge alien\monster or something like that). Very beautiful tiles though, as always these are great add-ons for the DS+ pack, great job Cazpock.
    @Chaos Avian:
    These battlers are just...wow. That Skurrel is just brilliant, ahahahah...that's a neat concept and idea for a battler. I already told you this in your thread, but I would like to see entities from the Cthulhu Mythos with your artstyle in future (especially Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos), sadly magellan is the only one who made them. Awesome work btw.
    @Justin Zalett:
    Very nice icons, I like the variety and the greens that you used. More icons from you are always appreciated, maybe go with food or potions for the next Restaff.
    @kj3400:
    I needed this, I remember Kelarly used animated arrows for his old games, these are very useful when positioned on map transfer events. Good job...Hmph.

For the next Restaff you can make cursors or maybe new baloon icons with different emotions.
    @leilaheliday:
    As I said in the previous Restaffs, leila's windowskins are among my favourites...they're very nice and they fit for every game (doesn't matter much the theme).
    I would like to see a dark\creepy windowskin from you, for horror games, there aren't a lot of them around if I'm not mistaken.
    They look really awesome but the blue windowskin that you made in the previous Restaff is still my favourite, so far nothing can beat it.
    @Liberty:
    Nice colour scheme and great edits of the RTP, these look really good ingame. The bloody water and the dying forest are great ideas. More tile edits in RTP style are always welcomed Libby, maybe ancient temples or a jungle. Good job.
    @Matombo:

Neat idea and execution, that trapdoor in RTP style can be extremely useful for every game. Maybe for the next Restaff you can make secret passages behind bookcases or fireplaces.
    @Matseb2611:
    That was a very nice surprise Matseb, I didn't know that you can create such neat animations...the animated battlers look awesome ingame and that Alien Robot is both funny and impressive. Good job on these tiles too, they're absolutely perfect for horror and sci-fi games. More animated battlers in RTP style from you would be greatly appreciated by me, I'll be honest here I would like to see the RTP characters being animated (Ralph ecc..).
    @Palladinthug:
    Beautiful job on the Fire Man, you made it from scratch and that's awesome, these police men can be very useful for every DS game in modern setting, great idea. I would like to see more pirates\cowboys\clowns sprites in DS style or maybe robots. Also kudos on you for making Isaac, I'm sure Indrah will appreciate it. These sprites and the Lighthouse Beam are very useful, awesome job palladin.
    @PandaMaru:
    Simply awesome tiles. There's really a lot of useful stuff for Autumn and Halloween games, I especially like the trees, the pumpkins and how everything is in a perfect RTP style...beautiful work. You already made Christmas materials if I remember right so I would like to see a drowned city (like Atlantis) or ruins tiles from you. I appreciate also the rounded tiles, these look really awesome ingame.
    @Thalzon:
    I'm sure Naia will approves this. Thank God you're around bro, we have really a lot of choices for battlers thanks to you. Some brilliant designs among them, gorgeous work. I honestly dunno what to suggest to you, you pretty much always made everything...ahahahah

MUSIC:

@DesperateMeasurez:

Drifting Through Space is very calm and relaxing, can fit for both a spaceship (for Caz's tiles), an alien planet or even a cutscene.

Exotic Plains sounds very oriental, I can see it fit for an intro cutscene or a dungeon or even a character theme, it's very flexible.

Awesome tracks so far, I forgot if you made indian or arabic music themes before, if you didn't then this might be my suggestion for the next Restaffs. Or maybe you can make an overworld theme (with a few variations, like normal\ship\airship).
    @JohnnyR:

Ensemble of Souls sounds very magic, it's good for an intro cutscene, a protagonist theme or even a dungeon...I like this track a lot but I agree with Scythuz here, I wish it was a bit longer than 48 seconds.

Memories of a Better Time is nostalgic, can fit for a mystic place, a flashback or a sad cutscene. I think I might use this track for something because I like how it sounds.

Space Melody is perfect for a prologue cutscene with scrolling text, I can totally see this track for it...it's very appropriate.

The BGS and the SE can be very useful too, the SE are very 8-bit....reminds me about a few old platform games. Very nice work.

More sci-fi themes from you in future or maybe BGS.
    @Scythuz:

Stars Will Fall is a really awesome villain theme, dark and very ambiguous, may fit for an evil alien entity or something like that. I like this track a lot, took me a while to stop listening to it, ahahahah.

Stay on Target can be used as a battle theme, a cutscene, a pub or even a futuristic city, very nice flexibility and great potential.

The Sophisticated Man is sorta mysterious, can be used for a sci-fi detective game if you ask me. Great idea and execution.

Warp Factor 5.2 is another nice battle theme but can be used for a lot of other things too, cutscenes, characters, even futuristic cities, the possibilities are so many...I like how it sounds from 0:57.

Withering Leaves is a sad theme, suits probably for a death scene but I'm not entirely sure...maybe it can work well even  for a dream or a flashback. Awesome tracks so far, Stars Will Fall is obviously my favourite (because I'm biased, eheheheh).

I don't remember if you made circus themes before, if not this may be my suggestion in future (they can be used with PandaMaru's circus tiles), if you made them already then make themes for minigames (fishing\running\party stuff\ecc...).

-

Overall, great job to everyone! There's really a lot of nice stuff in this Restaff. I'm kinda sad that there aren't scripts though, I wanted to submit something but I don't have the right skills yet, but in future I'll gladly do it.

To all the others:

Give feedback to the Restaff guys, they worked very hard on it and they totally deserve that. You don't have to make insanely huge posts like mine, I believe that even small ones are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
    Susan, Chaos Avian, Bonkers and 8 others like this.
  11. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It took me forever to write this because of distracting people (you know who you are). :)

Graphics

Avery-I think these tiles are great because they will easily fit steam punk while still finding use for many other things as well.

Candasis-I will definitely use these. The lanterns are a beautiful touch to make for an even more lovely covered market.

Caz-I think these are creative tiles that will find a lot of use. I never would have thought of them myself!

Chaos Avian-Your battlers are cute, creepy, and weird; exactly what I like. The Skurrel is <3.

Justin Zalett-Nice set of icons. Very usable!

kj3400-Never hurts to have more indicators!

Leilaheliday-All the colors! I love how you use so many colors. 

Liberty-Oh! I like the water. Very scary. XD

Matombo-Finally. I can hatch my diabolical plans.

Matseb-Quite the lineup! I think many will get good use out of these. I really love that robot.

Palladinthug-I like that you've made fire and police men. Every town needs them and now we have them! I think many people will use and appreciate these

PanduMaru-I love these and I will absolutely have many uses for these. This is so a wonderful and generous contriubtion! I'm really floored!

Thalzon-Is it bad to say I love shrooms? 

Music

Desperate Measurez- I love that "Drifting through Space" has that acoustic element left in the harp. It's unexpected against the rest of the insturments, ambiance, and theme; so I really enjoy that.

"Exotic Plains" I could be seen used in town settings very easily or even as a character/event scene. I think it's a versatile track. 

Johnny R- I really enjoy the chords in "Ensemble of Souls" though I feel like it could have easily developed more and swept even more into those major chords. I don't feel a sense of resolution anywhere. "Memories of a better time" can easily be used for cutscenes, character themes, or story events. Really solid piece.

Scythuz- "Stars Will Fall" I can imagine this piece being used for a number of things. I like the high pitched twangy patch (that vocabulary), that is what makes the 'stars' for me. I think this would be most suited for dungeon/puzzle areas. There's a sense of suspense in it.

"Stay on Target" could be a character theme (a really kick ass one) or even a base location of some sort. "The Sophiscated Man" has probably been my favorite of the bunch. I really enjoy the melody in it. I feel though, that those crash cymbals sprinkled throughout may be a bit too hard for the inherent softness of most of the patches, though. They really explode from the rest of the track.

"Warp Factor 5.2" has a great melody but I'm having trouble imagining what it could be used for. The bass lead is just a tad bit too, chunky (that vocab again) for me. The part at :30 is also feels misfit a little. I loved the first section of the song and was very pleased when it led back into it.

"Withering Leaves" being an orchestral and acoustic piece I think could benefit from some more sweeping dynamic depth and a little more reverb. The instrumentation is lovely and I'd very much like a hear a few more orchestral pieces in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  12. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    if this for more idea of the sheet I suggest some building add-on this is a automm and spooky halloween so maybe some construction wall and maybe a recollor of the autotiles forest? 

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Holes ... in tree trunks :) I could have sworn I saw more of them in the planning thread.

Maybe a rope & tyre swing for that big tree?

A branch or two with some little critters?

A tree with fruit? What fruits in autumn?

Bonkers likes this.
  14. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Apple, Cranberry, Pear, and Cherries off the top of my head.

@Nio Take a look at the help image I included.  It will show you have to set up the move route.  If you're still a bit lost I'll make a new light resource to show a proper tutorial and get something used for interiors that people will want to use as well.

15. PandaMaru

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Holes are filled already (Link) but maybe I will add some of your sugesstions on the new sheet with the trees.

The autum-set matches with my older woods-set (Link).

@Shaz

The trees you have seen are on another tileset you could find in the release-download. I only post this one because of the glitch Nio mentioned.

16. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ah, that explains it all :) I'm still waiting to have time to download and pull everything apart. At least I'm not going crazy :D

17. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  18. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay I finally got to do this! After I started typing and accidentally clicked another window, thus deleting everything I typed.. ahahahaaa ooopssss..

But yeah! A lot of you guys already know my thoughts, but I thought I'd elaborate here! Well done everyone, I'm really happy with what you all came out with this time!

Avery:
    These tiles are stunning! Though I confess I love the design of the table in particular. It's got that incredible Victorian interior vibe to it!
    Candacis: I have to say I am impressed by the amount of tiles this time! I am seriously loving the stalls and the food especially, you've such attention to detail.
    Chaos Avian: These are just so dayum cute. I wanna snuggle that Skurrel, skull and all! The improvements in your colouring are starting to really show through here.
    Justin Zalett: I have a feeling these will fit very well into some scifi games. The shape and detail work well with RMVX/A, but perhaps some darker contrast in the colours would help it match up to the RTP better.
    kj3400: These will be so useful for scifi puzzles, or perhaps some ship decoration!
    Leilaheliday: Mmm your windowskins.. they're always so adorable, I seriously love seeing these each month. They make for some exceptionally cute GUIs, and man do they help with the windowboxes in the videos!
    Liberty: Those bloodied tiles are terrifying.. Halloween inspiration, perhaps? The Autumn trees are so refreshing to look at too, and that palette for the dying forest is perfection..
    Matombo: I hadn't considered trapdoors in games before.. No idea why though, as these are a great idea! Not necessarily for traps and puzzles, but the first thing that came to mind was using them in some kind of attic room.
    Matseb: There's an incredible amount of stuff here.. so many new pieces for puzzles, and those battlers! My favourite has to be the animated robots though, especially the one taking his head off, haha!
    Palladinthug: The sprites are adorable.. I love that police outfit, it's so well detailed for something so small! And the wheelchair template is a fantastic addition!
    PandaMaru: Oh wow these Autumn tiles.. there's so much variety here for making indepth maps, and the Halloween stuff fits so nicely with the rest of it too.
    Thalzon: Wow there are a lot here.. these must've taken ages, but they're so well thought out! I love the evolutions, this could be nice for games where the enemies change form as you fight them.

DesperateMeasurez:
    Drifting Through Space has such an outrageously good atmosphere to it. It really fits the title, I love it. The tinkly piano bits are my favourite!
    Exotic Plains sounds so mysterious and badass, the percussion has that certain feeling to it.. like you know you're somewhere you probably don't belong. It has such an air of mystery to it.

JohnnyR:
    The BGS/SE snippets would be amazing in conjunction with some of the puzzle tiles!Ensemble of Souls is such a fantastic and peaceful song, I'm reminded of Motoi Sakuraba actually.. especially some of the flute parts combined with the structure of the piano, it sounds like a very regal and well assembled piece.
    Memories of a Better Time is also very mysterious in a sense it feels more.. "lost?" Like you don't even know what's happening, and it has this well kept, respect demanding melancholy about it that I just adore. The later parts with the deeper piano chords really hit home with the whole theme for me.
    Space Melody has similar vibes to the other two with that piano, but it could definitely only be used in the context of something more extraterrestrial. Again, it has that atmosphere of being "lost" which suits the theme very well.

Scythuz:
    Stars Will Fall has this creepy progression, it's a cool effect with the tinklies later on!
    Stay on Target is a pretty cool beat, it'd be nice as an atmospheric battle tune. It has an awesome level of grunge that I quite appreciate!
    The Sophisticated Man is quite a gentle tune. I think it'd be good as a theme for slums in a scifi game? It has quite gritty undertones as well as an element of sadness or oppression that I think would fit something like that.
    Warp Factor 5.2 starts out as what feels like an upbeat, scifi escape theme, but then it progresses into something a lot darker and scarier. I can't help but think of something sinister out in space following you.. Warp factor 5.2 wouldn't be fast enough to get me away from creepy aliens. :x
    Withering Leaves is by far my favourite. It's so autumnal and subtle. From the instrumentation, you can kinda get these feelings of solemn, regal tones without it being too overbearing or grand. It has such a feeling of solitude throughout from the harp and violin, but the drum gives that extra depth to bring it all out.

19. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please, don't ask...:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Lou Tennant: WAIT A SEC?!

Lou Tennant: THAT is the final boss?!

Lou Tennant: (Dude it totally looks like someone glued rtp tiles together, what do we do?)

Donnie Blaze: (I don't know, but first you need to stop being so self aware.)

-

Thanks to:

Avery, Candacis, Caz, Chaos Avian, JustinZalett, kj3400, leilaheliday, Liberty, Matombo, Matseb2611, Palladinthug, PandaMaru and Thalzon (for the materials).

Scythuz (for the idea and the dialogue of the heroes).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
    Susan, Alkorri, Chaos Avian and 5 others like this.
  20. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha, that's really hilarious there, Dalph. Good mapping too. I'd totally follow the adventures of Donnie Blaze and Lou Tennant if they make it into an actual game. I am guessing that mini-army of bald men must be their expendable redshirts who are going to get killed by the boss. :p

Dalph likes this.